Double sided tape --- DIY store ???

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I wouldn't chance that, you need something where the glue "melts" when white spirit is poured on it so that the grip can slide over it.

You could order on line, or try American Golf although not sure if they'd stock it as low margin.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You can use any double sided tape. Have used the stuff from b&q in the past. It's thin so put a layer of masking tape under it and it will be the same thickness as the strips you buy. There are no issues using this and white spirit will work fine, I've even used petrol before as I was in a hurry

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
^^^^^

This. Any double sided tape works. I always build up with masking tape also.

You can use any double sided tape. Have used the stuff from b&q in the past. It's thin so put a layer of masking tape under it and it will be the same thickness as the strips you buy. There are no issues using this and white spirit will work fine, I've even used petrol before as I was in a hurry

I have never worked out why masking tape as a layer would work. It has one side to which the glue on a tape should not stick.

I have tried cheap tape in the past and when the solvent was applied the tape slipped on the club so get good quality such as Duck, Gorilla or Sellotape. As already said it is thinner than standard grip tape so may need the layers building up.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have never worked out why masking tape as a layer would work. It has one side to which the glue on a tape should not stick.

I have tried cheap tape in the past and when the solvent was applied the tape slipped on the club so get good quality such as Duck, Gorilla or Sellotape. As already said it is thinner than standard grip tape so may need the layers building up.

Why would masking tape not work, it's an "industry standard" in all Pro shops to build up thickness. Two/threw layers of masking tape and then your grip tape. Grip tape as you know is double sided so why would.it not stick to masking tape?

I've used cheap double sided tape, "hockey" tape and also specific "golf" tape. Only difference is slight difference in thickness of the tape.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would masking tape not work, it's an "industry standard" in all Pro shops to build up thickness. Two/threw layers of masking tape and then your grip tape. Grip tape as you know is double sided so why would.it not stick to masking tape?

Masking tape has one side sticky and the other side non sticky, the sticky side does not stick to the non sticky side. So why should one side of double sided tape stick to the no sticky side of masking tape?

If you are using multiple layers of masking tape surely the sticky side of the second layer does not stick to the non sticky side of the first layer.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Masking tape has one side sticky and the other side non sticky, the sticky side does not stick to the non sticky side. So why should one side of double sided tape stick to the no sticky side of masking tape?

If you are using multiple layers of masking tape surely the sticky side of the second layer does not stick to the non sticky side of the first layer.

What are you gibbering about?

Masking tape is used as a build up layer. Or two or three whatever you want. You put this on first then use a layer of grip tape/double sided tape - whatever you like. You then use turps/solution/petrol as normal to install the grip. Its been done for years by pro shops and club builders, masking tape is cheaper than grip tape hence why its used as build up layers to get specific thickness.

Reactions: Doh

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Masking tape is not designed for nothing not to stick to it. Try it. Your simple science is wrong.

I'm out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Masking tape is a low tack tape designed to only lightly stick to walls ,furniture etc when painting.
Anything will stick to the non sticky side.
but if you leave it on to long the glue does harden up like normal tape and is used for layering club grips.
It’s used because it’s cheaper than double sided tape.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I used to build up my grips with 3 layers of tape, I used the double sided grip tape. I wouldnt think to use masking tape.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Have to laugh at some of the rubbish on here. one of my mates had a grip and no tape, so he covered the inside of the grip in hairspray. Worked a treat, he had that 3 wood a while ?