Computer question re Libre software

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Last night at an RBL meeting I mentioned about looking for a laptop ( for the branch, old one broke) this weekend in the Black Friday sales. A max price of £300 was agreed. Suffice to say, one of the women at the meeting has sourced a laptop from her company. The tech team used it. The network port is broke( means nowt to me) but otherwise it is perfect for our needs To take minutes from meetings etc.
We have been advised by the tech team to download Libre software to run it. What exactly is Libre. Any help greatly appreciated guys.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Libre is an open source package, a free version similar to Microsoft Office, so you get a spreadsheet package, word processing etc

More than suffice able for us then Fundy. ?

Just one other thing me man. As it will be just for taking minutes. There is no reason to have internet connection. Anything we need off the net we can use phones. So would it be advisable to have it downloaded whilst still at the company once the laptop is wiped clean. Bearing in mind I am not computer literate. ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
More than suffice able for us then Fundy. ?

Just one other thing me man. As it will be just for taking minutes. There is no reason to have internet connection. Anything we need off the net we can use phones. So would it be advisable to have it downloaded whilst still at the company once the laptop is wiped clean. Bearing in mind I am not computer literate. ?

If youre not going to have internet how are you going to circulate the minutes etc (I get the feeling this could be ask a silly question, gets a silly answer....)

If you insist on never connecting the laptop to the internet once you get it :eek: then yes get them to download for you

Tashyboy

Visit site
If youre not going to have internet how are you going to circulate the minutes etc (I get the feeling this could be ask a silly question, gets a silly answer....)

If you insist on never connecting the laptop to the internet once you get it :eek: then yes get them to download for you

They never forward the minutes from the monthly meetings. At the next meeting the previous minutes are read out and matter arising etc from the previous meeting Discussed. One of the main reasons was most of the branch members that go to meetings are elderly and do not have emails. I did actually mention about having internet access, But it was mentioned then about laptop security etc. I did mention that there would be hardly anything on the laptop.
?? just had a messenger message pop up whilst talking, the company is downloading Libre for us. Would it be advisable if owt else free could be downloaded.
Just one other thing, the Secretary obviously will have internet access so she could link up on her internet and send us the minutes in the future, for those of us that have email.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What information are they worried about coming out? Do they really think Russian hackers will want to know what is going on at your meetings?

If you are literally just keeping minutes on the laptop then connect up and crack on.

Perhaps ask to add on some free anti virus / firewall software. Plenty out there.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What information are they worried about coming out? Do they really think Russian hackers will want to know what is going on at your meetings?

If you are literally just keeping minutes on the laptop then connect up and crack on.

Perhaps ask to add on some free anti virus / firewall software. Plenty out there.

This is what I will mention ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
If it's not connected to the internet why would that be necessary?
Ave made a few tentative enquiries to the committee re sending out minutes as fundy mentioned. It looks like it may well be the way forward. ?
The branch is slowly educating its members it is 2022 ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's not connected to the internet why would that be necessary?
Ultimately it is likely to be necessary to connect but even if not, if the people involved are technophobes and the laptop is currently with people who understand tech, then why not get them to add it on? No harm done and then when they decide they do need to connect to the internet they are already protected.

D

Deleted member 23270

Personally I would spend a little bit more and buy brand new with a warranty. If you don't have an internet connection as stated you cannot circulate any minutes other than paper printouts (which means buying a printer?) and you cannot back up to the cloud. Laptop goes kaput you lose everything.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d be recommending a Chromebook. Cheap and easy to use.

Or even a new laptop as Dave says.

£300 for an old laptop from an IT department? Someone is pocketing the cash for an old broken machine instead of binning it.

D

Deleted member 23270

Another thought...is RBL a registered charity and if so can you claim anything back for equipment?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I would spend a little bit more and buy brand new with a warranty. If you don't have an internet connection as stated you cannot circulate any minutes other than paper printouts (which means buying a printer?) and you cannot back up to the cloud. Laptop goes kaput you lose everything.
Backup to a memory stick and print out on any other printer.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have an internet connection you don't need Libre. Office 365 is free to use online. Using that means everything is automatically backed up to the cloud. A brand new Chromebook would do the job and you can get one for under £200.

D

Deleted member 23270

Backup to a memory stick and print out on any other printer.
In principle fine but in real life someone leaves/dies etc, USB stick gets lost or accidentally overwritten. For the amount of money involved in buying a basic laptop and cloud storage it's a no brainer really.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In principle fine but in real life someone leaves/dies etc, USB stick gets lost or accidentally overwritten. For the amount of money involved in buying a basic laptop and cloud storage it's a no brainer really.
Is it likely the laptop and stick are lost/overwritten/broken at the same time?
Don't spend money if the charity needs it for charitable purposes.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I’d be recommending a Chromebook. Cheap and easy to use.

Or even a new laptop as Dave says.

£300 for an old laptop from an IT department? Someone is pocketing the cash for an old broken machine instead of binning it.

it’s not costing us a penny for the laptop BIM, apparently a donation. From what Ave read during the day it’s touchscreen and very good. Seeing as it will cost us nowt it’s very very good.
This all came about coz I opened my cakehole last night at a cheque presentation. On Amazon prime day I saw a Lenovo reduced to £180 from £380. I didn’t buy it coz I didn’t have authorisation. The day after when I spoke to the chairman, it had gone back up. The Poppy appeal woman heard me rattling and asked at work to see if they had owt.Suddenly this laptop turned up. There’s a side story to this which I think helped us/her.