Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Working from home I won't be impacted - though my company has put a stop on any non-essential travel or travel to governmental statemented controlled areas of any country.

However as my work is on our Health Account with some large NHS trusts - my actual work will most certainly be impacted and we are planning for significant slippage even although the trusts have not yet advised us of any hold they wish put on their projects with us.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a positive note the disgusting guy who sits behind me in the office has clearly read the emails and posters at work and is using a tissue, which is a first. He usually sneezes into his hand and then leaves the office with the gunk still dripping to clean it off...grim.

Thank goodness I'm only here on a Monday.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mrs wedge works at the local hospital, which puts her and me at higher risk. My company has forbidden all international travel, one lad at work self isolating for two weeks because his parents came over from Italy at the weekend :eek:. No, you couldn't make it up.

Was heading to Japan on vacation next week with a gang of friends, we have cancelled now due to pressures from employers re: travel, and any quarantine implications affecting our wider circles. Trying to decide on losing the flight money or rebooking later in the year on the assumption that travel won't be so much of an issue then.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Major impact .. part of our business runs events and has had to cancel several of these globally so everyone takes a hit.

For us, all international travel stopped. Regional/ local reduce where possible. If someone coughs in the office, we might get a deep clean - which on the plus side means the carpets getting cleaned ?

Video conferencing is the new way of working. It Monday lunch time and I m still in my PJ shorts which goes with my crisp white shirt that can be seen on the calls

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing has changed for me work wise. Like others I am holding back on holiday plans until things become clearer. Only other change I see is that there are hand sanitisers on all the machines at the gym

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had to cancel a planned work trip to Milan which was supposed to be the week after next.
Meeting tomorrow in London with a big bank has cancelled due to all non-urgent visitors being blocked.
I have a 3-day public training course in Milan in May which is having people cancel, it most likely I will cancel it completely.
My colleague from Milan is not allowed to our London office.

Senior management has released some guidelines.

Some of my clients have done some serious work around it, think of critical engineering shift patterns etc,

It's affecting my work in a big way. and it's not fun!

And we almost ran out of bog roll at home.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Business as usual. Staff working and taking full PPE protection on patients that need it but otherwise everything else working perfectly fine. The technicians are having a hard time sourcing stuff but everyone working as best we can in the circumstances

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this what Osborne said would happen ... but is happening for an entirely unplanned reasons.

Dont even dare look at the stock markets today..

D

Deleted member 23270

Biggest impact for me is cutting down on the number of poos I have each day to conserve toilet roll.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it is just one of those junk, copy and paste Facebook posts but read an interesting one that got my conspiracy theorist brain going. Quite a few people I know were hit by a bad flu bug over Xmas, thought they had shook it and it would come back again. What is to say that people have not been getting corona virus for a few months now but it has gone largely unreported as nobody was testing for it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Certainly affected my daughter. She's supposed to be going to northern Italy, supervising a skiing trip with the school. The area is on lock down but the UK govt haven't advised not to travel... the insurance company won't pay up till the Foreign Office advises not to travel.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only way it has affected me is that I've got really wound up by the mass hysteria caused by the media!
Otherwise unaffected.
I'm a self-employed garden maintenance bod, therefore don't qualify for sick pay, therefore won't self-isolate should I inadvertently sneeze or cough.
I work outside and have just lost 5 months work due to the constant rain, I just can't afford to sit at home any more!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And we are very concerned about my son's work and his income.

If all the events and tours he's booked to work on are cancelled by the companies he works with, then he has no income - they might pay him a 'holding' percentage of what he would have invoiced them for - but there is absolutely no requirement for them to do so. He will have zero income and has no savings.

How the heck he will pay his rent, council tax, electricity and gas goodness only knows - and he does have to eat. Well actually I do know...will be us who pays...

But he is very fortunate that he has us. There are very many who could lose much, if not all, of their income - and will have no friendly Bank of MaD to ask for a bail out 'loan' - and even if they get a loan from somewhere many will struggle to pay it back unless it is spread out over a quite long period and with very low or zero interest rates.

I very much hope the chancellor considers all of these folks on Wednesday in the budget.