Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
And then add in those countries that will never give accurate figures. As an example I give you North Korea, who according to their official figures haven't recorded a single Covid case, let alone a Covid death. There are a few other countries who have figures that I am highly sceptical of.
I suppose if nobody gets in or out of N Korea it might be right. :unsure:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Woke up to a txt from the GP

offered my second jab this Wednesday .. still booked in for may 7th so I've swapped them round

Gives me that protections slightly early
I had my first jab at the start of February and have not been offered a second yet. I called the GP surgery a few days ago and they said they are waiting to get some more in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Really concerned that the India Variant will put opening up of venues etc on 21st June at very significant risk (it’s very existence has already increased that risk), and not understanding at all why India isn’t on the Red List. If anything is going to undermine ‘irreversible’ it’s such as the India Variant getting a hold in the country.

Why does this affect me? It would cost me quite a chunk of money...

note that if the answer is more political than epidemiological then don’t bother answering.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really concerned that the India Variant will put opening up of venues etc on 21st June at very significant risk (it’s very existence has already increased that risk), and not understanding at all why India isn’t on the Red List. If anything is going to undermine ‘irreversible’ it’s such as the India Variant getting a hold in the country.

note that if the answer is more political than epidemiological then don’t bother answering.
We do need to be much quicker on closing borders. I hope and pray we don't end up on another merry go round of lockdowns.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I had my first jab at the start of February and have not been offered a second yet. I called the GP surgery a few days ago and they said they are waiting to get some more in.

This is surprising and concerning in equal measure. I had my doubts whether the second jab would be delivered within 12 weeks, never mind the 11 we were all told they were aiming for.

The simplistic guy in me thought that if a practice vaccinated 500 patients with their first dose of AZ in Week 1, then in Week 12 they would have another 500 doses of AZ delivered and simply recall the same 500. But I doubted it would be that easy, even more so with Pfizer given the storage issues.

But I have been called for my second Pfizer 11 weeks to the day after my first. I’m as relieved as I am surprised.

It surprises me to hear of your situation but you do still have some leeway before the 12 weeks has passed.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Guess it hinges on how well the vaccines work against it. So far they seem to be saying they are working.

Question for @Ethan , if a variant should appear that is resistant to the current vaccines, are we back to square one while we wait for a new one to be developed and tested, or would it be just a quick tweak to an existing jab and away we go again?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guess it hinges on how well the vaccines work against it. So far they seem to be saying they are working.

Question for @Ethan , if a variant should appear that is resistant to the current vaccines, are we back to square one while we wait for a new one to be developed and tested, or would it be just a quick tweak to an existing jab and away we go again?

The answer is clearly 'maybe'. Most of the coverage which says that some or other variant is able to evade the vax relates to antibodies tested in the lab against a variant, but the body's immune system is a bit smarter than that and has other weapons, so real world effects may be different.

Once we get out of the first round of vaccinations, boosters become important and updating boosters to catch up with variants will help build a more responsive immune system that gets better and better at dealing with new variants that are not specifically covered. That is what happens with flu. The immune system knows a flu virus when it sees one now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We do need to be much quicker on closing borders. I hope and pray we don't end up on another merry go round of lockdowns.
Quite - it why is it not being done...it should have been done possibly weeks ago. Wait until the variant is established in the country and determine that the vaccines aren’t quite as effective...? Too late.

You don’t mitigate a risk by waiting until the risk happens, that’s what contingencies are for. But if the impact of a risk is highly significant and you absolutely don’t want it to occur, you apply the mitigations as soon as possible after the risk is identified and assessed, and mitigations for it are defined. You do not wait and see.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We were supposed to be going away on Wednesday to Nerja, about a 2 hour drive, and still in Andalucia. Unfortunately Nerja is in Granada region, which has gone into perimeter lockdown.

And we were going shopping in Almeria city on Friday but that is also now in perimeter lockdown.

We now have an appointment for 12:30 on Thursday for the AZ jab but fully expect to be turned away - chaos. Seems they invite more people than they have vaccine for just in case they have no-shows. I know some people who are on their 3rd appointment... Hopefully fully jabbed up by the end of July.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found out yesterday my son got given his jab because he is considered to be at risk for heath reasons. He has absolutely no idea what the health reason is because he does not remember ever going to the doctors since he left home and he is in late 30s now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found out yesterday my son got given his jab because he is considered to be at risk for heath reasons. He has absolutely no idea what the health reason is because he does not remember ever going to the doctors since he left home and he is in late 30s now.
The daughter of a woman at work got an invitation and was jabbed last week. She is 26-27, perfect health, no issues. I think there are some glitches in the system but the more that get jabbed the better. She did query it when she arrived but they simply shrugged their shoulders and said 'if you were invited..........'

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How the hell is putting India on Red list supposed to help us, when in the same breath they decide not to implement it for another 4 days!!!
Surely if your making these decisions you do it straight away
Unfortunately this is what they've done at every stage of the pandemic. I still remember the night they announced the pubs would be closing the next day back at the start of this. I was working that night, driving through London every single pub was jammed full of people, perhaps unsurprisingly. That obviously ended well:rolleyes:

Properly rough night last night. Went to bed about 11 feeling fine. Woke about 1am feeling like I'd been run over by a steam train, shakes shivers sweats aches and pains. Finally managed to get back off about 5am and now feel almost normal again, just a very slight headache and a stiff arm. Weird.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately this is what they've done at every stage of the pandemic. I still remember the night they announced the pubs would be closing the next day back at the start of this. I was working that night, driving through London every single pub was jammed full of people, perhaps unsurprisingly. That obviously ended well:rolleyes:

Properly rough night last night. Went to bed about 11 feeling fine. Woke about 1am feeling like I'd been run over by a steam train, shakes shivers sweats aches and pains. Finally managed to get back off about 5am and now feel almost normal again, just a very slight headache and a stiff arm. Weird.

Sounds like most nights for me:ROFLMAO:

Mind you the doc tells me there is something wrong with he just does not know what.