Down Memory Lane - September 2014 Edition

DCB

Visit site
As usual, I like to take my time and read through each edition of GM after it has dropped through the letterbox. I have worked through to JezzE's article about the centenary of a former home club.

The opening sentences hit me hard, " I didn't play golf as a child. It was still a rich kids sport back then, and my family didn't qualify. So while the chosen few were heading off to their golf clubs on Wednesday games afternoons from Skinners School in Tunbridge Wells, I was slogging it out on the weekly cross country run."

It made me think how fortunate I've been, having had the chance to play this great game from a very early age. Having been born and brought up in Edinburgh there were more than enough golf courses and clubs close at hand. Like many youngsters up here, I has a single trusty club to start with, a Slazenger junior 5 iron in my case. We all started by hitting a ball up and down the local playing field until we were big enough or old enough to go to the practise area at the local municipal course. In my case, it was Silverknowes golf course on the shores of the Firth of Forth. My first full round there as a young naive eleven year old was for a score of 129 and that included a major disaster on the 600yd 18th hole.

By the time I went to High School, The Royal High School out at Barnton, at 12 years of age, I was playing regularly. Meeting other boys opened further opportunities and games were played at far off courses like Murrayfield, Ravelston, a brilliant wee 9 holer, Turnhouse and Royal Burgess. We seemed to walk to all those courses, play with our mates and then walk home again, we must have been really keen. We also had the chance to take golf coaching at High School and in the summer term we went to Turnhouse and had group coaching on their vast practice area. During the school holidays we used to nip on to Silverknowes before the starter appeared in the early morning and play a full round. We went home for lunch and then returned and played again around 2pm, paying our 5p junior round ticket price this time. Ah, those were the days.

Youngsters in Scotland still get the opportunity to try this great game at an early age. The ClubGolf organisation taking it into primary schools and giving all kids in p5-6 a chance to try the game in a fun format. I can't help but think if we'd have been happy to play the game that way or to play it the way we did, out on the playing field and having the time of our lives in our own wee world, playing our own wee games until we could go and play on the 'big' course with the big boys.

Oh, one other thing Jezz, we still did those awful cross country runs...... nowadays that would be a PVG issue ;)

What got you into this great game, did you start young or did you start later in life ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

My situation was very like that of Jez. I won a scholarship as a day-boy to a local public school and amongst my fellow pupils there were, even in the early 60's, a number of junior golfers.

However, I don't think I had even heard of the game let alone had the opportunity to play it. As far as I was concerned there were only two sports worth either playing or watching; football and cricket.

My first introduction to golf was in the form of Pitch & Putt at Tudor Grange Park, Solihull aged around 16 and I have to admit the seed was then planted to germinate some 12 or so years later when I was not taking football quite so seriously.

I now realise how fortunate youngsters are today to have so many options available to them. Just need to prise them away from their iPads, X-boxes and Playstations.

D

Deleted member 18121

How random, I didn't realise Jezz was local to me...I live less than 3 miles from Skinners school.

My relationship with golf didn't start until I was 16... my middle brother used to play a bit and suggested I join him, so for approx. 2 years I played sporadically as I wasn't good enough to hit and 18 hole course and spent much time on the 9 holer learning my trade.

I then went off to university and basically for the next 12 years just played the odd social or society round - I didn't fall in love with the game.

Then 2 and a half years ago a brother of my mate asked if I fancied a game....pretty much since then I've played every single weekend in all kinds of weather. Since having my son 18 months ago I don't get a chance to get to the range but still play pretty much every weekend.

I reckon my story is a familiar one.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately, the idea of kids walking to a course and playing unattended for a number of hours on a weekend or before / after school is almost unthinkable. Not only due to safety concerns (be them real or not), but also the idea of someone in their young teens turning away from a whole other world available to them via PS4 / XBox etc makes the wonderful experience the OP describes a past delight.

There are many things we as golfers and the golfing bodies around the world can do to encourage the game, however some hurdles are just too high.

I got into golf as a young teenager, with my Dad's encouragement. Secretly, I think he was doing it to give him a playing partner in years to come, and after a holiday to Spain where golf was on the agenda every other day with a 6am tee time, I quit. I went through my teens, and rather randomly I picked up some clubs at the age of 19 / 20 and went to the range again. I think re-discovering the game for myself helped, rather than being pushed into by someone else.

