Competition Entry fee includes 2's Club

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any 2 in any stroke play comp gets paid out £6.
You may, or may not, consider this a 2s pot.
You may consider that there is an included cost in the competition entry fee, or that it's a freebe - but it's not optional.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
£4 entry fee at our place of which £1 automatically goes into the 2's pot....in reality the 2's entry is optional.....but in 17 years membership I've never known a single person to refuse to pay.

Whilst it is probably fair (having had a quick peruse of comp results from this past year) to say that the players who score 2's tend to be at the lower end of the handicap scale (relative to the overall entry demographic) there have been a couple of occasions where only 1 two has been recorded and 18+ handicap players have walked away with the entire pot.

I guess that entry into the 2's sweep at our place is pretty much part of the fabric of the club....all money won goes into the club shop (which isan integral part of the club and not run by a pro for his sole benefit) and players often spend what they have "in the book" as part of a larger purchase....which in turn helps the shop and the club to prosper.

And they might well say that getting 2s is the only realistic way of getting a little financial return from playing in a medal :)

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did away with 2's prizes five or six years ago and have gone to best front and back nine prizes instead. It is all funded from our £3 entry fee per comp.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did away with 2's prizes five or six years ago and have gone to best front and back nine prizes instead. It is all funded from our £3 entry fee per comp.

Does that mean that in an 18 hole Q-Comp players can win money for 9 holes, possibly, get 0.1 back & do the same week after week?? Or is everybody at your Club honest & upright, John??

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ours went up to £5 last year... always had an inclusive 2s Sweep incorporated. All money comes back as credit which can be spent in Pro Shop or Bar. Never heard of anyone objecting to 2s.

- as an aside.... I've been at clubs where the 2s Sweep Prizes were golf balls. That always causes chatter!! Pro V1 users moan about getting anything else, AD333 users moan about getting fewer pro Vs for their money!! (ok, sort of joking, but you know what I mean!)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£4 entry fee at our place of which £1 automatically goes into the 2's pot....in reality the 2's entry is optional.....but in 17 years membership I've never known a single person to refuse to pay.

Whilst it is probably fair (having had a quick peruse of comp results from this past year) to say that the players who score 2's tend to be at the lower end of the handicap scale (relative to the overall entry demographic) there have been a couple of occasions where only 1 two has been recorded and 18+ handicap players have walked away with the entire pot.

I guess that entry into the 2's sweep at our place is pretty much part of the fabric of the club....all money won goes into the club shop (which isan integral part of the club and not run by a pro for his sole benefit) and players often spend what they have "in the book" as part of a larger purchase....which in turn helps the shop and the club to prosper.
So concerned were they about this, at our place, that they run the 2's in divisions 1-15 & 15+....... so Div 1 often pays about £3 or £4.50 whilst Div 2 pays £12 or £14 & a few weeks ago a multiple roll-over of £136 for one lucky Rabbit.... never any roll-overs in Div 1 of course..... but we're still "All in it together" at our Club:eek:.

And they might well say that getting 2s is the only realistic way of getting a little financial return from playing in a medal :)
When this was suggested by our, 'high-H/cap management', I appealed to their reasonableness with this argument at the time suggesting that, to the better players, it would come across as a wee bit selfish & unnecessary.... but to no avail.
So many of us now boycott the whole affair... my £1 now goes to the young guy who staffs the half-way. A thankless task as many of those who fostered the idea of '2's in divisions' are the biggest moaners when it's not open for them on quiet days or there's not a full selection of soups etc.

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Comps are £3 entry at mine and includes 2’s entry.

Prize pots are in 3 classes, 1st (+2 to 7), 2nd (8 to 12) and 3rd (13 to 28)

You generally get more money for your 2 as you go up the classes as there are less made. Prize money is paid in the same classes and is generally around equal amounts due to handicap ratios at the club.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours went up to £5 last year... always had an inclusive 2s Sweep incorporated. All money comes back as credit which can be spent in Pro Shop or Bar. Never heard of anyone objecting to 2s.

- as an aside.... I've been at clubs where the 2s Sweep Prizes were golf balls. That always causes chatter!! Pro V1 users moan about getting anything else, AD333 users moan about getting fewer pro Vs for their money!! (ok, sort of joking, but you know what I mean!)

The former has been suggested recently as we are moving, at long last, to digital sign-up for Comps & an all-in payment would simplify things enormously but I doubt it will happen.
Is that 'No one objecting' to 2's being in one Pot??

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic...

How easy is it for your to find out your 2's balance at your club?

Ours is currently stored on the pro's computer at home, when you ask he has to remember to check when he gets home and then remember the balance until the next time he sees you. This process normally takes about 3 weeks of asking before he finally remembers. I am currently moving club and haven't been able to find out what my outstanding balance is.

Also, when I pick something up from the pro shop using my 2's money, I just say take it from my 2's pot, having no idea how much the item is (normally its just a glove or balls) and having no idea how much is actually in my account.

I can't believe this is norm but happy to be told different, just seems absolutely crazy.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic...

Ours is currently stored on the pro's computer at home, when you ask he has to remember to check when he gets home and then remember the balance until the next time he sees you. This process normally takes about 3 weeks of asking before he finally remembers. I am currently moving club and haven't been able to find out what my outstanding balance is.

Also, when I pick something up from the pro shop using my 2's money, I just say take it from my 2's pot, having no idea how much the item is (normally its just a glove or balls) and having no idea how much is actually in my account.

I can't believe this is norm but happy to be told different, just seems absolutely crazy.

Ours is automatic and credited direct to members Clubcard when competitions are finalised (along with any 'winnings').

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
£3.00 for regular competitions and optional £1.00 in the 2's pot. Recent Stableford there were three of us with a 2 from a field of about 45 so I am quids in.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic...

Monies in your account is stored on the Pro-shop system so is easily accessible by any of the many staff.