Driver question

seasidehacker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Really struggling to get passed the 200 yard mark. Any tips for extra distance off the tee. My ball usually goes pretty high and often....a slice

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Really struggling to get passed the 200 yard mark. Any tips for extra distance off the tee. My ball usually goes pretty high and often....a slice

The usual tip - see your local PGA Pro. I always think seeing the ball go from the tee is a good thing but obviously we haven't seen your swing

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Go and see your Professional for a lesson - he'll put the fundamentals in place which if they aren't currently right will be exacerbated with your driver - it'll be the best £30 you'll ever spend.
Or you could go ito American Golf and they'll persuade you to pay £400 for the latest driver which will solve all your problems.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A high flight, where it balloons up in the air is caused by a negative angle of attack. This is where you are hitting down on the ball.
Driver is the ONLY club where you have to hit the ball on the up, it's a totally different technique required than for any other club. So you need to attack the ball on the UP. So you need to tilt your spine away from the target at address, if you're right handed it means leaning to the right. Also allow your pelvis to tilt on the same angle, this is important. Then maintain this angle through the swing and you will lose that high flight.
However if you slice then you'll need to address your grip as this may be weak and also your swing as you will probably be swinging out to in, ie over the top.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

if lesson/s with a PGA Pro are possible then that's always the best ways forwards.

see & re-read post #11 in your 'stance width' thread - what's in there will help some - given your comment about only being able to hit the driver by falling back on the right leg.

real important that the hold on the handle is in the correct placement so the angles can be set properly way too many folks have the handle up in the palms too much so then there's no possibility of setting the shaft to 90º so the clubhead speed any motion that's put on the ball has already been limited by the compromised grip.

often times folks don't turn properly (instead they tilt but think they are turning) & the weight goes the wrong ways so that limits them to just trying to produce speed by mostly an arm swing alone, which will never produce optimum distance.
golf is a rotary game have to turn properly, the turn transferring the weight, all with a connected arm swing.

[video=youtube_share;lnopJFvTa3Q]http://youtu.be/lnopJFvTa3Q[/video]

Last edited: