Distance when mega soft ground conditions?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only played the one round so far this year, but one thing that was a theme throughout was coming up short of the green with appraoch shots.

This despite clubbing up to allow for the colder conditions and zero roll-out.

I've been working on a more exagerrated downward strike into the ball as opposed to clipping it away. Is this to be expected when it's super soft underfoot? I'm guessing the compression on the ball between clubhead and ground must be massively less. :D

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the downward strike becomes too exaggerated you may well end up playing a punch shot rather than a full shot which will cost you distance.

What's the ball flight?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm guessing the compression on the ball between clubhead and ground must be massively less. :D

There is no such thing as compression between ball and ground, it's just a phrase that is commonly used when hitting a descending blow or 'trapped' shot. The ball is infact already long-gone before the club would have a chance to compress it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ball compresses on impact with the club not the ground.

Just a thought, are you are attacking the ball too steeply taking too much divot? Or taking divot before ball?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
one of the subjects of discussion at yesterdays lesson. pros answer was 'use less loft and play it as a chip and run. you have to nip it off the top'.

ok you may not get much run but you will get some, try it - it's working for me