I played a lot of golf at Wexham Park GC in Slough, on their 'easier' 9 hole course. In fact, as a youngster, that's the only course I played! We didn't have a huge amount of choice, especially for a young kid who was learning.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was lucky....

My family on my mother's side are all St Andrews born and bred and all of the men keen golfers (almost goes without saying).

I learnt to swing cut down clubs on the beach when I was about 4, putted on the himalayas (you'd think I'd be a decent putter after that start!!! :rofl:) etc etc.

Where I grew up I used to go on the wee pitch and putt course in Gullane to play (think it was, maybe still is, free). My old dear used to play a bit so we would go round there regularly.

Progressed to playing 9 holes at Musselburgh (also a 9 hole course in Portobello) now and again then a junior membership at Haddington GC and later The Glen.

Then gave up for about 15 years when football first, then beer and women took over :)

Got back into it properly around 3 years ago, although always used to have a couple of rounds a year with mates round local courses in East Lothian (Gullane 3, Winterfield etc etc)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Interest was kindled as a youngster by the local park's putting greens coupled with Tony Jacklin's Open win at Royal Lytham in 1969 being very much in the local news. Played pitch and putt too occasionally and eventually got to play a proper round on the local municipal when I was about 15. Wasn't a family thing so didn't really get any introduction at a club level at all though looking back now I really wish I'd had the opportunity. Ended up playing regularly (few times a year) until I joined the club attached to that same Muni aged about 30. Twenty odd years later I'm still there and still love it.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Picked up a club of my Dads and went for a smack with a mate over the field at the back of our houses in the early 2000's. I managed to put one of the two balls I had through somebody's reptile house in one of the gardens running along side the field. I was hooked after that! I got away with that, and still have to this day (I'm now 22!)

A few months later, got my first taste of a round at Harborne Church Farm GC in Birmingham. A short 9 hole municipal and went back there a few weeks ago for the first time in about 3 years. I absolutely loved it!! It was amazing to play those holes having grown and got better and stronger at golf compared to struggling as a ten year old!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We dabbled with pitch 'n' putt and putting greens on holidays as kids and I had a mate who's Dad played somewhere near Slough.
I went along with themo e day and just walked round d although I did get a couple of swings in
Even then there was no great desire to play until the late 80's. Fragger had started playing and I went along with him to Wrexham Park, mainly playing the 9 holer. But still only really dabbling.
It really began for me when I had to pa k up Cricket due to a dodgy knee. I needed something to occupy my spare time and Golf seemed something I could physically do - the knee meant that anything to do with joint impact was out.
That was 1993 and the rest as they say is hysterics..!
Really do wish I'd started a lot younger....

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First picked up a club 5 and a little bit years ago, and it went from there. I wish I had started earlier, as I reckon I could have a better/more natural swing, but alas, I didn't!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to walk the course at Beaconsfield with my dad and granddad when they used to play. This was back in the day when the pro had to be invited in if he was to go in the clubhouse. I was sat outside with a coke. Strangely, my dad went back there for some reason a few years ago and he was still recognised despite not having been there for 20 years. One day I would love to play there with my dad and my brother.

Sadly it was nearly 30 years later before I picked up a golf club as rugby took up all of my time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fairly typical Scots kid with mixed bag of old clubs in the house and plenty of relatives and friends who played. I pottered about for a few years doing stuff like hitting balls in the nearby playing fields, pitch and putt with my dad, uncle and cousins on holiday, crazy golf etc but not really playing. Then about 13 I started playing at my local municipal with a couple of friends.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Born and brought up on the edge of a championship golf course into a golfing family.
There is a photo of me with a wee golf club in my hands on the golf course whilst still wearing nappies .........and to save the fun ......no it wasn't last week.

teetime75

Medal Winner
Visit site
My experience of golf is different from most of the above.
I came late to the game. I hadn`t touched a golf club until I retired aged 66,
my previous yrs.were spent rock climbing,ice climbing in winter, mountain walking,
fell walking,until worn out body stopped me.
After I retired I got under H I Ds feet an she suggested I take up golf, so 50p 3 wood
from car boot, down to the range,50 balls, watch and copy the guy in the next stall
and off you go.
I never felt the club ht the ball but it rose in the air and carried all of 200 yds.
I WAS HOOKED.
The rest of the balls went 3 yds, 2yds, into the roof etc
I have not hit a ball as good since.LOL.
I really relished my previous activities
but do wish now I had taken up the game sooner.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was lucky. My dad played and was a member of Wimbledon Common. He booked me a week of lessons at Sandown Park Golf Centre (an hour every day for a week and we could stay on until the dustbin of balls was empty). Got the bug, worked hard and my dad got me junior membership at Wimbledon Common. Found I was reasonable and got to play for my games lesson at school which was nice. We played a few decent courses in comps and matches and I was able to get on Royal Wimbledon regularly for a better challenge. Carefree days!!!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dad was golf mad. He grew up on a golf course but stopped playing for many years due to war, family etc. When we were old enough (me about 9) he took me and my older brother to a local playing field with some Spalding blades with leather grips and we just knocked some balls around. I just loved it but my brother didn't. So just me and dad from then on. Brother in Law got interested and we played various courses until I became a junior member at a local club and that was it. Hooked for life. Happy days. He passed away over 20 years ago. Whenever I am on a golf course I think of my dad and I feel very grateful to him for all the time we spent together and for introducing me to this great game.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There were only a few member only clubs around in the a South East and no municipals back in the late 1960's so I did what we all did - football till I got a cruciate injury, then tennis as a work boss was into it put me on a coaching course he was organising as he was short of numbers, then at about 46 moved to golf

Next, when I can't swing a club is bowls, shuvhalfpenny and die, that the plan!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf never even crossed my mind until a work mate suggested it. After 7 holes with at least 5 full practice swings before each actual shot i finally hit a cracker over a tree . That was me hooked 33 years ago, frightening how quick time passes.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
At about the funny age of 15 ish where you're too old and cool for youth clubs etc but not old enough to hang with the big boys we decided to hang out at the pitch and putt. Something to do and fill our time during the holidays and summer evenings. Someone we knew worked the booth so as long as we paid once and didn't cause any bother we could play all day. Half set of clubs from local club for about £20 with a bag. After the first year or two never really played again until my mid twenties when I decided to dust the clubs off and get out of the house! Played on and off mainly through the summer at a pitch and putt and the odd low end pay & play. Then when I was thirty I started to play more regularly and bought myself a set of lessons and new clubs, as you do! Had a dip in playing for a couple of years as worked long hours and when I was free friends weren't and vice versa. Then after my second was born I went all in and joined a club on my own determined to play more and get better, 4 years I play at least once a week if not more, just not any better lol! I'm still hooked, get moody when I can't play. It's coming together slowly now after I've actually put some effort into improving! Also started to get my daughters into it, gives me an excuse to take them out on the course or the range!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Int... ter...esting

Lived in the midlands as kid and my dad played a bit and as a result my Ma got hooked (and still is). But I didn't take it up till I was about 30 when a mate asked if I fancied a game.

And although I lived in south east london (still do) my first ever game was at... Wexham Park.

I wonder if it knows the part it's played in the golfing development of forummers?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Owe my Dad the thanks for getting me a half set when i was 11. He'd played for a few years in the early 80's and got me a couple of lessons to understand the basics.

We'd spend more time working on shots ourselves however and learning about the swing from books and magazines. This is what you did at the time. My school was pretty poor for sports so didn't have any opportunity to do anything like golf - if you didn't play football to any kind of standard you were pretty much excluded. Many games sessions were spend on the sidelines thinking about golf and trying to edge closer to the girls hockey pitch.

Only played the odd weekend game until i was around 15 (about 15 hcp at this point), you'd be more likely to find me on the quieter of the two village football pitches practicing. Didn't have the media distractions kids have nowadays so more time went on golf practice, particularly putting on the living room carpet. Was able to spend some time in summer holidays playing with mates but this too was infrequent. Wasn't until my early 20's that i decided to take matters into my own hands (new found independance helped) and really got into the game. Hard to balance work, late nights and early morning starts but it proved possible and lost a dozen shots over a couple of years. A magnificently understanding wife has made all the difference though :D

I like to give my lad (aged 9) the chance to play and he enjoys getting out but the myriad of distractions for kids these days is hard to resist. His school gives pupils the chance to play some kind of kids golf which is great (along with quite a few other sports actually) so hopefully some will get the bug. He can recognise a large number of pro's now and loves making practice swings in the living room. Was genuinely overawed to see the likes of Rose, Rory and Tiger at The Open. Most kids it seems still want to be overpaid premiership stars however - doubt this is any different to years past though.

Reckon I'll always play to some degree or another and love to practice as much as play competitively. Don't know why, just do. Wish i could have played more as a youngster but lucky to have got where i have though and limited opportunities kept me keen.