Dodds goes at SGU / Fee increase abandoned

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Was less than impressed when I got an email saying the proposed SGU fees were doubling, AND would be back dated to April.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmm maybe im less knowledgable but i was quite happy to pay a few extra quid. The extra money in comparison to annual subs was miniscule and if it could have been used sensibly to grow the game and help youth development i was all for it.

What were you all so against?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm maybe im less knowledgable but i was quite happy to pay a few extra quid. The extra money in comparison to annual subs was miniscule and if it could have been used sensibly to grow the game and help youth development i was all for it.

Same here, but mainly because it included liability insurance for every club member, plus installing a BRS booking system.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

What if you had multiple memberships then it wasn't just a few quid

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that is one aspect of sgu i dont agree with anyway but what % of golfers in this country have multiple memberships (that require sgu additional fees)?

With the funding being cut and the continual slide of membership in this country i do fear where it ends up. We could do with some progressive thinking which tho may be in vain at least blane dodds was trying to shake things up.

I reckon he left not only because the tennis scotland opportunity but because he was fighting a losing battle

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well that is one aspect of sgu i dont agree with anyway but what % of golfers in this country have multiple memberships (that require sgu additional fees)?

With the funding being cut and the continual slide of membership in this country i do fear where it ends up. We could do with some progressive thinking which tho may be in vain at least blane dodds was trying to shake things up.

I reckon he left not only because the tennis scotland opportunity but because he was fighting a losing battle

I don't think there was much thought behind it TBH and it was more of a case of trying his hand and pushing through his plans, which now seem to have backfired on him. There was also no real answers as to what all the extra money was going to be spent on as the track record of the old SGU was rather poor with putting money back into the game.

I for one have np problem paying a bit more but I currently have 5 membership so I would need to pay the affiliation fee for all 5 clubs under his plans and why should I pay any more than just the one ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the words of Eric the Great.

'Playing all the right keys but not necessarily in the right order'.

A bit like the Tory Party with its introduction of the Poll Tax and the new benefits system.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Same here, but mainly because it included liability insurance for every club member, plus installing a BRS booking system.

We have a guests only club, no visitors. The last time I queued to get on the tee was in the 80s, what would we have needed the compulsory BRS system for?

Our club basically breaks even every year, our adult fees range from £110-£190, our seniors about 30% less. Not only was this being backdated and therefore would have entailed a loss on the year that wasn't budgeted for, but the rise was OVER 10% of annual fees for many of our members.

A lot of clubs in the north-east are struggling badly right now, ANY rise is utterly ridiculous.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a guests only club, no visitors. The last time I queued to get on the tee was in the 80s, what would we have needed the compulsory BRS system for?

Our club basically breaks even every year, our adult fees range from £110-£190, our seniors about 30% less. Not only was this being backdated and therefore would have entailed a loss on the year that wasn't budgeted for, but the rise was OVER 10% of annual fees for many of our members.

Where do you play ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The SGU fee wasn't much even with two clubs but double was a joke. Can't help thinking a bit of the Money we pay goes on Jollies for the few

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The SGU fee wasn't much even with two clubs but double was a joke. Can't help thinking a bit of the Money we pay goes on Jollies for the few

....and overstaffed underperforming development team officers.
They seem to be separating the squads from club/county which I think is poor.
Wrapping youngsters in cotton wool when they should be gaining knowledge and experience at the coal face.

Teams of experienced ex internationalists should be involved in playing matches with junior development squads.
The feeling I get is that youngsters do not seem to realise that they are not 'the one and only', many have been before.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A lot of clubs in the north-east are struggling badly right now, ANY rise is utterly ridiculous.

I agree absolutely with this statement- not only in north east- most clubs in the country are seeing a decline and if it continues golf clubs will end up like the bowls clubs up and down the country- shutting!!!

BUT don't try and tell me it's all about cost and that this £12.75 extra is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back- your subs are comparatively cheap compared to most golf courses. You can't tell me £134 compared to the £121.25 that your standard members currently pay will have a great effect on membership.

I think the attitude that "I'm alright jack" on a personal level is the wrong thought process if we want the game to progress and develop in this country something needs to be done.

In Scotland our Union fees are tiny- like it says in flyer- not only to other golfing unions but other sports too. In Scotland our subs are comparatively cheap to even England just down the road. Our Government funding has been cut. This is a game Scottish people should cherish and be proud of and I despair that (on the basis of this thread) I seem to be in the minority that the SGU are trying to be progressive in their thinking.

Just because a BRS system might not suit you, or the subs increase means it's a 10% increase for you, or that your club doesn't benefit directly from youth development.... or any of the above benefit me or my club... doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. As it's not all about me, or you! It's about the game we love!

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree absolutely with this statement- not only in north east- most clubs in the country are seeing a decline and if it continues golf clubs will end up like the bowls clubs up and down the country- shutting!!!

BUT don't try and tell me it's all about cost and that this £12.75 extra is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back- your subs are comparatively cheap compared to most golf courses. You can't tell me £134 compared to the £121.25 that your standard members currently pay will have a great effect on membership.

I think the attitude that "I'm alright jack" on a personal level is the wrong thought process if we want the game to progress and develop in this country something needs to be done.

In Scotland our Union fees are tiny- like it says in flyer- not only to other golfing unions but other sports too. In Scotland our subs are comparatively cheap to even England just down the road. Our Government funding has been cut. This is a game Scottish people should cherish and be proud of and I despair that (on the basis of this thread) I seem to be in the minority that the SGU are trying to be progressive in their thinking.

Just because a BRS system might not suit you, or the subs increase means it's a 10% increase for you, or that your club doesn't benefit directly from youth development.... or any of the above benefit me or my club... doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. As it's not all about me, or you! It's about the game we love!
Couldn't agree less.

Since the oil crash memberships here have plummeted, and subs increased a lot at surrounding clubs, two of which are now on very shaky ground according to whispers.

It also doesn't matter that "It's cheap compared to England", the cost of what we pay for golf, is what we expect the cost of golf to be. Our subs went up £10 this year, the first time in 4 years, we lost 25 members as a result.

If clubs wanted BRS, they generally already have it, if they don't it's because they don't need it. Forcing clubs with very small turnovers to install meanlingless software (we don't have a website either, we'd need that too and associated hosting costs) is absolutely nonsensical.