Driver launch

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was down the range today. They have toptracer on the bays

My driver is a 10.5 degree m2

I noticed my launch angle is between 19 and 24 degree so obviously goes very high

Ball speed was about 129

How can I launch it lower? It’s a problem I suffer with throughout the bag. Playing in wind is impossible

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I noticed my launch angle is between 19 and 24 degree so obviously goes very high

Ball speed was about 129

How can I launch it lower? It’s a problem I suffer with throughout the bag. Playing in wind is impossible
Fact its a theme through out the bag might suggest alot.

With driver there are a few things to consider, in fact this list could get very long.

Your 10.5 degree is only that loft at a particular point on the face. Due to roll on bulge effect on woods there is less loft at the bottom of the face and more at the top so hitting off the top your essentially adding a little loft and vica versa. Check your strike point with some tape/dry shampoo.

Coming into the ball a club that has been twisted open note the "twisted" can add loft to the club.

Your angle off attack into the ball might be massively on the up as your shallow point in the swing could me well before the ball.

Basically I would get to a good pro who can look at you with a trackman/GC Quad so you can measure the tangibles about the swing path and face at impact so your not guessing. If your shot is a high floaty left to righter (for a RH player) it will probably be a quick look session to point you in the right direction.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the same issue throughout the bag and of course it's me, not the clubs. I have used the technology (as I'm lazy) to reduce ball flight through shaft changes. There are some very low launching shafts out there. They are of course a band aid to the issue as the fault (if you see a high ball flight as a fault) is with your swing.

I enjoy my game in low wind days and perform very well, but once you get over that 15mph day i don't have the ability to control my ball flight like better players do

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LCW thanks for such an in-depth reply all very interesting and a lot to take in and speak to my pro about for sure

Jusme today at the range helped me .. their Top trace couldn’t pick up my 100 yards and in shots due to the height so I started playing other shots and playing around with the height. Learnt a bit and will be good to see if I can do it on the course

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Ball speed was about 129

Ball speed is pretty low for a driver. 86 mph club head speed, ish? I think you probably need a high launch.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
200 total and straight to a degree maybe 20 yards off centre eAch way

Not long, and I don't know what your handicap is, but 200 and straight more often than not isn't going to damage the scorecard too much. The AoA is definitely too high and I would get someone qualified to look at the swing ideally with a monitor and get their advice on how to improve the AoA without ruining the dispersion

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not long, and I don't know what your handicap is, but 200 and straight more often than not isn't going to damage the scorecard too much. The AoA is definitely too high and I would get someone qualified to look at the swing ideally with a monitor and get their advice on how to improve the AoA without ruining the dispersion
Society handicap 28, game Golf 26

Going the right way after many years working on it but never getting anywhere

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In which case a lesson would be functional to improve the AoA and probably tighten the overall driving technique. I'm sure a good pro won't reinvent the wheel especially if you aren't missing too wide already

Still bedding in what he’s told me over the last year

Since switching to him I’ve gained 50 yards with a driver and around 10 yards with each iron

Did some hybrid work with him last week in the snow which was interesting

D

Deleted member 21258

That is very high launch.

It will be down to dynamic loft being to high(ie. clubhead being ahead of your hands/flicking), AOA cant have that kind of launch angle.

I have a m2hl turned downed to 10.5ish, and have been practising hitting the ball above the centre line(high on clubface) and increasing my angle of attack to 2-4 degrees up, but even almost on skied drives, I only get launch of max 19 degrees normally 13-16. That's look mentally high flight for what I am use to(was 10-11 degrees launch). Cant imagine how high your flight is if you can get it to 24 degrees.

Did you pick up distance when compared to your hl turned down to 10.5?

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is very high launch.

It will be down to dynamic loft being to high(ie. clubhead being head of your hands/flicking), AOA cant have that kind of launch angle.

I have a m2hl turned downed to 10.5ish, and have been practising hitting the ball above the centre line(high on clubface) and increasing my angle of attack to 2-4 degrees up, but even almost on skied drives, I only get launch of max 19 degrees normally 13-16. That's look mentally high flight for what I am use to(was 10-11 degrees launch). Cant imagine how high your flight is if you can get it to 24 degrees.

Did you pick up distance when compared to your hl turned down to 10.5?

Straighter flight because the HL turned down opened the face too much for me , I have a problem with an open club face at times so having it open at address didn’t help me.

It looks very high. People always comment how high my drives look

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I am not a swing expert but for that launch angle and the fact that you are hitting all clubs very high suggests that you are flipping at impact.

A simple drill to help keep your hands ahead is to hit shots with an alignment stick either stuck in the shaft or just holding the shaft in your left hand. If you don’t keep your hands ahead, the stick will hit you in the side. There are a few videos on YouTube of the drill being used.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
many things playing into it answer would be to continue with the lessons for sure

one of the big problems with this high launch issue I often times see is around the grip hold & wrist conditions - that then plays into the swing motion dna

so with the grip hold the handle in the lead hand often times too high in the palm & a tad 'weak' so looking down not being able to see the logo on the glove so seeing possibly only one knuckle

so that plus swing sequence difficulties often has the lead wrist in a cupped condition at the top of the backswing which continues long into the downswing meaning the face angle is a ways open - which adds dynamic loft at strike

things I often times see then is a bit of a stand-up into impact which lifts the handle so shaft more vertical in angle & this with an outside to in swing direction through the ball - so kinda wiping an open face across the ball
after impact often means there's a chicken-wing situation goin on so there's no real release of the driver head through impact

that all ups the dynamic loft so that plus the strike location higher on the face gives the real high launch angle that nobody wants

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
many things playing into it answer would be to continue with the lessons for sure

one of the big problems with this high launch issue I often times see is around the grip hold & wrist conditions - that then plays into the swing motion dna

so with the grip hold the handle in the lead hand often times too high in the palm & a tad 'weak' so looking down not being able to see the logo on the glove so seeing possibly only one knuckle

so that plus swing sequence difficulties often has the lead wrist in a cupped condition at the top of the backswing which continues long into the downswing meaning the face angle is a ways open - which adds dynamic loft at strike

things I often times see then is a bit of a stand-up into impact which lifts the handle so shaft more vertical in angle & this with an outside to in swing direction through the ball - so kinda wiping an open face across the ball
after impact often means there's a chicken-wing situation goin on so there's no real release of the driver head through impact

that all ups the dynamic loft so that plus the strike location higher on the face gives the real high launch angle that nobody wants

coach sorry I didnt see this reply until now. thanks for such a in depth answer. The weak grip seems one of my major issues. we constantly work on a stronger grip for me and when I grip it stronger (not harder) I gain 15-20 yards with each club for sure

Homer on reflection to the AOA very high I think I might actually be hitting down on my driver sometimes because I hit the ground before a drive now and again.. I find if I do I actually hit a better shot (I put this down to me bouncing the driver off the floor and it means im hitting up instead of down at impact) however this obviously is killing the speed

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Take your normal address position with the sun behind you and note where the shadow of your head is.
Then make your backswing and stop at the top. Check your head shadow again.
Has the shadow moved back towards your back foot?