Drill for keeping over the ball

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey folks

Pleased with my progress after 4 weeks but still looking to get more consistency into my ball striking.

I was watching a video my brother took of me yesterday and one big thing I noticed was the movement of my head off centre / not keeping the centre point of the rotation fixed. Small wonder I hit this one fat when you look at address v top of backswing position. Green line hasn’t moved in the second capture so shows just how far I’ve moved.

74130_BE2-996_E-47_CD-_BC1_C-_FDA9_F063_F696.png

2868_F3_B0-04_C2-4986-_A98_D-_CFFB53298137.png

Any little nuggets of wisdom or drills that will help address this?

Thanks.

PS - no comments about my snazzy shirt. I got enough of that on the course :D

#RealMenWearHotPink

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for that.

You can clearly see after impact where the divot starts. Oops

It looks to me as if you are swaying rather than turning on the backswing and on the downswing there is very little turn/drive back to your left side.

Untitleddt.jpg

Note the difference between your hips and right foot position and Rorys' above.

The sway back is not huge (I've seen a lot worse) so improvements could be made there but its the lack of drive that causing the duffs.

Try the drill below and hit the front ball without hitting the back ball.
That will help you get the divot after the ball, not before it.
Hope this helps

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&index=10&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW&t=0s[/video]

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Bob. Very helpful.

Yes I hit this one very fat (hardly surprising when you look at how far behind the ball my head has moved!) and was noticeably tense and stiff. First tee nerves I think! My rotation’s been quite a bit better since I started - ironically I had a brilliant session at the range before where everything I hit felt great.

Just goes to show that taking it to the course is another matter entirely!

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I have struggled with my head moving on backswing, laterally away from the target and also moving towards the ball.

I find that using one of those putting mirrors really helps when practising, just set it up so that you can see your head in the mirror when standing over the ball, and rehearse practice swings to really help with getting the feeling that you want, I even hit shots glancing at the mirror just to make sure I am making the move I want during the swing, although that's probably not recommended!

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Check out Alex Elliot Golf on YouTube. He posted a video literally 30 minutes ago talking through a good drill which I am using at the moment and has helped my ball striking no end.

Basically, when you take your stance, you place an alignment stick under your right foot running perpendicular to the ball - target line. As you swing, you need to feel as though you feel your weight on the inside of your right foot i.e. the left side of the alignment stick.

Check it out and give it a go and let me know what you think? You don't even really need an alignment stick. At home I practice backswings really feeling the weight on the inside of my right foot and not venturing to the outside.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tape a pencil to the brim of hat so that it is your eye line for the ball.

Not that I would necessarily recommend keeping your head that still.

Ps looking at those photos you also need to review your ball position the 5.33 and 6.50 photos make it look as if the ball is too far back in the stance.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. Re ball position yeah it does look a bit far back although it is a pitching wedge. Lucky it wasn’t any further forward or I would have hit it really fat!

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry for the poor quality but here is a video of my swing from about 5 minutes prior, on the range. At this point my contact was good and I was feeling positive, that soon changed on the first tee!!

https://youtu.be/A68j43Y8JHY

I can see the sway here for sure and the lack of movement in the lower body. Though it's definitely better than even a week or two ago so I know it's coming along slowly which is nice.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve seen this advocated before - what is the science behind this drill? I mean what is it that it corrects/helps impart?

I think it's meant to stop you moving your weight and therefore head too far to the right. So you get the feeling of where your body is meant to be with the ball there. Remove it and try to replicate that.

I have a similar issue and my pro got me to try this every once in a while to correct it. Seems to work for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey folks

Pleased with my progress after 4 weeks but still looking to get more consistency into my ball striking.

I was watching a video my brother took of me yesterday and one big thing I noticed was the movement of my head off centre / not keeping the centre point of the rotation fixed. Small wonder I hit this one fat when you look at address v top of backswing position. Green line hasn’t moved in the second capture so shows just how far I’ve moved.

74130_BE2-996_E-47_CD-_BC1_C-_FDA9_F063_F696.png

2868_F3_B0-04_C2-4986-_A98_D-_CFFB53298137.png

Any little nuggets of wisdom or drills that will help address this?

Thanks.

PS - no comments about my snazzy shirt. I got enough of that on the course :D

#RealMenWearHotPink
You look very flat footed and hips have hardly moved in relation to shoulders .
Unless you are very flexible this could cause you to sway a little.
Ball position looks ok for a wedge

I had this problem and my pro had me pulling a elastic band the exercise ones , trapped in the top of a door to make me engage my hips as it’s very hard to do if you don’t.