Counterbalancing Driver Shaft

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play an oldish Callaway razr hawk driver but comparing to playing buddies modern drivers it feels way too head heavy
I’m reluctant to change as the ball flies off the middle, it’s just that as I tire I lose a bit of control with fades and the odd bad slice
The lads suggested putting some weight in but end
Would this work and close the face faster? The shaft is 60g Aldila, the lads are all 45g
Cheers

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play an oldish Callaway razr hawk driver but comparing to playing buddies modern drivers it feels way to head heavy
I’m reluctant to change as the ball flies off the middle, it’s just that as I tire I lose a bit of control with fades and the odd bad slice
Would this work and close the face faster? The shaft is 60g Aldila, the lads are all 45g
Cheers
If anything, their drivers with 45g shafts should have higher swing weight (club head feeling heavier) than yours.

Adding a counter weight will in principle lower your club swing weight (lighten up the head feel) but what effect it’d have on your swing is completely unpredictable.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I play an oldish Callaway razr hawk driver but comparing to playing buddies modern drivers it feels way too head heavy
Cheers
While adding weight to the butt will change swing weight (the feeling of being head heavy), it's quite possible/likely that the additional weight involved will actually cause you to tire more! Better, imo, to recognise that you tire and adjust your swing (slow it down slightly) to allow for it. You might lose a few yards, but being 'in-play' is normally far more advantageous!