Driver shaft change Stiff to Regular ??

nyckuk

Visit site
I bought my Callaway Rogue driver secondhand 3-4 years ago and it came with a Project X Evenflow 6.0 Stiff 65g shaft.
I have 3/4 slowish swing (from straight - slice ) around 200+ yds
Would i benefit changing to a say 50g regular shaft ??
Whats prompted this is, a few montha ago i bought a Cobra 3 wood with a regular shaft and seem to be hitting it a lot better than my previous stiff flex 3 wood.

Also if i sell my current shaft , what would i expect it to sell for so i can budget for a regular shaft

thanks

RRidges

Visit site
Likely to pick up 10 yards or a bit more. But the softer shaft will also likely increase the amount of slice.
I'd suggest you budget for about £20 less than the price you pay for the replacement. It could also take a while to sell.
All presuming shaft and adapter are in good condition.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What loft is the driver ?
I would try lofting up to its max, to try and drop the spin a bit.
It's probably worth booking a lesson to see if the slice is caused by you rather than the club

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Worth considering weight of the shaft too. After trying various shafts in new drivers with my pro, I opted to stick with the same stiff flex (although I am borderline stiff/reg) but switched my Callaway Rogue to a heavier Aldila shaft to reduce spin. That has gained me about 20 yards and helped with reduced dispersion.

Worth getting on a launch monitor with a pro to ascertain what would be best.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The simplest way o check out the prices is to see what is for sale on ebay and check the sold prices as well.

I bought a Callaway Epic shaft Fujikura Pro 60 last year (bought just for the shaft to try on a Titleist head) and resold it without any adapter on for more than I paid for it.

PS I still have the Callaway adapter if you see a shaft you like without one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just done this.
Got a ping G425 stiff Alta cb.
Changed to a Kuro Kage Tini silver Reg.
Ten yds more length difference and it’s very straight. My speed has dropped off over the years.
I am in the middle and could use stiff or reg. stiff just leaves it right a bit.
A Trackman will save you money in the end by identifying your best fit shaft.
My advice is try a demo driver from your pro with a similar head to your own with as many shafts as you can.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just done this.
Got a ping G425 stiff Alta cb.
Changed to a Kuro Kage Tini silver Reg.
Ten yds more length difference and it’s very straight. My speed has dropped off over the years.
I am in the middle and could use stiff or reg. stiff just leaves it right a bit.
A Trackman will save you money in the end by identifying your best fit shaft.
My advice is try a demo driver from your pro with a similar head to your own with as many shafts as you can.

Funny thing about that was Ping fitter recommended either the Alta in stiff or the Tensei Orange in reg. Just shows you cannot tell stiff or regular with different shaft manufacturers. ( I bought the Tensei as it is the 'better' shaft then bought the Alta on ebay very cheaply the Alta has become my preferred of the 2)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Likely to pick up 10 yards or a bit more. But the softer shaft will also likely increase the amount of slice.
I'd suggest you budget for about £20 less than the price you pay for the replacement. It could also take a while to sell.
All presuming shaft and adapter are in good condition.

why would a softer shaft increase the amount of slice?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny thing about that was Ping fitter recommended either the Alta in stiff or the Tensei Orange in reg. Just shows you cannot tell stiff or regular with different shaft manufacturers. ( I bought the Tensei as it is the 'better' shaft then bought the Alta on ebay very cheaply the Alta has become my preferred of the 2)
Yes the Tensei shafts are stiff in the butt and tip but softer in the middle.
There is no industry standard in stiffness, just to confuse us ;)
I have just bought a Tensei Blue off EBay to try.
I am a bit of a tinker in clubs.

nyckuk

Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far
I know I should get a fitting off a pro but I have to keep the cost down .
Ill guess ill have to try a secondhand one off ebay or Buy/sell on here and if its ok hopefully sell mine for a similar price.
A bit unsure what weight shaft to try

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far
I know I should get a fitting off a pro but I have to keep the cost down .
Ill guess ill have to try a secondhand one off ebay or Buy/sell on here and if its ok hopefully sell mine for a similar price.
A bit unsure what weight shaft to try
That’s the thing.
Buying and selling is fine if you know what your looking for.
Go to a fitter get your specs and buy off eBay.
Your paying for his time you have no obligation to buy from him, but he may have one going cheap.
It might be cost effective in the long run.
And you end up with the right shaft first time.

