Contact Lens Wearers - help!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just back from the hospital seeing the eye doc and have sustained a deep corneal abrasion - flipping heck it hurts. I suspect the culprit may be the air compressor thingies for cleaning shoes after a round as ours have no protective sleeves or anything and I quite often get the angle wrong and spray myself.

So back in a week for assessment and meantime no contact lenses. Never mind the gunk I'm having to put in my eye I'm wondering how it will be to play in glasses as I never ever have??

I did sneak a couple of baskets on the range between the hospital and the chemist and it seemed fine albeit having to adjust my specs from time to time.

Anyone play regularly in either or and notice any difference?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just back from the hospital seeing the eye doc and have sustained a deep corneal abrasion - flipping heck it hurts. I suspect the culprit may be the air compressor thingies for cleaning shoes after a round as ours have no protective sleeves or anything and I quite often get the angle wrong and spray myself.

So back in a week for assessment and meantime no contact lenses. Never mind the gunk I'm having to put in my eye I'm wondering how it will be to play in glasses as I never ever have??

I did sneak a couple of baskets on the range between the hospital and the chemist and it seemed fine albeit having to adjust my specs from time to time.

Anyone play regularly in either or and notice any difference?

Started off with Gregory's but hated it....mainly found putting the problem,it was the whole frame thing that seemed to really put me off.

I now only wear contacts,a couple of times last year I popped the goggles on for 9 holes and it quickly reminded me why I hate wearing them!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wear specs for golf. Never have a problem.

That said, I've never played with Lenses, so I don't know what I'm missing out on. Would love to wear lenses but last time I tried them it was a stressful time that ended up with two trips to the optician for practice getting them in and out of my eye...without actually being able to get them in (after nearly an hour of trying each time).

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear contacts. But not always.

Sometimes I'm in a bit of a rush in the morning to get to the club and don't put them in so just play without. Don't bother with my glasses.

In all honesty it makes no real difference to me. Yeah, my sight is a bit clearer with them in but I can still see the ball and I can still see where the hole is with them out, which is all you really need.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play in glasses and have never had a problem, even in the rain (if it gets too heavy I head for the clubhouse).

Tried lenses many years ago but could not get used to poking myself in the eye to put them in and get them out.

Thought about laser treatment but that would correct my distance vision but leave me needing glasses for reading and close work, which at present I don't need.

Corneal abrasion sounds painful - hope the recovery is quick and complete.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Specs for me.
never tried contacts - just can't get my head round the thought of the feeling....

Only issue with me and specs is horizontal rain. I always wear a cap with a decent peak and find it keeps enough rain off.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speccy here to, never had contacts so always been specs. I don't have any issues, if rains I wear a cap, just need to have a dry towel if they get wet. Only downside is lining a putt, trying to read the line is tricky as the specs I wear you can see below the lenses which makes it difficult to see the break.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear contacts and love them. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if I couldn't wear them and I had to wear my rims for a round of golf then I'd seriously consider not playing! I find that when I wear glasses and try and swing, the rims get in my eyeline (if that makes sense......) and I hit duff shots. Plus, you've got the additional problem of rain sitting on your lenses (if it rains).

That's probably not much use to you though...... :blah:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wear contacts and love them. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if I couldn't wear them and I had to wear my rims for a round of golf then I'd seriously consider not playing! I find that when I wear glasses and try and swing, the rims get in my eyeline (if that makes sense......) and I hit duff shots. Plus, you've got the additional problem of rain sitting on your lenses (if it rains).

That's probably not much use to you though...... :blah:

Kind of how I feel about it and hoping to just have friendly practice games until my eye is fixed. It was meant to be Rawson v Rawson in the winter pairs final on Sunday but hoping he takes pity on his wounded wife and we postpone it.

It was ok on the range but hit a few sh....... unmentionables which for this toe striker is unusual.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have quite a strong prescription for shortsightedness (-6.00 and -4.50) and a bit of astigmatism. I wear contacts nearly all the time and always for golf. Haven't tried to hit a ball while wearing glasses for years. Last time I tried it just didn't seem right. Might have been OK eventually once I had got used to them I suppose.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have quite a strong prescription for shortsightedness (-6.00 and -4.50) and a bit of astigmatism. I wear contacts nearly all the time and always for golf. Haven't tried to hit a ball while wearing glasses for years. Last time I tried it just didn't seem right. Might have been OK eventually once I had got used to them I suppose.

Blooming heck and my mates call me mr magoo!! I'm only 3.25 and 3.5!! Blind as a bat without my specs, have contacts but they have a tendancy to dry out while im playing and and up putting drops in every few holes! Only time the specs bother me is as others have said is torrential rain.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I stopped wearing my contacts as when I was 18 or 19 as made me slightly wonky eyed. Now only wear my glasses at home on when driving up country seem to get on ok playing golf blind lol

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am short sighted in one eye, 5.0 in one, 0.25 in the other. I can't wear glasses, as they give me head aches and double vision. I wear one contact lense, and I would be lost without it. I do wear glasses to play golf though, sun glasses. I don't leave home without them.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Contact lenses for me, tried varifocal glasses horrible for golf

For the people who struggled with contacts its worth trying and keep trying

They are great, better correction to sight as they sit on the eyeball and they are far better if it rains etc

I need varifocal glasses but never for golf now only at home when i take my lenses out

It took a few weeks before they ( specsavers ) found the best pair for distance vision and close up ( good enough to read the card etc without reading glasses

I wear mine 12 hours a day 6 days a week on average and you soon get used to poking your fingers in your eye and touching your eyeballs

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am short sighted in one eye, 5.0 in one, 0.25 in the other. I can't wear glasses, as they give me head aches and double vision. I wear one contact lense, and I would be lost without it. I do wear glasses to play golf though, sun glasses. I don't leave home without them.

Already struggling without sunnies as my gunky eye doesn't like light at all but no prescription sunnies as never really needed them. Also likely to need to do something about reading soon as my arms aren't long enough anymore - ageing is way overrated.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

You would if you lived up her Murph!!;)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Puzzled by the folk that have problems putting lenses in/taking them out.

Luckily it's never been an issue,mind you my optician spent a good 20 minutes with me when I first got lenses to teach me how to perfect putting them in and out...........easy peasy,I recently had to put in a replacement on the course in a howling gale and managed it with no fuss.