Costochondritis

Big85

Visit site
Has anyone suffered with this?

Having had several years of chest pain I was told I’d got the above. I’ve had every test going to make sure it’s not cardiac related and all came back good.

Although it feels like it’s cardiac I’ve been reassured it isn’t.I think When I play golf it flares up more. Has anyone noticed this if you have it?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had it a few years ago after a really bad cold. It was caused by the constant coughing. It took about a month to go away. I didn’t play golf while I had it as it was too painful when swinging.

Big85

Visit site
I had it a few years ago after a really bad cold. It was caused by the constant coughing. It took about a month to go away. I didn’t play golf while I had it as it was too painful when swinging.

Ah ok. Wish mine was only for a month. I’ve had it for years now. Chronic Costochondritis

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Have you tried acupuncture? Not saying it can do anything, but I had some years ago for a stomach complaint, and while it couldn't help that (surgery needed), one time she put a needle into the webbing between thumb and finger and I had to ask her to remove it as my foot felt like it was in a vice and was really painful. Even a little sore to walk on for some minutes afterwards, so I'm convinced there's something to it. Weird isn't the word for the feeling.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a similar rib injury. After playing golf and being at home for a couple of hours I always had a crippling sharp rib pain if I moved the wrong way too quickly. I was more convinced it was a lung inflammation so they gave me an inhaler and it worked wonders.

I used to walk out the clubhouse full of aches too but no longer have this issue either!

Maybe worth looking into.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just googled this and genuinely think I may have had it, but only briefly. Just on occasion I'll get this tight chest pain that is quite alarming just due to proximity to the heart - but then it'll go away after five minutes. A friend of mine reckons it's common in people who play golf though.

Big85

Visit site
Have you tried acupuncture? Not saying it can do anything, but I had some years ago for a stomach complaint, and while it couldn't help that (surgery needed), one time she put a needle into the webbing between thumb and finger and I had to ask her to remove it as my foot felt like it was in a vice and was really painful. Even a little sore to walk on for some minutes afterwards, so I'm convinced there's something to it. Weird isn't the word for the feeling.

no I’ve not tried acupuncture for this. I have had acupuncture for another injury though and found it quite helpful so will look into it

Big85

Visit site
I had a similar rib injury. After playing golf and being at home for a couple of hours I always had a crippling sharp rib pain if I moved the wrong way too quickly. I was more convinced it was a lung inflammation so they gave me an inhaler and it worked wonders.

I used to walk out the clubhouse full of aches too but no longer have this issue either!

Maybe worth looking into.

Ah ok something else to look into. Cheers

Big85

Visit site
Just googled this and genuinely think I may have had it, but only briefly. Just on occasion I'll get this tight chest pain that is quite alarming just due to proximity to the heart - but then it'll go away after five minutes. A friend of mine reckons it's common in people who play golf though.

Yup it certainly worries you at times!! I can see why it is common in golfers due to the mechanics and movement in the golf swing. It’s just frustrating and can make you very anxious

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I don't think costocondritis goes away after a few minutes or feels like tight chest pain.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/costochondritis/

Big85

Visit site
I don't think costocondritis goes away after a few minutes or feels like tight chest pain.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/costochondritis/

It is a fine line with the symptoms! This is why is such a frustrating and worrying thing to have because you think it’s something really serious but it’s actually just the pain from the “costo”. But if anyone is ever in doubt then defo call 111/999. I’ve been down to a and e many a time with mine.

They told me of it feels like an elephant is sat on your chest or a really tight band crushing feeling around your chest then ring 999