Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mandatory jabs or a full blown covid passport similar to the German model simply won't be applied in the UK. The human righters and civil liberty brigade would see to that long before it came close to reaching parliament and a vote. Not right necessarily depending on your point of view and given where I work it is something I am in favour of, especially when you see some of the unvaccinated patients we have had lately, and some of the outcomes

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mandatory jabs or a full blown covid passport similar to the German model simply won't be applied in the UK. The human righters and civil liberty brigade would see to that long before it came close to reaching parliament and a vote. Not right necessarily depending on your point of view and given where I work it is something I am in favour of, especially when you see some of the unvaccinated patients we have had lately, and some of the outcomes
It won't be applied because it will manly, like in Germany will be difficult to police and would cost major amounts of money for some businesses to get it up and running.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It won't be applied because it will manly, like in Germany will be difficult to police and would cost major amounts of money for some businesses to get it up and running.
Am I right in thinking (and stand to be corrected) that mandatory passports have been introduced elsewhere though and have been working (to some degree). Didn't Austria do it recently?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I right in thinking (and stand to be corrected) that mandatory passports have been introduced elsewhere though and have been working (to some degree). Didn't Austria do it recently?
Some have been saying they will do it bit nobody has come up with how or what sanctions can be applied.

IMO removing freedom of choice is a dangerous route to go down.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not right necessarily depending on your point of view and given where I work it is something I am in favour of, especially when you see some of the unvaccinated patients we have had lately, and some of the outcomes

But that is their choice, their decision. What about those who die as a result of the vaccine? However tiny that number it will have happened because it was forced upon them. That, for me, is far worse than some unvaccinated succumbing to the virus through their own choice however harsh that sounds.

The vaccine roll out was always about protecting the vulnerable etc, it should never be a mandatory thing imo.

Leftitshort

Visit site
human righters & civil Liberty brigade????? there’s a different word for anyone who would implement mandatory vaccines

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Mmm. I want to be able to drive without the need for a driving licence… bit simplistic I know but…

Seriously though, I agree it should be by choice, but that restrictions be in place for those that choose not to have it. No going in a pub or restaurant, nor a cinema or concert. No going into shops nor sitting on a plane. That isn’t just restricting their ‘liberties,’ it’s, more importantly, protecting other people.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Mmm. I want to be able to drive without the need for a driving licence… bit simplistic I know but…

Seriously though, I agree it should be by choice, but that restrictions be in place for those that choose not to have it. No going in a pub or restaurant, nor a cinema or concert. No going into shops nor sitting on a plane. That isn’t just restricting their ‘liberties,’ it’s, more importantly, protecting other people.
If that’s what it takes ….Yep. Making it mandatory is going down a very dark road

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

This was what I was alluding to and is the first stage of the German plan https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...rictions-brought-in-for-unvaccinated-12484587 and access to shops etc will be restricted to those jabbed. That is a sensible suggestion but again in the run up to Christmas and in busy shopping areas (Lakeside, Oxford Street) with people going from shop to shop how would it be managed here or in the German (or anywhere else) equivalent. I simply fear even a plan like this will be met with harsh protest even though it would be protecting others

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This was what I was alluding to and is the first stage of the German plan https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...rictions-brought-in-for-unvaccinated-12484587 and access to shops etc will be restricted to those jabbed. That is a sensible suggestion but again in the run up to Christmas and in busy shopping areas (Lakeside, Oxford Street) with people going from shop to shop how would it be managed here or in the German (or anywhere else) equivalent. I simply fear even a plan like this will be met with harsh protest even though it would be protecting others

Thing is, I would agree with these restrictions a lot more if the vaccine meant that there was no transmission however whilst it may reduce it slightly it still seems plenty easy for it to spread from vaccinated to vaccinated, vaccinated to unvaccinated and so on. Given this is the case then surely the only people who are really at risk are the unvaccinated and that is their choice.

Those who are vulnerable will have the vaccine and will be as protected as they can be but they’ll just as likely catch it from well meaning family members as the unvaccinated.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought that was Greece?

Just Googled it and Greece are considering fining anyone over 60 that isn't vaccinated €100 per month. Not sure how they will get away with that with age discrimination laws. Austria are considering fines of €7200 for anyone that's not vaccinated.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Simple question and may have been asked before. Should people who refuse to be vaccinated if they catch COVID have the opportunity to go to hospital for treatment?