Coming on inside and then over the top?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is exactly the problem I have at the moment and with a little work it's very easy to fix.

Imagine your target line, place a ball around 1-2 inches behind the ball you wish to strike and slightly inside it by say 1-2 inches. Take the club outside of that ball then try to get the feeling of picking the club up more vertical so at the top your hands are more parallel to your right shoulder instead of behind it, then on the down swing try to get the feeling of dropping the hands so that you come from the inside of the the ball that you originally went outside off. It's a bit weird at the start but it's a simple drill.

With little effort and only 50/75 balls, I went out and shot 4 under hc in a match play comp, it's very easy to pick something behind your ball on the course so you can keep it going even when playing. Be careful your right hand isn't strong as this can cause you to break to the inside on takeaway .... Make sure it's neutral

D

Deleted Member 1156

Erm......how can you come over the top when swinging from the inside?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could I have some drills to stop coming from too far inside and and then over the top?

I would hope that's 'too far inside' on the backswing and 'ott on the downswing'!

Can't imagine it any other way!

I'd suggest making sure'half way back' position (P/A2) is horizontal and pointing to target.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53724/the-ps-positions-or-as-alignments-in-the-golf-swing

And make sure that you maintain balance correctly - staying pretty much on balls and heels (mid-point) on the backswing and ever so slightly towards the heels at the start of the downswing. Not something to overdo - as weight should shift to ball of left foot at impact, then back towards left heel, but should help avoid the OTT for now. The balance can be practiced by 'swinging' with feet together (or even just on the left leg!) or on balance pads.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I read "coming from the inside" to mean on the way down, not on the way back. The OP didn't make it very clear.

I know it all too well. its taking it behind yourself on the way back. you have to make a lot of compensations in an effort not to get stuck after that! its another thing I am well acquainted with. :(