Comments on my swing

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably opening up a can of worms here ..... but I wondered if I could ask for any constructive comments on my full swing. Been working on a left handed drill lately to quieten down my leg and hip action (my quick hips and collapsing right leg usually led to a block) and this has helped keep my hands in front of my body and my legs quieter.

I realise my hands are a bit high at address (years of playing with a driver which was too long for me and standing too upright) so I probably need to deal with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtlUekb8c8

My old follow-through was very flat and left so I've been thinking about the old Seve finish over the head. Again this has helped get my hands past my body quicker...but does it look odd to you?

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think your swing is good. Nice balanced set-up. You take the club back inside the line, which is good. I thought the backswing was just a tad short, however.
Anyway, if you'd asked me what handicap this guy had, I'd have said lower than the 8 or 9 you say you have. I imagine you're longer off the tee than most 8 handicappers since you appear to generate some clubhead speed.

christian

www.tourgolfblog.com
John, I think you've got a very solid swing there. I like the abbreviated back swing. It's a lot easier to control, and you still generate a lot of club head speed because you make a good turn on the ball. The new finish looks good to me too. The only thing that stands out is that you tempo may be a tad quicker than I'm used to seeing, but you're getting the club head square at impact, and in the end that's all that matters. Go ahead and groove that swing, because I think it's one you can rely on. Cheers.

Tour Golf Blog

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
John.
I don't want to fall out with Madandra over your swing but I bet you draw more than fade. Correct me if I'm wrong.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done for putting this up.....looks good.

Is it me, or were there one or two, when your feet were closed (right foot back a tad) but your torso/shoulders were open? Could be the angle.

The backswing looks good, I'd like to see it still-frame at the top of the swing. The one handed trick......cool......never dared to video such a feat!

The hands look bit high (as you knew), they also seem quite a way from the body (compared many swing pictures taken at address).

All-in-all, tidy....if you are up to it, try a sideways filming, my coach always did this (a la swing master), there may be more to learn from this angle.

Brave chap!

Dave

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Appreciate the comments, guys.

I hadn't noticed that my shoulders were a little open sometimes when my stance was a little closed. That's a recipe for disaster and something I'll keep an eye on.

And yes, Shanker, I do draw the ball too. My club-face is usually a little closed at the top of the swing and I miss more of my drives left than right. Hence practicing the high finish to try to straighten things up

It's always a work in progress, isn't it?

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
john im by no means a judge of swings as im pretty bad and would love to hit the ball like you but ive been learning to have the hands a palms width away from belt.to me you seem very succesful with a stance that looks like you reach slightly.as i say im not picking faults but rather take this as a positive that i dont need to be perfect as they teach to be good.