Disappointed with first tuition

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m really disappointed with my first tuition. Maybe not so much the tuition itself, but the experience of the day.

It it was a groupon voucher that looked amazing value. For £35 a friend and I were due to get 2 hours morning tuition, a 45 minute break, followed by 2.5 hours tuition on a 9-hole golf course. This was at Bishopbriggs driving range near Glasgow. That’s a great deal right. It’s a pity it didn’t live up to expectation.

When we arrived there was another two chaps there. No issues, it was in the small print. It was also in the small print that the afternoon would be an indoor simulator if the weather was bad. That’s fair enough too. But today the weather turned out better than expected. It stayed dry and the sun even popped out now and again. But alas the guy made some excuse and said it was off. Passing other courses nearby on the way up and back home there was plenty of people out playing so his excuse was paltry and probably lazy.

Nevertheless, the tuition would up for it. In theory. In practice the morning session was chipping and mid irons with tuition divided between the four of us. I didn’t mind that so much as I got to hit balls on the range and got a little feedback. Though I didn’t realise only the first 50 balls were included. Didn’t see that in the small print. Break time was 5 minutes, not 45 as stated. But what’s worse is there was nowhere to get food. I tore very easily and quite profoundly due to health, and was looking forward to a break and food to give me some energy. Only thing I could find was a kitkat chunky. There was no shops nearby either.

On to the second half of the day. The simulator. This was the worst part and the reason for the post. I didn’t mind the other things but this half of the day was utterly pointless. There was no tuition. ZERO. The instructor set us up to play a virtual course and then put himself to play alongside each one of us. So whilst I had one shot he had the next. And he did this with all four of us. At several points we watched him play 5 or 6 shots in row. Because there was 4 of us and him, I had to wait for 7 shots before I got another go. None of us got a single piece of tuition during this. We just got to watch other people play golf as we stood tired and hungry for 2 hours. I couldn’t wait until it was over.

Anyone else had crappy experiences with golf tuition or groupon vouchers?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Was that £35 for you and your friend or £35 each?

Doesn't matter which!

Poor 'tuition' either way! The cost is actually pretty much irrelevant!

I'd also expect there to be some sort of food made available - even if slightly pricey - or advice to bring food if no facility at the venue.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was that £35 for you and your friend or £35 each?

For both of us.

Doesn't matter which!

Poor 'tuition' either way! The cost is actually pretty much irrelevant!

I'd also expect there to be some sort of food made available - even if slightly pricey - or advice to bring food if no facility at the venue.

Would have been happy to bring a packed lunch!

DCB

Visit site
Sorry, but, when the word Groupon is used there is only one winner and that is groupon themselves. Last time I looked it was £30 for a 45 min lesson at my club. £35 for two of you for four and a half hours just doesn't add up. The driving range will be lucky to have seen £15 off that £35.

Best to try and arrange your own lesson with a pro who has been recommended by others.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The daft thing is, had the pro been enthusiastic and good the OP may book a lesson separately and directly with him. Following this let down I doubt he'd touch him with a barge pole. Why offer a groupon deal if you act like that, there is certainly no money in them?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That price did seem a little too good to be true, but that seems poor communication from the club.

Echoing what others have said, I had a Groupon lesson and the pro suitably impressed me that I will book more lessons in the Summer - so not all bad news stories.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another who expected the worse as soon as Groupon was mentioned. If a deal seems to good to be real then in my experience it usually is. A shame as a good experience with the pro may have got the OP booking more lessons. Seems like he wasn't asked either.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I always thought of groupon as a good way for business' to advertise theirselves and get some repeat custom, not just a bad market place with crappy services and a poor reputation.
That said I have only used groupon a couple of times in the past so not too familiar with it.

I think the OP has every right to be dissapointed though, regardless of cost, he didnt get what was advertised and sold to him.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Groupon had gone massively downhill

My sister got me a groupon photo shoot for Xmas.. basically used to get us through the door then spend £300 on the photos

Didn’t bother cashing that one in

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another who expected the worse as soon as Groupon was mentioned. If a deal seems to good to be real then in my experience it usually is. A shame as a good experience with the pro may have got the OP booking more lessons. Seems like he wasn't asked either.

ive used groupon many times over the years for food and hotel stays. Normally it’s decent as you know not to expect the best. The deal for the golf was great but it just wasn’t executed well at all. The instructor did ask if we wanted lessons in the future but you’re absolutely correct, I wouldn’t go back because of the experience.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big retail shopping park less than 2 minutes away just past Low Moss prison with options for food.

Did you raise the issues mentioned here with the guys at the range?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't use Groupon for anything much less a golf lesson. Any pro who has to fill his diary for next to nothing through Groupon should be avoided imo.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I never ever do Groupon. Bound to be a disappointment. I had to tell er indoors to stop using it all the time as she was the type to get sucked in. We have been for a rubbish breakfast and worse meals out when they are desperate to drum up business.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m really disappointed with my first tuition. Maybe not so much the tuition itself, but the experience of the day.

It it was a groupon voucher that looked amazing value. For £35 a friend and I were due to get 2 hours morning tuition, a 45 minute break, followed by 2.5 hours tuition on a 9-hole golf course. This was at Bishopbriggs driving range near Glasgow. That’s a great deal right. It’s a pity it didn’t live up to expectation.
Well there was your first mistake. I never use Groupon for anything. Always seems to be small print that ruins the deal, or just a poor end experience generally.

D

Deleted member 21258

Certainly not right that you did not end up what you had paid for, for sure.

I think I would try to take the positive and at £35.00 for both you and a friend, what you ended up with seems to be 'good value' (certainly from my view).

Think I would have been tempted in the afternoon to have asked to just play on our own, after a few hits, after realising what was happening.

I learn from experiences and if unhappy, I would just not go back, life is to short and sometimes its easier to walk on.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ive used groupon many times over the years for food and hotel stays. Normally it’s decent as you know not to expect the best. The deal for the golf was great but it just wasn’t executed well at all. The instructor did ask if we wanted lessons in the future but you’re absolutely correct, I wouldn’t go back because of the experience.

inc0gnito what was the guys name? When I first picked up a club a few years ago I got the same deal for the same driving range, with on course lesson too and the guy to be frank was an idiot.... all he wanted to do was show us how far he could hit it, smoked like a chimney and also impress us with him driving the ball far while on his knees. Was my worst ever lesson and I have tried a lot of coaches (now settled thankfully)

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
inc0gnito what was the guys name? When I first picked up a club a few years ago I got the same deal for the same driving range, with on course lesson too and the guy to be frank was an idiot.... all he wanted to do was show us how far he could hit it, smoked like a chimney and also impress us with him driving the ball far while on his knees. Was my worst ever lesson and I have tried a lot of coaches (now settled thankfully)

lol. Doesn’t sound like the guy. His name was Martin.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Certainly not right that you did not end up what you had paid for, for sure.

I think I would try to take the positive and at £35.00 for both you and a friend, what you ended up with seems to be 'good value' (certainly from my view).

Think I would have been tempted in the afternoon to have asked to just play on our own, after a few hits, after realising what was happening.

I learn from experiences and if unhappy, I would just not go back, life is to short and sometimes its easier to walk on.

i wanted to say to him that I was paying for tuition and came there to learn instead of watch him play golf. But I was far too tired and the longer I left it the harder it became to say anything. But yeah I would much rather of been outside practicing on the range.