Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not defending the actions of those you see out. But people don't seem to realise that they most likely haven't been sticking to the rules throughout lockdown, just people haven't noticed because it's been behind closed doors. So shouldn't have bad affect on numbers or anything like that. Least it's in the outside now

Still not good and people should stick to the rules until they change

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Govt scientists said no such thing. They reported the observations of the roll out. There are differences between the people who got Pfizer and those who got AZ. Pfizer was generally given to older people and NHS workers, AZ to younger people. AZ did not start as soon as Pfizer, so the time exposure is different. A head to head comparison is not yet possible.

We have seen that worldwide the clinical trial data for Pfizer has been shown in early vaccination studies, for example in Israel. It beggars belief that it works less well in the UK. Equally, the clinical trial data for AZ is good, but not as good. The message here should be that vaccination is making a huge impact, but comparisons between the two in some sort of flag waving contest is premature.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Beautiful day out there. Went for a walk through bushy park, but making it clear to the little one we don’t stop at the playground. Going past it, it was rammed full with people. We had a 2 hour tantrum walk back why we wouldn’t go when all the others can play.

R is going to go up next week the weather isn’t helping us.
Likewise - our local adventure playground was rammed. Adults looked to be making effort to maintain SD though there were some groups - children were being children having a great time

D-S

Visit site
Govt scientists said no such thing. They reported the observations of the roll out. There are differences between the people who got Pfizer and those who got AZ. Pfizer was generally given to older people and NHS workers, AZ to younger people. AZ did not start as soon as Pfizer, so the time exposure is different. A head to head comparison is not yet possible.

We have seen that worldwide the clinical trial data for Pfizer has been shown in early vaccination studies, for example in Israel. It beggars belief that it works less well in the UK. Equally, the clinical trial data for AZ is good, but not as good. The message here should be that vaccination is making a huge impact, but comparisons between the two in some sort of flag waving contest is premature.

i agree we shouldn’t be flag waving and comparisons between two effective solutions to a global catastrophe are premat but the attitude shown by some in Europe has slowed the vaccine roll out (perhaps founded by nationalistic jealousy) and, as we all know, delaying the immunistation programme is harmful for everyone.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
i agree we shouldn’t be flag waving and comparisons between two effective solutions to a global catastrophe are premat but the attitude shown by some in Europe has slowed the vaccine roll out (perhaps founded by nationalistic jealousy) and, as we all know, delaying the immunistation programme is harmful for everyone.

I have heard this nationalistic argument made a lot. It goes two ways, you know. The UK approved AZ despite some questionable data. As someone who has dealt with EMA and FDA, I was not in the slightest bit surprised they were more reticent. The simple fact is that the regulators approve based on clinical data, not indirect biomarker data (such as antibodies). AZ simply doesn't have that clinical data for people over 55. We also know that vaccine responses can be weaker in older people, so that clinical data is needed. It may come with some data from a US study. Note that the early AZ studies were really designed and set up by Oxford and are a bit of a mess. The new US study is run by AZ and will be much better.

The EMA ended up giving AZ a broad approval, but a number of countries chose to allocate AZ to younger patients only. That is actually quite a rational decision. I don't believe for a moment it is some sort of nationalistic slur on the UK. Note also that some people in the UK declined the Pfizer vaccine, wanting the British one (really British-Swedish) one instead.

Funny enough, the US hasn't approved it at all for anyone for much the same reasons as EMA hesitancy, but I don't hear people getting on their case.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have heard this nationalistic argument made a lot. It goes two ways, you know. The UK approved AZ despite some questionable data. As someone who has dealt with EMA and FDA, I was not in the slightest bit surprised they were more reticent. The simple fact is that the regulators approve based on clinical data, not indirect biomarker data (such as antibodies). AZ simply doesn't have that clinical data for people over 55. We also know that vaccine responses can be weaker in older people, so that clinical data is needed. It may come with some data from a US study. Note that the early AZ studies were really designed and set up by Oxford and are a bit of a mess. The new US study is run by AZ and will be much better.

The EMA ended up giving AZ a broad approval, but a number of countries chose to allocate AZ to younger patients only. That is actually quite a rational decision. I don't believe for a moment it is some sort of nationalistic slur on the UK. Note also that some people in the UK declined the Pfizer vaccine, wanting the British one (really British-Swedish) one instead.

Funny enough, the US hasn't approved it at all for anyone for much the same reasons as EMA hesitancy, but I don't hear people getting on their case.

Didn't "beat" them in a world war ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The key goal of this thread was supposed to be how it is affecting you.

IMO we mostly seem to be bickering about statistics/policy? I'm just very pleased we are making huge progress with access to at least two very effective vaccines.

Perhaps a "Covid data" thread should be started by those interested.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The key goal of this thread was supposed to be how it is affecting you.

IMO we mostly seem to be bickering about statistics/policy? I'm just very pleased we are making huge progress with access to at least two very effective vaccines.

Perhaps a "Covid data" thread should be started by those interested.

I can agree with that. As for me, I feel much better at the moment. In 4 short weeks I will have been jabbed or be close to it and can meet my friends in the garden again. All reasons to be positive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a newspaper reader but it’s strange that so many people claim not to read or knock what has been reported to be the largest selling paper in the UK.

The daily racist (with a history of supporting the Nazi party) is a national disgrace of a paper

Always has been.

Also it's 4th

Metro (owned by the daily hail)
The guardian
The times
Then daily rubbish

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I can agree with that. As for me, I feel much better at the moment. In 4 short weeks I will have been jabbed or be close to it and can meet my friends in the garden again. All reasons to be positive.

I'm sure you know, but you are not affected by the vaccine for about 3 weeks after receiving it.
So meeting your friends might be 4 weeks plus 3 weeks?