Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw 100% compliance with masks in retail today and even everyone in a coffee shop, though officially not required in hospitality.

Also a lot of people wearing masks in the street too - so not everywhere is the same.
Ah so not a feckless policy more a people problem. Good to see politics being used by some. Its like the drip drip drip of Chinese torture.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The “internets chief medical officer” has given more time, help and advice on this forum than most. The advice whether it fits your mantra or not has been greatly appreciated By some, I would suggest most forummers. The advice contributes more than your comment.

Chris Whitty recently said something along the lines of 'Don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't accept advice from'. I think he has it about right. I usually don't bother trying to persuade the people who post crap, because that is usually a futile task.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take a pill, Paul. A strong one.

not quite sure what that means in the context of you saying we should give South Africa vaccines when they have more than they can use? Supply is not the issue. Totally agree that this thing is not done until we are all vaccinated

https://www.reuters.com/world/afric...cine-deliveries-inoculations-slow-2021-11-24/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...j-j-pfizer-vaccine-delivery-delay-news24-says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ne-doses-issue-is-more-complicated-than-that/

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Saw 100% compliance with masks in retail today and even everyone in a coffee shop, though officially not required in hospitality.

Also a lot of people wearing masks in the street too - so not everywhere is the same.
Just back from town and this was what we observed also. And going into our local town centre (small) Sainsbury's - member of staff at entrance handing out masks to all who were coming in without one on.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
? Source - Politics for all.

?? | BREAKING: The Omicron variant appears to be a ‘super mild‘ mutation with Covid death rate in South Africa not jumping.

There have been no reports of hospitalisations or deaths as a result of anyone being diagnosed with Omicron.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am honestly interested, and not making a point of any sort, but can anyone explain (without getting politicial) why the WHO are so keen to downplay the Omicron variant. The reaction from other nations has been similar to the Kent variant and Delta and not disproportionate and there seems to be quite a bit of sensible talk about letting the data develop before any changes in opinions are formed. The WHO seems to have taken a very strict view on most things (even quite extreme in some cases) but really seem to be downplaying this variant and making every effort to put across the view that it is mild and world is over reacting. Just seems a very contrary stance to everything that has gone before.

D

Deleted member 21258

I am honestly interested, and not making a point of any sort, but can anyone explain (without getting politicial) why the WHO are so keen to downplay the Omicron variant. The reaction from other nations has been similar to the Kent variant and Delta and not disproportionate and there seems to be quite a bit of sensible talk about letting the data develop before any changes in opinions are formed. The WHO seems to have taken a very strict view on most things (even quite extreme in some cases) but really seem to be downplaying this variant and making every effort to put across the view that it is mild and world is over reacting. Just seems a very contrary stance to everything that has gone before.

They believe the vaccines will still be very effective against severe stuff, as our immune system complex/polyclonal. It also gets better at 'targeting' variants with the booster or infection(real life data on infection shows it gets even better on variants. I am not suggesting to get infected before vaccination btw).

Whilst antibodies maybe not great with the new variant (not know for certain yet, time and initially lab stuff will come though), assuming this is true, then break though infections will rise. Which may not be good news for the much older groups.

But T cells however target part of the virus that with this variant is fairly similar to the other variants of concern (has been posted by a number of top people/labs). Again time will tell tho.

Transmission/immune escape and how lethal it is, questions, are basically still unknown.

Lets not forgot we are currently battling a delta wave (who knows what the future brings). Get those boosters in the arms of the old/venerable now.

Will give this thread a shout out and to the tweetor, who generally worth readings for updates (if you are vaccine hesitant or unsure, deals with things perfectly and encouragingly)

Chise ????? MFF on Twitter: "If there is one thing I am going to tell you today it is to IGNORE the media and the clickbait headlines on this new variant. There is NO plausible scenario this will take us back to square one and there is a lot of misinformation currently circulating. Working on a thread now." / Twitter

if you wish to read from proper people on twitter, got plenty of threads saved, which happy to post up, edit such as Bloom Lab on Twitter: "Here's how mutations in #SARSCoV2 Nu variant (B.1.1.529) will affect polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies targeting RBD. These assessments based on deep-mutational scanning experiments; underlying data can be explored interactively at https://t.co/uP3IKvnDw0 (1/n)" / Twitter

You can not stop variants coming into the country, unless you close off all borders and all supply chains.

Lots of guessing currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it the Moderna booster? I had that and they laid it on thick about possible heart reactions to this one. Might be worth ringing your gp to check on this.

HID had the Moderna and there was no mention of heart issues. Given he should need to be aware of this that's a bit worrying. He was fine though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
HID had the Moderna and there was no mention of heart issues. Given he should need to be aware of this that's a bit worrying. He was fine though.
I was told verbally, very deliberately, and also the leaflet for the jab made a big play for this. I didn't get a similar warning for my first two, AZ, and my wife didn't get this for hers, Pfizer, so it made me take note.

The fact they made a big point about it surprises me that nothing was said to your hubby. Maybe the person he was dealing with had been there so long they had become bored of the routine and had given up with repeating the same lines? Pleased all was well though (y)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was told verbally, very deliberately, and also the leaflet for the jab made a big play for this. I didn't get a similar warning for my first two, AZ, and my wife didn't get this for hers, Pfizer, so it made me take note.

The fact they made a big point about it surprises me that nothing was said to your hubby. Maybe the person he was dealing with had been there so long they had become bored of the routine and had given up with repeating the same lines? Pleased all was well though (y)

Are you supposed to read the leaflets:oops: Only thing he mentioned was they asked about any allergies or if he was on blood thinners. Like you say all was ok though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you supposed to read the leaflets:oops: Only thing he mentioned was they asked about any allergies or if he was on blood thinners. Like you say all was ok though.
Normally I skim them at best but when they and it mentioned heart racing and speak to your doctor / 111 if it does it focused my mind a little more than usual. It was a level up on the usual scary things that are in leaflets.