Driver Issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Last year was generally good with it, and my bad shot with the driver was a straighish starting slice(probably max 30 yards).However over winter did some overspeed training etc and increased by swing speed by about 10mph(now about 100ish).

I am a feel player and like to feel the clubhead/shots but now just cant feel the driver head anymore and do not have the foggiest were the club is, if that makes sense:rofl:

The driver is an old Taylormade 360Ti graphite regular shaft. But to be honest swinging my sons newer Cobra Fly driver with regular shaft, it isn't much better but is slighty(though I cannot feel the head still). I tend to have quite a 'slash' at the ball and always have and not a nice smooth rhythm(or so my son likes to tell me, I feel I am just swinging it!)

Also when I slow right down, make myself a cuppa in the middle of the swing and swing slower(about 75-80% effort), the driving is better and distance about the same and carry distance about 15-20 yards longer than last year:mad: BUT just feel I am leaving a lot out there and having 2 OOB everytime I play is getting to me! Thought it was a timing issue with the faster swing but not so sure after playing a bit of golf now.

I am all over the place with it when I try to hit it faster(about 90% effort). big Pull Hooks, straightish starting big slices to the right, low flights, high flights etc. And the strike isn't very good either.

Its driving me nuts.

What is strange is with my irons and fairway woods I don't have any major issues and about as accurate as I used to be last year(but 5-10 yards longer with shorter irons). These are regular graphite shafts to. Certainly no unusual new ball flights or strikes going on , when compared to last year

Any ideas, could it be down to shaft due to the faster swing speed(seems weird that I could get all those kind of shots tho) or is it best to load up a video?

(sorry about the essay:D:eek: )

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
swing video always useful if shot from dtl and face on views , with a very still/steady fone or camera - lens opposite the hands and around the same height as hands framed to see the clubhead in shot at top of the swing - fone or camera held so it's shooting 'landscape ratio' not upright and 'portrait'

meantime check over with the driver your grip pressure - could well be as you been speed training - that you have started to somewhat to 'strangle' the grip - pressure way too tight, forearms get locked hard and before you notice you steering it all into impact real hard to much ball focus and hit and forget to swing through where the ball is to a full balanced finish
- so there's no real 'swinging' the club. clubhead through the ball and with a real hard/tight grip pressure you lose the ability to feel the driver head - easier to do overall with a driver as it's way light compared to other clubs through the bag

so if grip pressure scale is 1 to 10 - 10 being 'death grip' assuming your RH golfer feel the grip pressure in the lead hand is around 4 and grip pressure in the trail hand is around 2

then flip the driver so you hold the shaft at the clubhead end and make a bunch of swings to feel the weight of the handle swing and swing to make the loudest whoosh just after where impact would be

then flip it back to normal with the above hands grip pressure (4 & 2) and 'swing' the clubhead to make the noise just post impact but make sure you still able to swing 'in balance' to a finish position you can hold for a slow count of 3

after you could give the stuff on this vid a go to see if it helps some

[video=youtube;9ikfheoLPjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ikfheoLPjs[/video]

D

Deleted member 21258

Thanks coach for the reply, greatly appreciated your time and input.

Will give it ago and will load up a couple of swing videos as soon as I can get some done.