Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
By the look of the traffic for the last 3 days going south past Bristol I would suggest leaving on Thursday.

Currently trying to decide which way to go, there’s a few different options from Southampton. It sounds like the longer but “faster” route of upto Bristol and down the M5 is not going to be chosen then. I was expecting to hit some traffic whichever way we go, just hope it’s not too bad.

D-S

Visit site
Currently trying to decide which way to go, there’s a few different options from Southampton. It sounds like the longer but “faster” route of upto Bristol and down the M5 is not going to be chosen then. I was expecting to hit some traffic whichever way we go, just hope it’s not too bad.
The M5 this summer J15-19, which I use to go the the golf club, has been honestly ridiculous. Yesterday it was stacked from 14-19 with a fair chunk coming off to go down the A38 (bad move) - this was a Monday in the morning and just after midday. Weekdays seem like Friday and Saturday in a normal year, no idea what weekends are like as I take the back lanes via Aust and Avonmouth but the sat nag has been saying 50mins to an hour of delay for this stretch alone.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2nd jab in the arm this morning (Pfizer), didn’t have any effects after the first, hope I’m the same with this one.

We go on holiday (Cornwall) on Saturday so glad to get it done before that.
Mrs had nothing with the 1st one, but a majorly dead arm with the second which travelled down her armpit and into her breast, she was getting a bit concerned until one of the girls she workes with said she had exactly the same thing.
As for cornwall, leave early, A36, A303, A30

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We now have 23 infected in the village. Talking to one of the local councillors, virtually none of them have even a sniffle. They tested positive following contact tracing with someone who is ill with it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We now have 23 infected in the village. Talking to one of the local councillors, virtually none of them have even a sniffle. They tested positive following contact tracing with someone who is ill with it.

If they got PCR tests, the test may be a little over enthusiastic and can test positive with old infection that is no longer transmissible. Still, should probably erect a cordon around the village and firebomb it from the air just to be sure. Good luck.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If they got PCR tests, the test may be a little over enthusiastic and can test positive with old infection that is no longer transmissible. Still, should probably erect a cordon around the village and firebomb it from the air just to be sure. Good luck.

We’ve dug a moat and raised the drawbridge. HID is vaccinated but courtesy of Spanish bureaucracy I’m not.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By the look of the traffic for the last 3 days going south past Bristol I would suggest leaving on Thursday.

Southampton to Cornwall via Bristol that is a new one on me. M27- A31 - A35- A38 must get just as horrific on a Saturday morning.

Living nearly next to the A303 I always used to leave here at 6-7 in the morning if I wanted to go to Devon/Cornwall on a Saturday morning.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

BTW, This one isn't a joke! ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, confused now, just seen this quote

More than half of Covid hospital admissions are patients who only tested positive later, the Daily Telegraph reported, citing leaked data.
The newspaper said that as of Thursday, just 44% of patients classed as being in hospital with Covid had tested positive when they were admitted.

So are we saying that the figures for hospital admissions include people who are in hospital and just happen to have covid as opposed to my understanding that these fgures only included people who were in hospital because of covid.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Living in the West Country my advice would be to leave a 5 am. When I used to go Devon/ Cornwall I used to leave here between 7 and 8 in the morning (A303 A30 A38) and it was not much bother. Sometimes my journey was leaving Devon/Cornwall at 2pm and the traffic heading West was nose to to tail all the way and I often used to leave Plymouth at 6pm and it was still the same.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, confused now, just seen this quote

More than half of Covid hospital admissions are patients who only tested positive later, the Daily Telegraph reported, citing leaked data.
The newspaper said that as of Thursday, just 44% of patients classed as being in hospital with Covid had tested positive when they were admitted.

So are we saying that the figures for hospital admissions include people who are in hospital and just happen to have covid as opposed to my understanding that these fgures only included people who were in hospital because of covid.

A lot depends on how much later. If it is a day or two, then the virus was doing its thing when they were admitted and may well, or probably did, contribute to the reason for admission.

The Torygraph is trying to explain away many of the admissions as not Covid-related. That is not the experience of doctors working in hospitals who are seeing plenty of people with Covid, and younger than previous waves.

The problem is that sometimes older people are admitted with, say, heart failure. They may have had chronic heart failure and bumbled along with moderate impairment, but a UTI or chest infection will precipitate a decline and they need admitted. Ostensibly the reason for admission is heart failure, but the thing that really caused the admission was the UTI or chest infection. This is much less likely to happen with younger people, whose hearts, kidneys or whatever are much less likely to be tipped over the edge, so when younger people are admitted it is more likely to be "pure" Covid. Older people also get vague 'off their feet' problems and can be triggered by one or more problems.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Found out from a local driving examiner that several test centres have had to close due to contact with a positive candidate taking their test.
All candidates are advised to have a test before their driving test and if positive they should reschedule...yeah, like that's going to happen with a potential 6 to 8 month wait for another chance..of course they should but I bet none of them will.
Just lengthens the waiting times and costs us business too.
Had 3 cancelled lessons last week due to isolating and 1 so far this week.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ireland plans to offer vax to 12-15 year olds

I think this is a good idea. People can choose whether to receive it or not, but the risks of non-fatal Covid complications have been underplayed for teenagers, and the contribution to transmission and herd immunity is significant.

Won't happen here, though. If it did, I would offer my 13 year old the choice. I am pretty sure he would take it, but he would be allowed to make his own choice.

There is an interesting parallel with HPV vaccine. This is overwhelmingly for the prevention of cervical cancer in women, with sexual transmission a common route of transmission, so boys getting it are doing it for their future partners. There is a very small effect on some rare male cancers, but really pretty small and very remote in time, so not enough to justify the programme on its own.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot depends on how much later. If it is a day or two, then the virus was doing its thing when they were admitted and may well, or probably did, contribute to the reason for admission.

The Torygraph is trying to explain away many of the admissions as not Covid-related. That is not the experience of doctors working in hospitals who are seeing plenty of people with Covid, and younger than previous waves.

The problem is that sometimes older people are admitted with, say, heart failure. They may have had chronic heart failure and bumbled along with moderate impairment, but a UTI or chest infection will precipitate a decline and they need admitted. Ostensibly the reason for admission is heart failure, but the thing that really caused the admission was the UTI or chest infection. This is much less likely to happen with younger people, whose hearts, kidneys or whatever are much less likely to be tipped over the edge, so when younger people are admitted it is more likely to be "pure" Covid. Older people also get vague 'off their feet' problems and can be triggered by one or more problems.

Fully appreciate that and accept that position. I may be wrong but I read that as also meaning, lets say i go in for surgery on a broken leg, if I then test positive for covid in hospital with no symptoms then I am classed a person in hospital with covid and appear on those covid cases in hospital figures. Not aying it slants the figures in any particular way or to any large degree but just like to understand the figures that I am being presented with

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fully appreciate that and accept that position. I may be wrong but I read that as also meaning, lets say i go in for surgery on a broken leg, if I then test positive for covid in hospital with no symptoms then I am classed a person in hospital with covid and appear on those covid cases in hospital figures. Not aying it slants the figures in any particular way or to any large degree but just like to understand the figures that I am being presented with

numbers have been with not from since the start havent they, pinch of salt imo