Costco Kirkland KS1 Putter

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Noticed this is now available on the UK website, haven't been in store for a while but I would assume it's there too. Unfortunately a very poor price compared to the US, £179.99 vs $149.99, straight equivalent would be under £119.99. Appears to get good reviews online and it's a lot cheaper than a Scotty Cameron but at that price will still be competing against fairly high end putters. Anyone noticed the in store price?

Fabia999

Visit site
Noticed this is now available on the UK website, haven't been in store for a while but I would assume it's there too. Unfortunately a very poor price compared to the US, £179.99 vs $149.99, straight equivalent would be under £119.99. Appears to get good reviews online and it's a lot cheaper than a Scotty Cameron but at that price will still be competing against fairly high end putters. Anyone noticed the in store price?
Not 100% sure but I would take a good guess that they're made in USA? and cost quite a bit to ship over therefore the price is more over here.

Sekiro

Visit site
US prices will be before tax too, so there’s that to factor in.

As for pricing, at £179 that puts it in new Ping or used “anything” tier which might mean it doesnt end up in the hands of as many golfers this side of the pond.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never expected it to be the usd/gbp conversion price but thought it would be around the 1:1 ratio £149.99. Seem to be sold out in the US so must be popular over there.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks very well made and high end, sadly as a brand it needs to be priced a lot lower. look at my SCOTTY sorry Kirkland £190 putter on ebay for £25 a week later. resale value zero.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Looks very well made and high end, sadly as a brand it needs to be priced a lot lower. look at my SCOTTY sorry Kirkland £190 putter on ebay for £25 a week later. resale value zero.
Perhaps you should actually check out 'Sold items' before 'opening you mouth and putting your foot in it' - albeit still currently only US sales!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Slightly surprised at Costco getting so far into the Golf business, however in reality the main manufacturers leave a huge gap in the price structure of golf equipment that there is an obvious sweet spot where other brands can still manufacture and market a product which is decent quality and reassuringly expensive with enough of a profit margin.

I bought an Old Tom Driver, now Caley Golf, which is a direct to consumer business that started in 2018. Appears like he is going to a factory in China with a design, paying for a prototype and then ordering a hundred or so units for direct sale in the UK. Decent quality equipment for probably half the price of a Callaway or Taylor Made.

Obviously there are limitations in terms of custom fitting, re-sale etc.

Ultimately golf clubs have now changed very little in the past decade, and much longer in the case of irons and putters. It becomes a marketing exercise for the big boys to convince you their club is better than last years.

The Kirkland putters looks good from a design and style point of view. Again, agree the price seems high but if they are selling out, then no incentive to reduce it. If you really want a Scotty killer then get yourself a brand new Cleveland Huntington Beach for £60.

Cleveland Putter

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would you immediately be looking at resale prices? Surely if you pick your equipment correctly then you'll choose something that works and the resale won't matter?

Is there any reason a Scotty has a good resale value? Surely if the Kirkland is well made then it should have a similar resale potential .... Unless your saying that the Scotty is being purely on its name alone?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why would you immediately be looking at resale prices? Surely if you pick your equipment correctly then you'll choose something that works and the resale won't matter?

Is there any reason a Scotty has a good resale value? Surely if the Kirkland is well made then it should have a similar resale potential .... Unless your saying that the Scotty is being purely on its name alone?

Of course this is the case.

Going to be a far higher number of people in the market for a Scotty than a Kirkland putter.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf is a tough market. Nike couldn't pull it off on equipment. Image and cool factor do sell kit, and I think if they are going to pull it off, but they need to provide similar quality to big brands but much better price so people can pat themselves on the back for being a "discerning buyer".

The putter is $149 in the US, plus sales tax, typically 6 or 7%, so lets say $160. That is £122 at todays exchange. £179 is an unrealistic price. In other brands, comparing prices between big US and UK retailers, the UK price is not usually above (and is sometimes below) the same number before sales tax, so I reckon £149 is the sensible max price around here.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Golf is a tough market. Nike couldn't pull it off on equipment. Image and cool factor do sell kit, and I think if they are going to pull it off, but they need to provide similar quality to big brands but much better price so people can pat themselves on the back for being a "discerning buyer".

The putter is $149 in the US, plus sales tax, typically 6 or 7%, so lets say $160. That is £122 at todays exchange. £179 is an unrealistic price. In other brands, comparing prices between big US and UK retailers, the UK price is not usually above (and is sometimes below) the same number before sales tax, so I reckon £149 is the sensible max price around here.

I think the issue for Nike was that their business model... premium goods with a big marketing budget is basically the same business model of Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist and to only a slightly lesser extent Ping, Mizuno, Cobra, Cleveland, Wilson etc.

In most other sports they might have expected to have 2 or 3 realistic competitors and a few 'cheaper' brands.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come on, who is going to buy one of these at this price? I can see some Costco employees being given these at massive discounts in the near future just to move them on. Branding matters, particularly at this price point,.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the issue for Nike was that their business model... premium goods with a big marketing budget is basically the same business model of Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist and to only a slightly lesser extent Ping, Mizuno, Cobra, Cleveland, Wilson etc.

In most other sports they might have expected to have 2 or 3 realistic competitors and a few 'cheaper' brands.

Pity, I liked the Nike products.

But Costco's model is good quality at reasonable price. Dunno about the quality, but I think the UK price is a bit rich and is in the premium category, quite a few Ping, Odyssey and the like at similar money.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Costco may be banking on/hoping the people that are already bought into the balls, gloves, etc. just keep on spending.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Costco may be banking on/hoping the people that are already bought into the balls, gloves, etc. just keep on spending.

My guess is that the RRP is just a starting point and they will likely be quickly discounted by 20% to around the £150 mark.

I personally like the look of the putters in terms of the styling, but there is zero chance I will buy a golf club that is a grocery brand.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spa.../Golf/Kirkland-Signature-KS1-Putter/p/1380932

Sorry, why are they bothering; it will always have the "poor man's Scotty" tag. It may putt perfectly well, it looks to have decent components, but I just can't see it selling.

Of course it will. I am another that doesn't understand why they'd want to enter such a competitive market especially when you have several big hitters in Ping, Odyssey TM and Scotty. Add in other brands like Bettarnardi, and Cleveland who also make top quality putters and where are they going at that price range. Surely better off aiming at the budget-mid end of the market but even then where is the gap

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

True I'm not buying either tbh, pretty lame reply based on future value :-( a better reply is why is it $179 when the big legacy golf manufacturers pay for pro's to use them and KIRKLAND don't.

also I'd buy anything that got the ball in the hole lately.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Saw it in store the other week, they were all boxed up, no open one to have a look at. Saw the price and walked away, it will need some seriously good reviews before anyone starts picking one up at that price.