Compressing the ball...

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Been struggling to compress the ball since playing again this year, does anyone have any drills that I could try to help with this problem?

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson last week, trying to sort my swing path/release, however, on quite a few occassions the track man showed a positive number in the attack angle!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Forgive me, but I don't think you really mean what you asked. Compression happens when you hit the ball, the better and harder you hit it, the more the ball will compress. You don't need a negative angle of attack to compress the ball...

Why do you think you aren't compressing it?

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Im not striking down on the ball, and therefore the ball is spinning too much, and ball flight is ridiculously high. I was hitting a 6 iron 140 into the wind because the ball was just ballooning.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try trying to take bigger divots.

It's nothing to do with the divot itself, nor any squeezing of the ball into the ground - that doesn't happen because the ball is long gone at a different angle by the time the club hits the turf.

But the feeling that you have to drive the club-head through the turf is likely to actual strike more oomph!

Btw. If you are producing a + AoA for irons, then you are doing one of - hitting it off a tee; thinning it; hitting the ground first!

If you are NOT producing a + AoA for Driver, you are wasting energy - sizeably -ve AoA will certainly produce more spin/ballooning from Driver. Tee it higher is generally the solution there.

Last edited:

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Try trying to take bigger divots.

It's nothing to do with the divot itself, nor any squeezing of the ball into the ground - that doesn't happen because the ball is long gone at a different angle by the time the club hits the turf.

But the feeling that you have to drive the club-head through the turf is likely to actual strike more oomph!

Btw. If you are producing a + AoA for irons, then you are doing one of - hitting it off a tee; thinning it; hitting the ground first!

None of the above, too 'handsy' at impact, not keeping my hands ahead of the ball. A thin would surely come off low and fast? A heavy would be noticed by a pro watching me? He recommended that I try to hit down on the ball a little more.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
None of the above, too 'handsy' at impact, not keeping my hands ahead of the ball. A thin would surely come off low and fast? A heavy would be noticed by a pro watching me? He recommended that I try to hit down on the ball a little more.

Well, presuming you know what AoA actually means, can you explain how you can get anything more than a marginally positive one without hitting the ground first?

And what the pro is recommending will almost certainly (well, hopefully) work. By trying to hit down more, you are more likely to get your hands ahead of the club-face and avoid the 'flip'. It's this de-lofting of the clubcace that achieves the better 'compression'. at the moment, you are doing the opposite!

Similar concept with my 'bigger divots' suggestion. Forces more foreward and solid wrists/forearms to drive through the turf - but that's an 'in the head' solution.

Last edited:

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
As I said previously, I was getting reading of 5 up on the ANGLE OF ATTACK, but nothing better than zero. The ball was a little low on the club face, but not low enough to be a rocket thin.

I was swaying a little to start off, which would have affected angles etc, I was only looking for some drills, not an exam about the accronyms assosciated with a Track Man!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As I said previously, I was getting reading of 5 up on the ANGLE OF ATTACK, but nothing better than zero. The ball was a little low on the club face, but not low enough to be a rocket thin.

I was swaying a little to start off, which would have affected angles etc, I was only looking for some drills, not an exam about the accronyms assosciated with a Track Man!

Ask your Pro then. He's certainly in the best position to select which drill will be best FOR YOU.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Am I the only one who finds it odd that your pro would tell you to try hitting down a bit more and then not tell you how to do it :confused:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
7.5* driver.... your way up on the ball as you said. I am not going to advise you as your a better golfer than me but I would think you need to hold onto your angles longer...

I am usually 6* down on my 6 iron and 1* up or down on my driver.... Not even in the same ball park as you. I am more about releasing the angles than holding them.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site

For the swaying the ball under the outside of the right foot drill should be good. For the impact drill maybe try and start to swing from the impact position to get the feeling. There's a couple of videos on the golf channel site for the above with Karen Stupples and Anika Sorenstam resp. I'm struggling with angle if attack at the minute and it's mainly due to staying on my RHS through impact so I found this helpful:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AGqVJApKI

Caveat - being off 3 you're a better golfer than me so just my 2 cents.

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Theres not really any need for sarcy remarks is there? I asked a simple question, detailed the faults. Ive tried the two he gave me, snapped an alignment cane and the others are better on grass, but Im practising at the range.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Theres not really any need for sarcy remarks is there? I asked a simple question, detailed the faults. Ive tried the two he gave me, snapped an alignment cane and the others are better on grass, but Im practising at the range.

There is a drill that can be done on range mats that involves placing a ball about 8" behind your target ball.

The idea is to hit your target ball and not the one behind.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is a drill that can be done on range mats that involves placing a ball about 8" behind your target ball.

The idea is to hit your target ball and not the one behind.

That's a bit close imo. Promotes too steep an attack. Starting at 18" and moving it in to just over a foot works pretty well - at least for me.