Decent Course Around Dorking? July.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I am going to be in and around the Dorking area at the end of July. Will be playing at Betchworth Park over the weekend, but ideally looking to find somewhere to play on the Friday which is in the area.

Do you have any suggestions please?

Likely to be a 4 ball, so any good deals about would be good.

Cheers

Martin

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really enjoyed Reigate heath. It’s 9 holes but 18 tees. It’s a bit quirky but was in good nick in August when I played it. It a proper heathland test and a bit old school.

D

Deleted member 1418

I've played both Betchworth Park and Reigate Heath a lot over the years and enjoyed them both. Reigate Heath is great fun. As therod said, 9 holes but 18 different tees, which on a fair few holes make them play completely different from first time round. If you don't mind travelling a little bit from Dorking then also try Kingswood, Leatherhead, Banstead and Cuddington.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've played both Betchworth Park and Reigate Heath a lot over the years and enjoyed them both. Reigate Heath is great fun. As therod said, 9 holes but 18 different tees, which on a fair few holes make them play completely different from first time round. If you don't mind travelling a little bit from Dorking then also try Kingswood, Leatherhead, Banstead and Cuddington.

If the OP gets a chance, I'd recommend Cuddington. Cracking course. Kingswood is reasonable but the greens weren't in great nick last summer when I played

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Another vote for cuddington from me.

played it last with with BIM, Chrisd and Smiffy and loved every single tree on the course. Can’t really comment on the fairways and as I didn’t get a chance to walk them! The greens looked good while I held the flag and watched the others putt out

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Cuddington is nice. Enjoy it whenever I play there. Also echo what others have said about Tyrrells Wood. Fairly mediocre starting hole but gets interesting from the 2nd. Leggy climb up the 17th....:eek:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dorking is an appalling 9-holer shoe-horned into a small area on the side of a hill. Avoid it like the plague. I used to caddy at Tyrrells Wood and love the place. Up and down, some quirky sidehill tee shots but a great course to visit.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers, one of the gents I am playing with knows a member there so was suggesting he could get a discounted rate.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Betchworth Park is nice. Recommended. So is Reigate Heath.

Dorking has a small golf club too, and is quite a fun course to play with some interesting and picturesque holes. I disagree with the comments about 'avoid it like the plague'. Unless you are a tour player and can hit it 330 yards.

Walton Heath is close by, but isn't worth the Summer green fee. It's nice but it's over-rated in my personal opinion.

Another nice course to consider is Effingham.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our society used to go to GM every year, we really enjoyed it. It was meant to be converted to a spa retreat but they couldn't get planning permission. Hopefully they will spend some money on the hotel element and get it back to the way it was.