Does Jordan Spieth play in the 2021 Ryder Cup?

Does Jordan Spieth play in the 2021 Ryder Cup?

• Yes

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
There's nothing like getting ahead of ourselves (he's now 25-1 for the Masters) so do you think the one-time boy wonder will be at Whistling Straits?

Given his matchplay pedigree/relationship with Thomas and previous at Whistling Straits I would say he's an absolute banker (unless his form falls off a cliff which it didn't as much as some think anyway)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I was Stricker I would not. He is still too erratic in his play, he has major weaknesses still. The course is going to be bomb and gouge and he can't hit driver for love nor money.

As a European I would be very happy for him to be in the team.

D

Deleted member 15344

If he carries on his current form then yes he will and can see Stricker picking him if he doesn’t qualify

He has formed some very good partnerships at the time with both Thomas and Reed

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep, partnership with JT is strong enough that he only needs to show reasonable form to be within the team I expect, particularly with the US having extra picks. Plus he can be rested for at least one of the foursomes as few players play five matches which sorts some of the off the tee issues. He's still making enough birdies to contribute in fourball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
PGA Tour Stats Strokes gained:

Off the tee:
2017 - 44th.....2019 (last full season) - 176th

Approach the green:
2017 - 2nd.....2019 - 145th

Around the green:
2017 - 8th.....2019 - 35th

Putting:
2017 - 48th.....2019 - 2nd

Tee to green:
2017 - 2nd....2019 - 157th

Total:
2017 - 2nd.....2019 - 59th.

He completely fell off a cliff.

He came 2nd at a tournament at Whistling Straits 6 years ago.

He hasn't got a clue (by world class player standards) where many of his shots are going, he's been an also-ran for a few years, he's had a couple of high finishes lately in tournaments where his wild driving wasn't penalised.

Ryder Cup contention??? ?
by those figures i would say definitely:LOL:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Currently 28 americans ahead of him on the owgr (including both Woods and Mickleson).

There are currently 13 americans in the top 20. Speith is currently 62...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Mickelson is 89th and dropping like a stone.
If Spieth keeps the form going there's no reason he can't qualify or make it difficult to not pick him.
Since he last won he's only had 19 top 10s and 7 top 3 finishes and only earned $9.5million....
A lot of people would take that as a slump...

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Mickelson is 89th and dropping like a stone.
If Spieth keeps the form going there's no reason he can't qualify or make it difficult to not pick him.
Since he last won he's only had 19 top 10s and 7 top 3 finishes and only earned $9.5million....
A lot of people would take that as a slump...
Indeed! My eyes saw "Will Zalatoris" my brain read "Phil Mickleson". Either way Speith has alot of good players to get past...

D

Deleted member 21445

Only in the 4 balls if they do ;)

Still has a way to go but in current trajectory he may not need a captains pick.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think a more interesting question would be; Will the USPGA change their selection criteria to allow the Captain to drop an automatic qualifier in the interests of team harmony?
(Not mentioning any names...)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
PGA Tour Stats Strokes gained:

Off the tee:
2017 - 44th.....2019 (last full season) - 176th

Approach the green:
2017 - 2nd.....2019 - 145th

Around the green:
2017 - 8th.....2019 - 35th

Putting:
2017 - 48th.....2019 - 2nd

Tee to green:
2017 - 2nd....2019 - 157th

Total:
2017 - 2nd.....2019 - 59th.

He completely fell off a cliff.

He came 2nd at a tournament at Whistling Straits 6 years ago.

He hasn't got a clue (by world class player standards) where many of his shots are going, he's been an also-ran for a few years, he's had a couple of high finishes lately in tournaments where his wild driving wasn't penalised.

Ryder Cup contention??? ?

He could easily have won the Masters and Open in 2018 and had four top 10s the following year, 3rd in the PGA etc, up there at Portrush for a bit. The way people talk about him he was in the middle of a Baker-Finch

D

Deleted member 1418

The US captains have previous in picking players on reputation and lacking form.

So really hope Stricker picks Spieth....and Fowler....and Mickelson!!! ?

Going to be interesting to see how Harrington approaches his picks as well. Some big name European stalwarts should not come anywhere close to the team!

D

Deleted member 15344

Is there not any chance that he has suffered the same dip in form that has befitted many other top players in the past and appears to be gaining that form back now

Two very encouraging performances and up twenty places on the World Rankings - one more good performance puts him back into the Top 50

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The stats would back that up.

The last 2 courses haven't punished his errant driving, tighter courses will give him a tougher test.

I've got to admit I don't know Whistling Straits, thought it was a slightly more "European" venue but presumed it will still be set up for home advantage to benefit distance and slightly more open. May be a bit of a cliche comment but I think in general that still fits as an advantage although all players clearly very good no matter what the course.