Don't blame the clubs!

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How many of us blame the clubs every weekend for poor shots?!! Thinking how better we'd be with some nice new fitted equipment

Well I was interested to see what happened yesterday on Challenge Tour. James Sugrue who is from a town called Mallow which is about 30 mins from me here in Cork, he's a former winner of British Amateur. He lost his clubs while traveling to tournament. This is really becoming a serious problem with airlines

Anyway he ended up borrowing a set of clubs and went out shot -7 to lead the tournament. He said in an interview he liked the driver and putter but irons weren't great

Just shows the talent these guys have, shoot scores like that with borrowed clubs

HeftyHacker

Visit site
How many of us blame the clubs every weekend for poor shots?!! Thinking how better we'd be with some nice new fitted equipment

Well I was interested to see what happened yesterday on Challenge Tour. James Sugrue who is from a town called Mallow which is about 30 mins from me here in Cork, he's a former winner of British Amateur. He lost his clubs while traveling to tournament. This is really becoming a serious problem with airlines

Anyway he ended up borrowing a set of clubs and went out shot -7 to lead the tournament. He said in an interview he liked the driver and putter but irons weren't great

Just shows the talent these guys have, shoot scores like that with borrowed clubs

This guy shooting under par through 9 with a half-set of £70 Dunlops impressed me.

Said he reckons he could have saved a few shots if he'd just had a high lofted wedge than PW as well.

I'm fully aware that its certainly not my equipment holding me back ?.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This guy shooting under par through 9 with a half-set of £70 Dunlops impressed me.

Said he reckons he could have saved a few shots if he'd just had a high lofted wedge than PW as well.

I'm fully aware that its certainly not my equipment holding me back ?.

Nothing really wrong with the Dunlops except for the very cheap shaft which tends to snap quite easily judging by the number I have seen in the waste bins where I play.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's talent. I think it's that equipment in general, and this case probably highlights, 'fitting' even more so, make no practical difference. There is a whole industry depending on you not knowing that, and employing all the marketing techniques in the book to perpetuate an illusion, and the truth struggles to break through and be heard above the noise.

D

Deleted member 1147

How similar were the borrowed clubs to his own?
Some brand, model etc ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the golf manufacturers greatest weapon, they have to convince you that they are sellig you a better game. Fitting is just another string to this bow. Yes, I am sure that it can give some improvement but the main benefit of it is that the manufacturers have now sold you on the fact that any old set of second hand clubs are not good enough, you have to buy new and bespoke oh and they have also given themselves a one on on opportunity to upsell.

You may have guessed that I am a bit of a cynic. Yes, I used to love buying new clubs but I was honest enough with myself that I just liked having new clubs in the bag every now and again, I never convinced myseld that I was buying a significantly better game.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Some brand, model etc ?

I’d suspect they were very similar.

He’s not been given a set of rentals from the local pitch and putt has he?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Above a certain level of ability, of course they are good enough to use any old bats. But with his own clubs that he's used to he still may have scored 8 or 9 under instead of 7.

As amateur golfers we obviously need more help. Not a lot of difference between one new driver or another brand's new driver. But improvements over the years have clearly made the game easier. A mate of mine came on a golf trip with his, handicap would be around 36 ish if he had one I think. His clubs are all 20 years old near enough as he doesn't play much. He's a big feller and can hit a 4 iron nearly up with my driver. But his driver was an old Callaway Big Bertha, the head is tiny, he had very little chance of finding the middle of the face. He had one go with my mate's G425 and the difference was night and day! You can't say there's no difference at all between clubs. It's just about finding the ones you like I guess.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d suspect they were very similar.

He’s not been given a set of rentals from the local pitch and putt has he?
Therefore he isn't using just any old blades and scoring well. But will be using those he's been CF'd for.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some brand, model etc ?
I don't know, it would be interesting to know that but it wasn't mentioned
He borrowed from mikko ilonen. I'm not sure but don't think the tour trucks are at challenge tour events so probably not huge options in terms of getting new clubs from a manufacturer

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's definitely the clubs

I adjusted my driver from 12 degrees to 9.5 before going to the range today, it didn't feel or even sound like my club, could barely hit a straight one :eek:

Needless to say its set back at 12 degrees for tomorrows trip to the range

Brads

Visit site
I was at the range playing with settings tonight. It absolutely made a difference.
What was most telling though was after 45 minutes hitting my new TSi2 I had a blast with the grandsons old burner that cost me £75
Frigging striped it , like a frozen rope right to the far reaches.
I was devastated.