Dashcams

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who's got them? what are you using? Has it captured anything interesting?

Use body cams/dashcams in work all the time, took me 18 months to get round to buying one for my latest car after swearing it would be the first purchase. Finally got round to fitting one today and literally 3 minutes into it's first journey, it captured a female knocking a young'un off his moped at a junction that proved fatal last year for another young moped driver. fortunately, the guy never even hit the deck, but how odd.

Anyway, I think I'll charge the respective insurance companies for my admin when they request the footage :D

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a Snooper in the work van. TBH I hate having it, but see why it's there. You seem to have to very regularly reformat the memory card, or else the whole things stops doing anything. The time I needed it, that damned thing had stopped working.
I suppose in the blame/claim world we are in they are a good defence to have, but in reality they are (or mine anyway) isnt that reliable and I trouble to see it as a good expense to have made.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cost me nothing, Mrs got a free £50 voucher for Currys so bought one on offer for £50.

I was pranged a couple of weeks ago up the backside, lucky he's held his hands up, so there is no issues, but I know how difficult it is to contest stuff without evidence so I'm glad its there.

Certainly came in handy tonight as I'll probably have to provide a statement so nothing can really be contested and it will probably prevent a day in court.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a dashcam, Tony.

Now I'm sometimes resident in Wales, some of those roads are crazy and I figure driving though the mountains and all that.

I don't use it on the A55 route, but given your story, I might get back into using it.

They're very good these days. I tried to get one in China but I couldn't work out if any of the good models were cheaper than the UK. There were some cheap ones, sure, but they looked bad.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Many years ago, before dash cams were available, a friend of mine was standing at a red light when the car in front of her reversed into her, claiming she run into them. Took her years to sort that out. A dash cam would have been very useful.

Apparently you get discounts at some insurances having one installed. Not really looked into it.

In Russia they are very common. And a lot of videos are all over the web. Meteor showers are the famous examples.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been using a dashcam in my van for the past two + yrs, seen and caught a few mishaps, thankfully none including me, but the vid clips have helped a few poeple out.

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
been using 1 for a few years now,in august was involved in a accident where 3rd party cut across me.at scene admitted liability,but his insurance are arguing and will not.so looks like its goner be drawn out.showed the footage to the police and they said i had no where to go.oh well.

1st drive out when i fitted mine,a **** in a merc shot out on a roundabout ear stuck to his phone,giving it large etc with hand gestures.i pointed to the middle of my screen and done a gesture of your being filmed,he dropped his phone went bright red and disapered up the road.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Generally a good thing.

Be aware that insurers/cops may/can demand to see the video record. The total recording can be inspected and not just the bit you want then to see!

It could be a double edged sword.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally a good thing.

Be aware that insurers/cops may/can demand to see the video record. The total recording can be inspected and not just the bit you want then to see!

It could be a double edged sword.

Insurers can ask, but have no power to obtain it. And I suspect the two insurance companies representing the biker and driver will request my footage. I'll be happy to supply it as long as they cover the admin costs.

Police can only seize it if it contains evidence of an offence they are investigating to prevent it being lost, damaged, destroyed or concealed.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been looking for a while but haven't got a decent one yet. Had a cheap one for a while but didn't need it as nothing happened while using it but it was poor quality and useless at night. There is channel called Techmoan on YouTube does some great reviews for cams. I love his retrotech stuff as well.