Difficulties on bone dry fairways

Ironman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Guys
Hoping for some advice here please.
I don't use fairway woods (hence the handle!) but am usually happy with my irons (despite being a 24 handicapper).
The past few weeks have been a nightmare as I'm used to taking a (small) divot on fairways. Because of the hardness of the ground (despite great work by the groundstaff) my irons "bounce" off the turf and catch the ball with the leading edge... with disasterous results.
Apart from giving the game up till the autumn can anyone please suggest a possible solution....I can't be the only one suffering this plight surely? !!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The divot is supposed to be taken after contact with the ball.
If you hit the ground before the ball that's hitting it 'fat' and you'll have less control over distance than you should.

Have a search on Youtube for "Swingvision Iron" to see what I mean.

Ironman

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I can't fault the logic of your reply...however, I don't usually suffer from "fat" shots so it's a worry that I'm now doing that just because the ground is hard.
Should I make more efforts to use fairway woods...would these suit the conditions better?

Thanks

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That would only be any use to you if you still had a long way to go. What are you going to do if you only have 120yds to the green?

Best solution : Learn/practice hitting down on the ball and taking the divot after.

Next Best : 'Sweep' the ball away with your irons like you would with a fairway wood.

Only my opinion mind. There are plenty here with more knowledge than me.