RRidges

Visit site
why would a softer shaft increase the amount of slice?
It will depend on the swing - why the slice happens in the first place.
If it's due to the swing leaving, or simply having the face open at impact, then the greater lag of the softer shaft is likely mean it's more open at impact, thus more spin and slice. At least, for a 'swinger'. For a 'hitter' there might be no change, or possibly less spin. As a 'swinger', a softer shaft increases my fade.
Likewise, and again depending on timing of strike, greater loft could cause either less or more 'vertical' spin.
A fitting is the best way to resolve what an individual actually does with particular shafts and it can vary according to the attributes of each shaft. But playing around with shafts can be 'fun' and not necessarily particularly expensive - at least to prices of a new Driver!

Last edited:

RRidges

Visit site
Yes the Tensei shafts are stiff in the butt and tip but softer in the middle.
There is no industry standard in stiffness, just to confuse us ;)
I have just bought a Tensei Blue off EBay to try.
I am a bit of a tinker in clubs.
Years ago, Cleveland (I think) produced a set of 4 numbers for loads of shafts according to stiffness in 4 sections of each shaft. That was as close as anyone came to standards in shafts.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will depend on the swing - why the slice happens in the first place.
If it's due to the swing leaving, or simply having the face open at impact, then the greater lag of the softer shaft is likely mean it's more open at impact, thus more spin and slice. At least, for a 'swinger'. For a 'hitter' there might be no change, or possibly less spin. As a 'swinger', a softer shaft increases my fade.
Likewise, and again depending on timing of strike, greater loft could cause either less or more 'vertical' spin.
A fitting is the best way to resolve what an individual actually does with particular shafts and it can vary according to the attributes of each shaft. But playing around with shafts can be 'fun' and not necessarily particularly expensive - at least to prices of a new Driver!
Yes playing around with shafts is fun.
But I have a fitted ping shaft to fall back on if it goes wrong.
Nyckuk is on a budget and with postage and possibly waiting for people on eBay to buy pay etc.
It would make sense to get a fitted one to suit his budget first.
But as you have explained very well it’s a bit of a minefield if you don’t know what your doing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago, Cleveland (I think) produced a set of 4 numbers for loads of shafts according to stiffness in 4 sections of each shaft. That was as close as anyone came to standards in shafts.

That was Miyazaki their shafts were often fitted to Cleveland / Srixon.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fitting is great if you can afford it. The pro where I play charges £40 I have bought a lot of second hand and new clearance stock for less than that.

The first place to start without a fitting is to work out what you want e.g. high low mid launch bend point etc . A lot of this sort of information can be found on manufacturers websites and various forums.

One of the advantages I find from doing self assembly is that I can do a basic spine align on the shaft which helps with dispersion and is a good selling point when doing a resale if the shaft did not work for me.

RRidges

Visit site
That was Miyazaki their shafts were often fitted to Cleveland / Srixon.
Maybe - Miyazaki certainly had the numbers on their shafts.
My understanding Miyazaki and Cleveland are all part of the same huge conglomerate (Sumitoma Rubber Industries) that already had the Srixon brand.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe - Miyazaki certainly had the numbers on their shafts.
My understanding Miyazaki and Cleveland are all part of the same huge conglomerate (Sumitoma Rubber Industries) that already had the Srixon brand.

You are right Miyazaki is part of Srixon. The first part of Srixon being Sumitomo Rubber Industries I have never known what the last part stands for.