Courses and Facilities around Taunton

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
So it looks like we're moving to Taunton over the course of this year. Anyone got recommendations for courses and practise facilities in the area? I won't be able to become a member anywhere due to massively increased mortgage costs, but I will want to have a driving range I can practise on, preferably short game practise too, and of course a track or two I can pay and play on...

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A very nice young man called Tony aka poker joke is a member in Taunton so no doubt he will be the font of all knowledge in that area

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
A very nice young man called Tony aka poker joke is a member in Taunton so no doubt he will be the font of all knowledge in that area

That's the way to get in my good books

I take it you are looking for somewhere cheapish due to your mortgage and I have the perfect solution.

Tone leisure do a fantastic deal where you get Gym membership at a choice of locations in Taunton and Wellington which is about 10 minutes outside Taunton so it will depend on what side of the town you are going to live in,membership of the local swimming pools one that is in the town and one that is at Blackbrook which is where the gym is,and Golf membership at Vivary park which is a very tight short course in the centre of Taunton which has a 170 yard practice area all for the princely sum of around £300 for the year depending on certain criteria's.
This is an amazing deal if you use it regulary it would be an additional £160 if you wanted to enter comps.
If this is something that would suit you contact me via pm closer to the time and I can get 2 months free and happy to give you half the savings.

We also have a couple of driving ranges in the area Swingrite is one and Oak manor gc is another.
Swingrite is £5.80 for about 50 balls and Oak is £2.50 for about 20 balls and these 20 balls will be the worst you find anywhere,both have short game areas with Oak probably the best albeit rather small but you can use your own balls.

Enmore gc and Taunton and Pickeridge are golf clubs near by but you would have to be members to use their practice facilities I believe and these clubs are 600-800 a year to join.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
That's the way to get in my good books

I take it you are looking for somewhere cheapish due to your mortgage and I have the perfect solution.

Tone leisure do a fantastic deal where you get Gym membership at a choice of locations in Taunton and Wellington which is about 10 minutes outside Taunton so it will depend on what side of the town you are going to live in,membership of the local swimming pools one that is in the town and one that is at Blackbrook which is where the gym is,and Golf membership at Vivary park which is a very tight short course in the centre of Taunton which has a 170 yard practice area all for the princely sum of around £300 for the year depending on certain criteria's.
This is an amazing deal if you use it regulary it would be an additional £160 if you wanted to enter comps.
If this is something that would suit you contact me via pm closer to the time and I can get 2 months free and happy to give you half the savings.

We also have a couple of driving ranges in the area Swingrite is one and Oak manor gc is another.
Swingrite is £5.80 for about 50 balls and Oak is £2.50 for about 20 balls and these 20 balls will be the worst you find anywhere,both have short game areas with Oak probably the best albeit rather small but you can use your own balls.

Enmore gc and Taunton and Pickeridge are golf clubs near by but you would have to be members to use their practice facilities I believe and these clubs are 600-800 a year to join.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions

I work in Taunton 3 days a week and play the Vivary once or twice a week in summer evenings. It's one of cheapest P&P courses I've come across. As mentioned before, it's short but very tight, with lots of trees either side of most fairways.
Also worth a mention that the Pro at Swingright, Mike Steadman, is brilliant if you need lessons.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at Taunton and Pickeridge. Can't recommend highly enough. Poker joke is an ex member of there too. Enmore good also. Any questions just PM. Steve Buzza did a vlog from our course if you want a recommendation and to see what the course looks like.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I live in Taunton but am a member of Enmore. Which in my opinion has the best practice area and biggest around. Take your own balls and hit and pick up also has a practice bunker with 2 greens also has a covered area to practice from. I pay £208 every quarter for membership. Give me a shout if you want a game or to be shown around. I have 2 vouchers for guests which allows 18 holes for £10.

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I live in Taunton but am a member of Enmore. Which in my opinion has the best practice area and biggest around. Take your own balls and hit and pick up also has a practice bunker with 2 greens also has a covered area to practice from. I pay £208 every quarter. Give me a shout if you want a game or to be shown around. I have 2 vouchers for guests which allows 18 holes for £10

Im up for a game mate for £10 happy to kick your ass on your own course

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ok you can kick my Arse if you like but give it another month and we see if the OP wants a game also. Are you only free at weekend or can you play week days

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I will agree that Enmore has a fantastic practice facility. Ours is good, bit yours is different gravy.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I will agree that Enmore has a fantastic practice facility. Ours is good, bit yours is different gravy.

Our range is rather good gotta be 200 yards wide by 500 yard long. seems a waste really. They have spoke about making It bays only but that was rejected. Can't beat going up there hitting 50 balls to a flag then Chipping the ones that miss onto the green. Then do it all over again and it doesn't cost a penny to do that.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our range is rather good gotta be 200 yards wide by 500 yard long. seems a waste really. They have spoke about making It bays only but that was rejected. Can't beat going up there hitting 50 balls to a flag then Chipping the ones that miss onto the green. Then do it all over again and it doesn't cost a penny to do that.
Ours is better than most, but the length runs out at 200 because of the forest. Good to go collecting practice balls with the kids in the summer though!

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have used your practice area a few times as I had lessons with Your pro. Have played Pickeridge quiet a few times I'm not sure I like it as much since you changed the 10th hole. That risk and reward shot over the trees was a daunting shot.only live 10 mins from Pickeridge so must play it again soon.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Thanks for all the input folks. Much appreciated. Will be nice to live in an area with forumites around!
It'll be a good few months before I'm down that way with anything by way of clubs. Kids take up all the room in the car with their clobber.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have used your practice area a few times as I had lessons with Your pro. Have played Pickeridge quiet a few times I'm not sure I like it as much since you changed the 10th hole. That risk and reward shot over the trees was a daunting shot.only live 10 mins from Pickeridge so must play it again soon.

You mean the 17th? I rarely take that on! You've got to hit 240 carry, and it's got to be high! One for the summer months.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You mean the 17th? I rarely take that on! You've got to hit 240 carry, and it's got to be high! One for the summer months.

No I'm mean the old 10th. tee was right behind the 9th green and it was a dog leg to the left. It's the green surrounded by woods. Your 10th now is a par 3

sportsbob

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a member at Oake, if you fancy a round there (plenty of water) then give me a shout so that you can have a discounted rate. I try and play one evening during the week in the summer when her indoors allows. Pickeridge is an excellent course and IMO really improved in recent years. Vivary is short and narrow, no need for a driver. Enmore I cannot comment.