Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 16999

I see your back to being selective about what you want to believe in that rag always wondered who paid to read such rubbish
Nice deflection mate, first you try the pi@@ take and then when he gives you his “source” you get personal. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 16999

By mentioning his selectivity, fine nice post.
That’s your interpretation, he simply provided his “source” when challenged.

How many “sources” did you require?
Maybe give him a list of your approved “sources” or accept it’s a bit more than rumour or facebook.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The Daily Mail is my rumour monger...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-16-000-Covid-cases-missed-Excel-glitch.html

I really shouldn't take in what I read in the press...

Really?

I follow DM sport, but have always tried to avoid their “news” pages like, well, a virus, because their articles are invariably made up trash.

There has been an awful lot of scaremongering during this pandemic but head and shoulders above all the rest, for their creative writing and use of emotive language, intended I am quite sure to spread fear and panic, has been the Daily Mail. They should be closed down.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He also stated they were rumour mongering, exactly what his first post was.
Not the DM - rumour mongering?

Anyway - apparently Hancock is in HoC this pm not this am. He'll tell us what's happened.

See what happens when you tend to believe what you read in the Daily Mail...you can be led to reach the wrong conclusions...

Should probably be using SQL or something more robust in any case.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not the DM - rumour mongering?

Anyway - apparently Hancock is in HoC this pm not this am. He'll tell us what's happened.

See what happens when you tend to believe what you read in the Daily Mail...you can be led to reach the wrong conclusions...

Should probably be using SQL or something more robust in any case.
Depends what it is your doing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone with basic computer science credentials will have immediately suspected a monumentally stupid error when a numerical error is close to a power of 2, as 16,384 is.

So it comes to me as no surprise that nobody in this £12bn farce noticed.

Root cause aside, and whether or not it was indeed caused by a limitation of Excel, the astonishingly amateur mistake of not verifying the output number is the same as the input number is unspeakably stupid and comes as no surprise from the shower of muppets in charge.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Issues that are normally down to lack of planning training and scaling and IT systems not being fully tested. Common in all areas of business and governments.
Indeed - but not that common for business critical systems - systems for which testing should be subject to intensive customer scrutiny prior to sign-off for live operation.

Yes of course things can go wrong - especially when there are aspects of a system that cannot be tested in a TEST or 'Staging' environment. So here the Covid-19 Testing System may not have a TEST or 'Staging' environment accessible to any separate Track and Trace system (or vice-versa) - and as a consequence full pre-live integration testing might not be possible.

But as a customer that would not be a very clever situation to get yourself into when your suppliers cannot fully test a critical integration aspect of the end-2-end system - unless legacy systems forced you there. As it happens the integration clearly must work - but some pretty basic integration requirements have either been missed, or overlooked in the testing. I struggle to imagine a set of requirements that would not have included a statement of the sort '...the Testing system must be able to manage up to XXk people records a day and pass these records to the T&T system'

If this is indeed something as stupidly simple as an Excel record capacity limit.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed - but not that common for business critical systems - systems for which testing should be subject to intensive customer scrutiny prior to sign-off for live operation.

Yes of course things can go wrong - especially when there are aspects of a system that cannot be tested in a TEST or 'Staging' environment. So here the Covid-19 Testing System may not have a TEST or 'Staging' environment accessible to any separate Track and Trace system - and as a consequence pre-live integration testing might not be possible.

But as a customer that would not be a very clever situation to get yourself into when your suppliers cannot fully test a critical integration aspect of the end-2-end system - unless legacy systems forced you there. As it happens the integration clearly must work - but some pretty basic integration requirements have either been missed or overlooked.

If this is indeed something as stupidly simple as an Excel record capacity limit.

As someone who has spent the last 20 years in IT I can assure you that it is more common than you may think that there are failings on new mission critical systems. Banks have done it and it’s very common in the public sector and it’s normally because some “expert” convinces management that “it will be fine”.

AdamW

Visit site
Gym has told us we have to use mask walking between equipment from tomorrow but not when working out. Not sure if I missed the news on that?

They said government guidelines were making them do it