Dangerous Animal - any limits on relief?

IslaG

Visit site
I have a question around rule 16.2 Dangerous Animal Condition. We have a NZ bird (imported from our Aussie friends!) – a spur winged plover that nests on the ground on the course and is very protective at nesting time. They make targeted swoops accompanied by raucous screeching until you move far enough away from their nest. These attacks are quite unnerving, although the birds seldom actually strike their ‘victims’ when they do the spur on the wing can scratch deeply. Unfortunately once they have decided you are a threat they can continue to persue you some distance! It is impossible to play a ball with one of them dive bombing you!
view here
16.2 allows you to move away – do you think this applies here. You’d have to move a considerable distance and probably abandon your ball for another. Could you move 50m - 100m Not nearer the hole? In friendly games someone sometimes volunteers to wave an umbrella about while you play but what about a competition?

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but not a direct answer - it is a great question for your national Rules authority who are likely to be more familiar with that bird and its behaviour (and have maybe answered it previously?) than people outside of NZ. If they don't have an answer, they could certainly ask the R&A.
Should add - generally it is up to the player to determine what is safe from a dangerous animal condition. The referee or Committee would be best not to get too involved unless the player was being completely unreasonable.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
I've not come across a swooping bird being considered a dangerous animal condition. I think the best fix is another group member riding shotgun with a driver waved in the air to dissuade the dive bomber getting too close while a stroke is being played.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've not come across a swooping bird being considered a dangerous animal condition. I think the best fix is another group member riding shotgun with a driver waved in the air to dissuade the dive bomber getting too close while a stroke is being played.
When I played a course carved out of the bush in Victoria (Grampian Golf Club) I was told to avoid going to look for my ball if I hit it into the undergrowth, and even if I could see it, unless it wasn't far in and in the clear then I shouldn't really go in to get it or play it. TBH as I was only bashing it round by myself I didn't bother about what I should do if I wanted to score on a hole where it happened. Must go look on their website as I don't recall. Maybe the advice was only for the naïve non-Aussie tourist/visitor :cool:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No help sorry but do remember we had to attach upsidedown cable ties to our cycling helmets to stop being attacked by birds when living in Christchurch
Probably from another bird actually introduced from Oz and now a pest - the Australian Magpie. Particularly aggressive in Spring. A pupil at my (Christchurch) Primary School lost an eye from one attack.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
just switch your 6 iron for a six iron………. Samuel Colt is a classic, and will help shoot plenty of birdies ??

Sam Colt, Harry Colt.... all good golfing people!:ROFLMAO:

Playing in Mexico a few year ago I went over the green. Walked over the rise to see my ball within a couple of feet of a bloody big Gator.

Nuts to the Rules. I dropped a ball well away, and possibly nearer the hole!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Playing in Mexico a few year ago I went over the green. Walked over the rise to see my ball within a couple of feet of a bloody big Gator.

It's normally spelled p r o b a b l y or even c e r t a i n l y ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Did you not see the notice

' Remember to take an Egyptian Goose or two with you'

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've not come across a swooping bird being considered a dangerous animal condition. I think the best fix is another group member riding shotgun with a driver waved in the air to dissuade the dive bomber getting too close while a stroke is being Yplayed.
You can get some pretty hacked off Skylarks but I'm not sure they would classify as dangerous! ;)

D

Deleted member 23344

My Canadian cousin has a holiday home in Phoenix. When I played there, I was told not to go into the rough because of scorpions and rattlesnakes. Suddenly the punitive rough at some UK courses seemed less daunting. Didn’t see any on the course though.