Do volunteers doing jobs on course need insurance?

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Sort of jobs would be general labouring tasks, eg weeding, edging, banking sand in bunkers, cutting back brash, low lying branches, litter picking, divot filling and clearing, repairing animal damage etc. We are looking at non comp days for members and probably off peak times. Do any posters know of members undertaking such tasks and what if any would be the insurance position for potential accidents and injury. Too many doomsday scenarios to consider, but if you have volunteers do they have insurance cover?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sort of jobs would be general labouring tasks, eg weeding, edging, banking sand in bunkers, cutting back brash, low lying branches, litter picking, divot filling and clearing, repairing animal damage etc. We are looking at non comp days for members and probably off peak times. Do any posters know of members undertaking such tasks and what if any would be the insurance position for potential accidents and injury. Too many doomsday scenarios to consider, but if you have volunteers do they have insurance cover?
Our insurance covers all such volunteers. As it happens I am one but I don't know what it costs. But I would think most clubs' accident insurance covers all people on the club premises with the permission of the club.
https://www.club-insure.co.uk/insurance-for-volunteers-what-you-need-to-know/

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our manager has banned members from doing certain jobs on health and safety grounds.

I put forward a point to our chairman " As a private members club we are all part owners of the club, what is there to stop an owner working on their own property?"

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Our manager has banned members from doing certain jobs on health and safety grounds.

I put forward a point to our chairman " As a private members club we are all part owners of the club, what is there to stop an owner working on their own property?"
Nothing, but if the club was found to be negligent in any way then insurance wouldn't cover them and the club could land themselves in court and with a hefty fine.

D

Deleted member 23270

What is your role at your club? You seem to be very involved in everything.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is your role at your club? You seem to be very involved in everything.

I have spent (so far) 11 years on sub committees and secondment including 3 years on the main Captain's committee. My main roles have been to do the 'advertising/education within the club of the two big rules changes and the WHS. I have been responsible for maintaining the clubs handbook which covers all aspects of course matters, competitions etc including the local rules. Currently I am on the Handicaps and Competitions sub committee which I was chairman of up until this year.

I play a lot of rounds, sit in the clubhouse with the chairman and previous members of the board of directors.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Nothing. But just because you are an "owner" it doesn't stop H&S regulations still applying.

SilvainStiles

Visit site
I believe they should already have a general insurance contract. Still, I am not 100% confident in my answer. You better seek help from a person working in the insurance industry. They possess the necessary knowledge about insurance to give you a more vast answer. Also, you can speak with people working in the financial industry. For instance, several times, I have used the help of employees from thefinitygroup.com.Give them a call or send them an email. I am sure the guys will be glad to help you.

Last edited: