Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The most important difference affecting Covid and vaccination response is HIV prevalence, which is around 20% of the population in SA. Immunocompromised people also ideal breeding ground for variants. We really should give them some vaccines right away if we don't want another repeat of this, perhaps a bad one.
Agree, but read elsewhere that SA have a good stockpile of vaccines.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It isn't really either/or. The UK has plenty of vaccines. The pace of booster vax is based on public willingness and staff availability.

But the UK has not really been in an outward looking foreign aid kinda mood lately.

South Africa just told Pfizer to hold off deliveries as they have more than enough and they cannot get people to take them. But I suppose that is the UK's fault??

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The feckless policy and reckless behaviour of certain [redacted] has really undermined any possibility of good compliance with masks.

Not so. It's down to thoughtless and selfish individuals who decide to kick against all the advice.
They don't fail to wear masks because (redacted) didn't make it against the law not to.

D

Deleted member 21258

Blimely Myocarditis rates are not great for young males.

Depending on country it seems to be anything from 1 in 3,000 to 1 in 20000ish

Wonder when we will move the discussion onto, how should we vaccinate and reduce these risks, we should be using other vaccines for example. (assuming you believe in vaccination for young males)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Careful how you speak to the internet's chief medical officer and international covid expert ??
The “internets chief medical officer” has given more time, help and advice on this forum than most. The advice whether it fits your mantra or not has been greatly appreciated By some, I would suggest most forummers. The advice contributes more than your comment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Just had a couple of interesting days, after my booster jab.

about 2 hours after getting the booster, heart was beating like the clappers so got my oximeter out, it was reading 100-110 for about 4-5 hours. And then high 80s for the next 24 hours. Since then been in the high 70s. Hope it changes soon.

For someone who has a resting heart beat of lowish/mid 50s, it is a bit unsettling.

Dont think I have ever had anything like that before

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

about 2 hours after getting the booster, heart was beating like the clappers so got my oximeter out, it was reading 100-110 for about 4-5 hours. And then high 80s for the next 24 hours. Since then been in the high 70s. Hope it changes soon.

For someone who has a resting heart beat of lowish/mid 50s, it is a bit unsettling.

My resting HR was up for a few days after the booster, not the levels you saw, but up a good 40/50%

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Was it the Moderna booster? I had that and they laid it on thick about possible heart reactions to this one. Might be worth ringing your gp to check on this.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My resting HR was up for a few days after the booster, not the levels you saw, but up a good 40/50%

An increase in resting heart rate is a known side effect of the vaccine in some people. It should settle down. It reflects your immune system being activated like what happens when you have a fever.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan Do you know much about Dr Aseem Malhotra? On the face of it he appears to be credible as a Consultant Cardiologist and I heard him on the radio talking about research presently going on that suggests a large increase in the risk of heart issues due to inflammation caused by mRNA vaccines. The reason I ask is that I am double dosed (both AZ) and was happy to do so, in theory I am now due for my Booster which would be one of the mRNA and listening to him on the radio made we think about delaying the booster jab as my present risk from Covid is very low and so I'd rather wait to see if anything does come out from the figures of issues to do with the Pfizer vaccines etc. Again, this isn't a post about anti-vax and I appreciate that if you read the insert in a Paracetamol packet you'd probably never take them either however if I am looking at personal risk which would present the bigger issue?

I suspect that my decision may be made for me if Vaccine Passports are introduced in England as I would then require the vaccine however reading and listening to the information from the doctor above has made then think.

EDIT:

I know this is from GB News however he is saying here what I heard on the radio....

GB News on Twitter: "'They aren't going to publish their findings, they are concerned about losing research money' Dr Aseem Malhotra reveals a cardiology researcher found similar results to a new report showing an increase in risk of heart attack following the mRNA COVID vaccine. https://t.co/63evorQwlJ" / Twitter

Update:

The research Malhotra was referencing has been given a 'expression of concern' by the journal Circulation. It isn't peer-reviewed and there are some problems with the data used and conclusions reached. Journals publish papers that are peer-reviewed, that is the gold standard, although certainly not foolproof. They also publish short presentations made at clinical meetings associated with the journal, in this case the American Heart Association, who own Circulation. These are not peer reviewed. Essentially, the abstract Malhotra spoke about used a prediction tool for future heart disease and when you put in some figures for heart rate and blood pressure increase, it gives a higher risk of later heart disease. But the heart rate and blood pressure increase are very short term, and the tool assumes that these parameters are chronic. Malhotra knows it is crap, but it fits with his worldview and gets him on TV and lots of retweets, so that's all right then.

D

Deleted member 21258

Cheers, interesting to read. Didn't realise that sometimes it can go up that much % wise. Thats not far from what I am now.

Not really read or spoke to anyone that had the high heart rate (clearly along with the normal stuff, like dead arm, took me back to school days when someone would punch your arm after your jabs:LOL:)

I would have made a phonecall to have asked questions, if the 100+ had continued into the evening, just unsettling but not worried as didnt have any pain or other effects.

D

Deleted member 21258

Thought better of it, and I would delete, as doing what I was posting about and that is wrong.

embarrassed. Take care everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: