Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Put a new felt roof on the shed. Well happy how it looks.

Until it rains :ROFLMAO:

I'm due to do mine on Tuesday/Wednesday.
I'm also getting two sheets of OSB for the roof, just not sure whether to nail them on top of existing or replace completely.
Any thoughts?

Yup, wrong thread!
Sorry guys.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm due to do mine on Tuesday/Wednesday.
I'm also getting two sheets of OSB for the roof, just not sure whether to nail them on top of existing or replace completely.
Any thoughts?

Yup, wrong thread!
Sorry guys.

Make sure you buy the right length roofing tacks, and measure twice before cutting and allowing for the overlaps.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mrs wedge was reading a Japanese medical report about how they believe that the old BCG immunisation may be effective in reducing the severity of the coronavirus. It won’t stop it, but can reduce the severity of the infection. I searched around and found these in English - apologies if I missed it already posted in the last few days.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-vaccine-health-care-workers-bcg/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...-vaccine-used-prevent-spread-coronavirus.html

both saying almost identical, but a couple of things I didn’t see in the report but are in the Japanese one.

1. apparently the Asian BCG is different to the UK/ European one, and believed to be more effective than the UK one.

2. Apparently it is/was not compulsory to have BCG in Italy and Spain. Therefore fewer people have had the jab, meaning more people get the severe effects.

a couple of points in the first link that stand out

1. some studies suggest that this protective effect lasts only until an inactivated vaccine (such as an influenza vaccine) is later given. If I’ve read that correctly, the flu jab (given to a lot of older people) negates the effect.

2. a lot of the big business research going on are apparently ignoring this in an effort to find a direct target vaccine

3. There are a number of trials starting immediately, including the UK to look into it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you get the chance to listen to something that's not scaremongering and information from the frontline check out the Andrew Marr interview this morning with Dr Katherine Henderson, President of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine. Every line of emotive, negative and critical questioning (typical BBC) was met with calm reassurance and quashed all his hopes of some drama.

So also posted in Things That Gladden the Heart!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the kids from school did this outside his house.. I think terrific idea..

Attachments

• C10BA3B9-E65D-4236-83B9-C94A0AF73A3F.jpeg
    C10BA3B9-E65D-4236-83B9-C94A0AF73A3F.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 65

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you get the chance to listen to something that's not scaremongering and information from the frontline check out the Andrew Marr interview this morning with Dr Katherine Henderson, President of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine. Every line of emotive, negative and critical questioning (typical BBC) was met with calm reassurance and quashed all his hopes of some drama.

Perhaps Marrs style of questioning was intended to provide the platform/opportunity for the good Doctor to respond in her level headed manner... That she might not of had with a less "emotive, negative, critical" approach...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This sounds like what we need an expert offering up a response that is pragmatic.
I myself am getting a little tired of these stats. For me stats can easily be manipulated to sell a story. In this case death rate is grossly disproportionate to infected, I would caveat the data with those hospitalised and then separate out the ones with underlying conditions. They will then start to see trends which would then help the strategy of containing it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
This sounds like what we need an expert offering up a response that is pragmatic.
I myself am getting a little tired of these stats. For me stats can easily be manipulated to sell a story. In this case death rate is grossly disproportionate to infected, I would caveat the data with those hospitalised and then separate out the ones with underlying conditions. They will then start to see trends which would then help the strategy of containing it.

Agreed. She was asked about things like the rumours of PPE being re-used and said "highly unlikely" and ditto to a few other rumoured issues on the frontline. Stories get manipulated and used to score political points and she just told it as she saw it and had experienced it in reality.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Worked at Leeds Train station last night. Leeds was an absolute ghost town. Didn’t see 1 person walking around while driving to site. Only passed police cars and taxi’s. Feels very much like the opening scenes of 28 days later.

I think the "rage virus" hits us before that stage!

?