Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So was I, did two lateral flow tests, both negative, did a PCR the day after and positive. A friend's wife did 7 negative lateral flow tests then a positive PCR, did another lateral flow and was negative on that ?
Only a small snapshot and I really don't know the science behind them but I wouldn't trust that test.

If you have symptoms you need a PCR. The LFTs are OK for screening asymptomatic people, but not much more.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thank you. Point of what I have posted today is to highlight the issues that those working in the performing arts sector still face - despite things ostensibly being back to normal. They ain’t.

We know, you keep telling us.

If you keep bringing the subject up, dont get surprised when prople comment on it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So was I, did two lateral flow tests, both negative, did a PCR the day after and positive. A friend's wife did 7 negative lateral flow tests then a positive PCR, did another lateral flow and was negative on that ?
Only a small snapshot and I really don't know the science behind them but I wouldn't trust that test.

Ethan pointed out PCR can come back postive off old viruses..

Like when you have had covid you will test positive for 3 months is it?

Both have their uses and faults

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Wrong - so very, very wrong…besides … what do you mean by a ‘proper job’… he has got a proper job…would you suggest the same to all self-employed…that when times are tough they should get a ‘proper’ job. I suggest that you wouldn’t.

A proper job as in Monday to Friday, 9-5 maybe working an office which I seem to remember he has done before.
Then do his Dj work in the evenings and weekends until work picks up.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ethan pointed out PCR can come back postive off old viruses..

Like when you have had covid you will test positive for 3 months is it?

Both have their uses and faults
It is not that you will test positive for three months . It is that it is possible to test positive up to three months . most people will test negative shortly after infection.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From Monday if I come to UK from such as Spain, then if I am fully vaccinated I will not need to self-isolate, but on Monday if I am pinged by the NHS App I have to self-isolate even if I am fully vaccinated. What am I missing.

D-S

Visit site
From Monday if I come to UK from such as Spain, then if I am fully vaccinated I will not need to self-isolate, but on Monday if I am pinged by the NHS App I have to self-isolate even if I am fully vaccinated. What am I missing.
Just to state the obvious, if you have been pinged you have therefore been in close physical contact for over 15 minutes with someone who has just tested positive for Covid-19 - if you are a passenger arriving from Spain you have not been shown to have done so.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to state the obvious, if you have been pinged you have therefore been in close physical contact for over 15 minutes with someone who has just tested positive for Covid-19 - if you are a passenger arriving from Spain you have not been shown to have done so.
I'm guessing the passengers from Spain would also have had to show a negative test before boarding the flight?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Your missing that you don't have to obey the NHS app (even though I would) just legally you dont

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Absolutely everything. Coming from Spain does not mean that you have had contact with anyone with Covid and so you arrive and get on with your life. Being pinged by the NHS app means that you have been in contact wiht someone with covid and so follow the protocols. Reallly not sure what the confusion is unless the insinuation is that every traveller from Spain has been in contact with someone with Covid.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
True, I'm just saying I would take a negative lateral flow test with a pinch of salt, specially if you have some sort of symptoms.

Indeed. All tests that rely on quantifying something must either focus on identifying cases, accepting they will have some false positives, or in ruling out cases, accepting they will have some false negatives. This trade-off is usually unavoidable, and results essentially from where the "cut-off" defining a case is drawn on the scale.

In the case of Covid tests, PCRs err on the former end, so they generate false positives, usually due to dead virus or virus that is just sitting there rather than actively infecting the patients. This is less of a concern if you are dealing with symptomatic patients. If you get a positive PCR test, you 'probably' have Covid.

LFTs, on the other hand, focus on identifying people who do not have the virus, but this means that they will miss some people who have virus, but this is less of a problem if you are dealing with non-symptomatic patients and are doing community surveillance. If you get a positive LFT test, you are very likely to have Covid, but a negative test does not rule out infection with the same level of certainty. The LFT is intended as a red-light to take action, not a green light to abandon other hygiene measures.