Driver problem but with a strange solution...

Shanks a lot!

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok, I am relatively new to the game (around 8 months) and have only just started breaking 100 consistently.
One of the main problems at the moment has been driving, and getting the ball into play on the fairway. I have found that a lot of drives have been slices.
Today though, I have stumbled upon a solution for myself (not saying it will work for everyone) and wondered if anybody could explain to a layman why it works?
I set myself into a draw position, with the ball slightly back in my stance (maybe a balls worth) and my shoulders and feet aiming right, yet the ball didn't really draw, just went straight down the middle of the fairway! Did this for the last 8 holes with the same results. Made things so much easier, yet I am puzzled as to how it's not drawing but going straight?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful of 'why did that happen'!

Assuming that by 'draw position' you mean with the shoulders and feet aligned to the right (right handed), it would seem that both your swing path and face angle at impact are pointed down the middle. This sort of matches with 'normal' setup where your sub-conscious adjusts slightly from that same path/face angle to avoid a straight pull and turns it into a pull fade/slice - starting left first.

Swing path can be hard to change, but this Head-cover drill can help. Face angle will adjust pretty much automatically - as your timing and brain/hand co-ordination adjust to the changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdlTSLH3n10

Good Luck!

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been driving the ball fairly straight for a couple of months, now suddenly I have a huge slice. I have not changed anything that I am aware of, but went onto youtube and found a good video which mentioned trying to keep the left wrist flatter through the back swing. Worked for me, give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyRux9xuDtQ 4mins 35secs is what I am talking about.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thank you for that, will work on it in the nets at some point this week during my warm up:)

Sounds like you learned to hit a straight shot and now don't want to?

To hit a straight drive you need to stand slightly closed assuming you are hitting UP on the ball. Clubface and path both face slightly left of your stance at impact and you hit a 4-5° straight pull... that's how it's done... feel free to break that by adjusting your swingpath :mad:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, I am relatively new to the game (around 8 months) and have only just started breaking 100 consistently.
One of the main problems at the moment has been driving, and getting the ball into play on the fairway. I have found that a lot of drives have been slices.
Today though, I have stumbled upon a solution for myself (not saying it will work for everyone) and wondered if anybody could explain to a layman why it works?
I set myself into a draw position, with the ball slightly back in my stance (maybe a balls worth) and my shoulders and feet aiming right, yet the ball didn't really draw, just went straight down the middle of the fairway! Did this for the last 8 holes with the same results. Made things so much easier, yet I am puzzled as to how it's not drawing but going straight?

What you may now be doing is actually lining up straight to the target. You may have thought you lined up square to the target but it is amazing how many people new to the game think they are lined up when they are not.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you learned to hit a straight shot and now don't want to?

To hit a straight drive you need to stand slightly closed assuming you are hitting UP on the ball. Clubface and path both face slightly left of your stance at impact and you hit a 4-5° straight pull... that's how it's done... feel free to break that by adjusting your swingpath :mad:

If you are now hitting a pull, this will not be a great idea long term. It is ok for a specific shot, but if this becomes your stock shot, it isn't good.

Do you ever look at some one with a really weird swing, and wonder how they ever arrived at it? They start by doing something a little weird, and over time add more and more to it.

My view, is learn how to hit it properly. Standing closed, and pulling the ball back is not properly, and will lead to other problems, like getting stuck, and not releasing properly.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My view, is learn how to hit it properly. Standing closed, and pulling the ball back is not properly, and will lead to other problems, like getting stuck, and not releasing properly.

Ordinarily I would agree however D-plane shows that the ONLY way to hit driver straight is with a 4-5° pull if you're hitting up on it at 4-5°.

It's different with irons as they are hit on the way down, in which case d-plane would show that a straight shot is hit by standing slightly open... fades are more open.... and draws are square.