Difference Between Good & Bad (video)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been trying to eradicate the slice from my driving which has been bad lately. Had a decent range session today - I'm focussing on more of an in-to-out path which is particularly crucial in the Eureka set-up I've been using (which is why I have my feet open to the target line).

I got five consecutive shots on video. You can't really see the ball flight, but the first two were pretty decent (small fade), the third one was the slice I'm trying to get rid of. Fourth one was a bit of a duck hook (maybe a reaction to slicing one). The fifth and final one was the best of the lot, went straight and a good distance.

My issue is I don't know what I've done differently because they all felt the same. Is there something I'm missing? Or is it just a case of club face control perhaps? Third one I opened it, fourth one I closed it?

Thanks all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From a Eureka perspecitive the feet aren't open enough setting the hips in a cleared position and the takeaway isn't flat enough (think the outside one of the 3 canes in the Eureka set up) so it looks a bit up and down. The last one looks like you got the hands moving straight down the middle cane from Eureka and so you cleared and got through it which is why it was the best of the lot

crdb

Visit site
I've been trying to eradicate the slice from my driving which has been bad lately. Had a decent range session today - I'm focussing on more of an in-to-out path which is particularly crucial in the Eureka set-up I've been using (which is why I have my feet open to the target line).

I got five consecutive shots on video. You can't really see the ball flight, but the first two were pretty decent (small fade), the third one was the slice I'm trying to get rid of. Fourth one was a bit of a duck hook (maybe a reaction to slicing one). The fifth and final one was the best of the lot, went straight and a good distance.

My issue is I don't know what I've done differently because they all felt the same. Is there something I'm missing? Or is it just a case of club face control perhaps? Third one I opened it, fourth one I closed it?

Thanks all.
One thing i've been working on because i've had the same issue as you is trying to keep my left wrist strong & not letting the clubhead get ahead, as long as I have the correct rotation through then physics 'should' bring the clubface back to square. I think of the towel under the arm drill, keep the left tucked in until after the strike.

'For me' if the clubhead gets ahead of me, then its either a slice or hook:

• Hook, clubhead ahead, but not transferred weight across

• Slice, clubhead ahead & i've shifted too far onto my left

• Straight, clubhead in time (one solid line from my shoulder to clubhead)

I wouldn't take this as gospel but it's sorted my misses out & helped me to understand why i'm doing the bad shots

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mate you do the same foot shuffle as me 🤣 Feet alignment look spot on then just before you swing you pull your left foot back so opening up your stance promoting an out to in swing path. Try keeping you left foot still once you’ve taken your stance but flare your left foot out rather than pulling it back towards you. May do naff all but hey ho 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mate you do the same foot shuffle as me 🤣 Feet alignment look spot on then just before you swing you pull your left foot back so opening up your stance promoting an out to in swing path. Try keeping you left foot still once you’ve taken your stance but flare your left foot out rather than pulling it back towards you. May do naff all but hey ho 🤣
That's part of the Eureka set-up that we were talking about. You set your feet open to the target, and the swing path should be in to out (or I try to anyway), and when I get it all correct the outcome is that I turn well and hit it straight. When I don't get it right I swing across it and slice it miles right, haha. The set-up works really well for my irons but it's harder to get it right with driver.

The reason I only move the left foot out at the last second is to make sure my shoulders and club path are straight to the target. If I set the feet first I'd be worried I just aim everything left.

As Homer said I don't think I have them quite as open as Eureka is meant to be, but just opening them a tad feels like I can turn through the shot better. It helps against my lazy arms-only weak fade swing that I get sometimes.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's part of the Eureka set-up that we were talking about. You set your feet open to the target, and the swing path should be in to out (or I try to anyway), and when I get it all correct the outcome is that I turn well and hit it straight. When I don't get it right I swing across it and slice it miles right, haha. The set-up works really well for my irons but it's harder to get it right with driver.

The reason I only move the left foot out at the last second is to make sure my shoulders and club path are straight to the target. If I set the feet first I'd be worried I just aim everything left.

As Homer said I don't think I have them quite as open as Eureka is meant to be, but just opening them a tad feels like I can turn through the shot better. It helps against my lazy arms-only weak fade swing that I get sometimes.

I’m out 🤣🤣🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Is that it? The Eureka thing? Stand a bit open to encourage the downswing hip turn…?