Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's real then all the President's men and women who have been in close proximity with him over the last few days (and there will have been many) will also have to go into isolation for the period of gestation and then while their tests are processed. And that will include Kushner and Pence and many in the WH. Meanwhile he and they will not be able to be out there energising his support and trying to convert the undecided to his cause. Also remember that yesterday Trump was criticising Biden by claiming Biden was trying to get the next two debates cancelled.
They get their tests done immediately and skip the line for the analysis to be done.
But why? I thought it is a hoax? That what his people say, right?

U

User62651

Got emailed by eldest's school this evening informing of a positive case, they're now tracking contacts so we await to hear who'll need to isolate and maybe get tested (symptoms only). Not too confident wrt the fact tracking in the classroom environment may be reasonable but 90% of the kids pile down to Tesco every lunchtime in a massive huddle, if the infected kid is amongst that how can you track/trace in that scenario?
My mum is in our bubble as a sole occupier and we've just got to hers today for a visit (school hols) all within the rules. Intended staying a few days but may have to leave tomorrow depending on what we hear. Was a bit uncomfortable about coming tbh.

Also my Welsh niece and nephew's school hundreds of miles south in Gwynedd are in a similar situation, 4 kids testing positive there after a trip to Liverpool, they may or may not be sent home, up in the air.

Reading 12,800 new cases just today in UK, not good.

Is another hard lockdown becoming inevitable?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got emailed by eldest's school this evening informing of a positive case, they're now tracking contacts so we await to hear who'll need to isolate and maybe get tested (symptoms only). Not too confident wrt the fact tracking in the classroom environment may be reasonable but 90% of the kids pile down to Tesco every lunchtime in a massive huddle, if the infected kid is amongst that how can you track/trace in that scenario?
My mum is in our bubble as a sole occupier and we've just got to hers today for a visit (school hols) all within the rules. Intended staying a few days but may have to leave tomorrow depending on what we hear. Was a bit uncomfortable about coming tbh.

Also my Welsh niece and nephew's school hundreds of miles south in Gwynedd are in a similar situation, 4 kids testing positive there after a trip to Liverpool, they may or may not be sent home, up in the air.

sounds like a lot of old cases because shock horror theyve had technical issues with the reporting for over a week! doesnt mean the cases havent happened but isnt as massive a one day spike as it looks either

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Be very very surprised if we ever get a full lock down again. All it does is kick the can down the road. Even if they did they would want more of us to go to work with masks etc so wouldn't be as we saw before. Covid "safe" workplaces and all that.

The number of cases increase was always going to happen now we are allowed down the pub, to schools etc but it's the hospital admissions I'd keep an eye on because until a vaccine it's all got to be about goal one set out in march. Protect the NHS. Whilst cases are rising but people are following the rules on self isolating etc and hospitals aren't overun I can't see a full lockdown. Only hints I see to it are in scare mongering newspapers

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree the country wouldn't financially survive another full hard extended lock down I think this 2 week 'circuit break' they are on about is looking ever more likely

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree the country wouldn't financially survive another full hard extended lock down I think this 2 week 'circuit break' they are on about is looking ever more likely

If it does happen will be tied to the schools.. half term just round corner extra week off

Then maybe another circuit breaker at Xmas (lots close for Xmas anyways)..maybe one in Feb tied with half term

Would put the kids 2 weeks behind total which they already saying delay exams by 3 weeks .. so almost adds up a breaker every school holiday

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a letter from the school I invigilate at saying there is a positive case but sounds like not in the year group doing mocks. That combined with the fact we've been told we must clean down every desk after every exam is enough to make me think it's not worth it this time round. Apparently the cleaning is something the teachers do after every lesson too...not sure that is true?!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a letter from the school I invigilate at saying there is a positive case but sounds like not in the year group doing mocks. That combined with the fact we've been told we must clean down every desk after every exam is enough to make me think it's not worth it this time round. Apparently the cleaning is something the teachers do after every lesson too...not sure that is true?!

I know my mum does but she might be the exception

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have to scrub down every possible "touch" surface in the car between lessons...wheel, stalks, mirror, visor, handles, seat adjusters, handbrake, gearstick and anything else I can think of..
So it wouldn't surprise me if teachers do the same.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Schools and teachers in particular are doing a hell of a lot of things to try and prevent the spread, including a lot of cleaning, minimizing sharing of stuff etc. On every schools website will (should) be a risk assessment detailing all they are doing and they make interesting reading.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Scots health guy did not think that a break is a good idea, he said that it would only delay the inevitable.
People sticking to the existing rules is the only answer.

Does not seem to be working in my wee village where many locals are not doing what they should be doing.

Households mixing, families up on holiday, kids parties etc.:(

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Schools and teachers in particular are doing a hell of a lot of things to try and prevent the spread, including a lot of cleaning, minimizing sharing of stuff etc. On every schools website will (should) be a risk assessment detailing all they are doing and they make interesting reading.

Just read it. Students have to clean their desks BEFORE use. I think the Exams Officer added the "just as teacher's are doing" to make invigilators more receptive to the idea of cleaning after exams. As the bubbles are the whole year group I don't think I'm up for the risk nor cleaning duties.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just read it. Students have to clean their desks BEFORE use. I think the Exams Officer added the "just as teacher's are doing" to make invigilators more receptive to the idea of cleaning after exams. As the bubbles are the whole year group I don't think I'm up for the risk nor cleaning duties.

I think this highlights the situation teachers are in. It is of course your choice not to go in based on your perceived risk and personal circumstances, but teachers have no choice and are facing this on a daily basis. Which makes me angry when certain columnists from certain papers seem to portray them as striking workshy layabouts. But I'll stop now before I stray too much into the political arena.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this highlights the situation teachers are in. It is of course your choice not to go in based on your perceived risk and personal circumstances, but teachers have no choice and are facing this on a daily basis. Which makes me angry when certain columnists from certain papers seem to portray them as striking workshy layabouts. But I'll stop now before I stray too much into the political arena.

It does BUT I am on zero hours and basic (living) wage so our circumstances job-wise are quite different.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scots health guy did not think that a break is a good idea, he said that it would only delay the inevitable.
People sticking to the existing rules is the only answer.

Does not seem to be working in my wee village where many locals are not doing what they should be doing.

Households mixing, families up on holiday, kids parties etc.:(

Indeed. My guess is they keep trying to delay it, using school holidays, until a vaccine becomes widely available.
Unfortunately when you try and do something involving the general public using a bit of common sense and thought for others it rarely ends well, selfish people will look for any little loophole they can find to get out of a rule that dont like,you only have to look at a few replies to this thread for proof of that...