Costco Kirkland KS1 Putter

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spa.../Golf/Kirkland-Signature-KS1-Putter/p/1380932

Sorry, why are they bothering; it will always have the "poor man's Scotty" tag. It may putt perfectly well, it looks to have decent components, but I just can't see it selling.

Of course it may have that 'tag' but a Scotty is pretty much £400, so economics will push people to the lower price point. And there are plenty people that will value function at a lower cost.

As I said, my guess is they will reduce the price a bit more below other 'big' brands like Ping and Odyssey. Ultimately there will likely still be a significant markup on the manufacture of a few bits of metal and a synthetic grip, even at £120.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would buy that when you could get a brand spanking new Rife, Cleveland, Wilson, odyssey, yes etc etc for much less.

All of which have more pedigree and ultimately don’t look like a putter bought from a cash and carry.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
We dont have Costco in NI, but just been on their site, they arent overly cheap compared to other discounted golf places. Certainly wouldn't be paying that much money for an unproven putter. That price point is a good odyssey or used Scotty.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Of course it may have that 'tag' but a Scotty is pretty much £400, so economics will push people to the lower price point. And there are plenty people that will value function at a lower cost.

As I said, my guess is they will reduce the price a bit more below other 'big' brands like Ping and Odyssey. Ultimately there will likely still be a significant markup on the manufacture of a few bits of metal and a synthetic grip, even at £120.

Economics will push people towards a second hand Scotty, a Rife or a Cleveland before it will push people towards something you’d expect to see in Sports Direct.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering Costco have some kind of deal with Callaway wouldn't it be better to just sell some of their gear instead of trying to get a brand

I mean their gloves are ok but nothing special

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Economics will push people towards a second hand Scotty, a Rife or a Cleveland before it will push people towards something you’d expect to see in Sports Direct.

It will, but a lot of people just want new stuff and will never consider second hand stuff, despite the economics of it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Of course it will. I am another that doesn't understand why they'd want to enter such a competitive market especially when you have several big hitters in Ping, Odyssey TM and Scotty. Add in other brands like Bettarnardi, and Cleveland who also make top quality putters and where are they going at that price range. Surely better off aiming at the budget-mid end of the market but even then where is the gap

Perhaps they haven't realised that most golfers are knobs and are more interested in having a "name" to show off than a functional club.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Considering Costco have some kind of deal with Callaway wouldn't it be better to just sell some of their gear instead of trying to get a brand

I mean their gloves are ok but nothing special

Sadly Costco don’t do the Callaway gloves anymore, they’ve been replaced by their own Kirkland brand. I bought some and they are crap, I really liked the Callaway they did.