Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Correct measures put in place by the government - though I'd like them to have gone further and with more specifics. So for instance we can go out to exercise once a day. Just say that that exercise must be no longer than (say) of one hour duration.

And I use the word must deliberately. I really want statements made by government ministers to be yet firmer than they are. And for me that must mean dropping the word 'should ' in respect of such as 'Unless ... you should stay at home', when in fact we must be being told 'Unless ... you MUST stay at home'. I was listening to a minister this morning and whilst I get the incredibly difficult situation that the government is trying to manage, he used the word 'should' about 6 times in two sentences. In fact what he was telling us is not that we should do X, Y and Z - but that we must do X, Y and Z.

Because for as long as someone can think - 'well the government is only saying that we should do something, then maybe they are saying that we still have some choice as to whether we do it or not'. Yes - it's just language - and the British mindset is to push back against being told by someone in authority that we MUST do something - but I do think that it's important given where we are today.

I suspect (hope) that things will get tightened up in today or tomorrow. And let's get clarity on the government compensation to the self-employed and sole-trader for unavoidable loss of work due to government edict.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like a package for the self-employed is coming.
Similar to the paye package but based on last 3 year's tax returns.

What if you haven't made a tax return yet? I must get my son to do his 2018/2019 tax return (it's complicated and yes he is late but HMRC know) - it'll be his first. But we'll find a way.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What if you haven't made a tax return yet?
The govt have to have figures to work from or people will just make up numbers. It is going to be tough for new start ups, they may just have to take the basic if they have no verifiable figures. Does your lad have even a years worth of accounts or does he not have anything?

Wolf

Visit site
Correct measures put in place by the government - though I'd like them to have gone further and with more specifics. So for instance we can go out to exercise once a day. Just say that that exercise must be no longer than (say) of one hour duration.

And I use the word must deliberately. I really want statements made by government ministers to be yet firmer than they are. And for me that must mean dropping the word 'should ' in respect of such as 'Unless ... you should stay at home', when in fact we must be being told 'Unless ... you MUST stay at home'. I was listening to a minister this morning and whilst I get the incredibly difficult situation that the government is trying to manage, he used the word 'should' about 6 times in two sentences. In fact what he was telling us is not that we should do X, Y and Z - but that we must do X, Y and Z.

Because for as long as someone can think - 'well the government is only saying that we should do something, then maybe they are saying that we still have some choice as to whether we do it or not'. Yes - it's just language - and the British mindset is to push back against being told by someone in authority that we MUST do something - but I do think that it's important given where we are today.

I suspect (hope) that things will get tightened up in today or tomorrow. And let's get clarity on the government compensation to the self-employed and sole-trader for unavoidable loss of work due to government edict.
Rather than reverting to type and whining about the government why don't you use your common sense instead. They've given you all the info you need so you can govern yourself in following the correct steps. You're an intelligent man so you know how much exercise you feel you need each day and you know to keep the relevant distances and what the criteria is in place for travel so just follow the advice.

As for self employed etc they are working it out and when they know the answer so will the rest of us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

What if you haven't made a tax return yet? I must get my son to do his 2018/2019 tax return (it's complicated and yes he is late but HMRC know) - it'll be his first. But we'll find a way.

Complete the tax returns, saves on fines, reminder letters, assessments and worry about it not being done. And assuming something is brought in, then he will be able to claim. Stop wasting time posting on here and get it done on his behalf, would be my best advice.

If you need some help give me a shout.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
On standby today as they didn't have a job for me in the area. I've had loads of emails pinging in, two lads have been turned away by customers this morning as they are closing, other customers closing later today.
Looks like the garden will be getting a good fettling at this rate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The govt have to have figures to work from or people will just make up numbers. It is going to be tough for new start ups, they may just have to take the basic if they have no verifiable figures. Does your lad have even a years worth of accounts or does he not have anything?
Nothing. He didn't really understand (or probably he didn't want to understand in truth) that even although he was earning diddly-squat he still had to do a tax return. He only registered as sole-trader in February - he started work on a sole-trader basis April 2018. He has another 6 weeks or so to get his tax return for 2018/19 done (3months is given following registration to get first one done). I must sit with him sometime today or this evening to get it done. Might be to late.

That said he can provide evidence from his bank account of his last X months income as a sole-trader as it comes solely from two event management companies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rather than reverting to type and whining about the government why don't you use your common sense instead. They've given you all the info you need so you can govern yourself in following the correct steps. You're an intelligent man so you know how much exercise you feel you need each day and you know to keep the relevant distances and what the criteria is in place for travel so just follow the advice.

As for self employed etc they wre working it out and when they know the answer so will the rest of us.
I am simply asking that the government uses stronger language about what they require of us - absolutely nothing more. I am also simply asking for more detail - it is clearly desperately required but many - though I'm clear on what I must and must not do.

That you see my hopes and wishes of the government through a political prism is your issue not mine.

Just heard Sadiq Khan say that we MUST stay at home - that's all the ministers need to say. Close down the wriggle room many seem to look to exploit for their selfish reasons.

I get it 100% - it appears that many do not.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Complete the tax returns, saves on fines, reminder letters, assessments and worry about it not being done. And assuming something is brought in, then he will be able to claim. Stop wasting time posting on here and get it done on his behalf, would be my best advice.

If you need some help give me a shout.
Thanks you. My son is currently on the phone trying to get through to his bank asking them to consider stopping applying charges to his overdraft, and put in place a payment plan to pay it off. He has had to chase as he wrote to them some weeks ago asking same and they have not got back to him - and have continued to apply charges...