Club Emblemed Gear?

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played at a course the other day, and saw that the pro shop is now selling clothes with the course's embroidered emblem. These things aren't cheap, a wooly jumper was £70, a shirt £35, and a cap £16. The jumper wasn't bad quality, and I think it was Glenmuir, but the shirts and caps looked like something from Fruit of the Loom. I also saw a headcover, although I admit it did look quite good. They were bloody expensive nonetheless, and it got me thinking.

Playing football, cricket and rugby, I see the importance of showing your team's colours, but is this the same for a golf club? It's not the first time I've seen club logo'd clothing, but does anyone buy it? I can understand if you play for a club team, or maybe to wear on away days, but some people at this club were togged out in this gear for a casual weekday evening round. I don't see any reason not to wear it, but I don't see any reason to pay over the odds for it either. It depends on if you're willing to buy it I suppose.

At that club there was a lad in his late teens, with his club sweater, on top of his club shirt, and finished off with his club cap, who was pottering around the clubhouse and practice area. He had club headcovers on his woods, a club towel, most likely a club umbrella, as well as in his pockets a club scorecard holder, ball marker and divot tool. He wasn't blessed with looks, nor golfing ability by the looks of it, and I couldn't help but think that he looked a bit of a tool :rolleyes:.

What's people's take on this? Does anybody's club have their own logo'd clothing, or does anyone wear any? Does anyone want their club to start selling logo'd clothing, and would you buy it if they did?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most private members clubs have branded merchandise from my experience.
Personally, I have a club swaeter (Glenmuir) and two polos (Cutter & Buck).
Money going to the club and good quality. Sweater was £50 and polos £30 each so no different to normal good quality kit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've only ever bought it when I was playing for the club team. And at my current club jerseys are now supplied by the club for matches so you don't need to buy your own.

As it happens we're planning a club emblem competition - to come up with something that members would quite like to have on a hats and clothing. The current club crest is old fashioned and very finicky for such as jerseys or shirts. But if we can come up with an emblem that is modern and looks good - then maybe I might buy a shirt or a jersey, but only if the Mrs felt it suitable for wearing other than on the golf course.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have tops from clubs - Loads of IJP from Woburn all branded. Also some from LB.

Also have bobble wood covers from various places

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Most of the time it should be the same price as it would be unbranded.

Some people like to pick items up from clubs they have visited.

I am not a fan of having a lot of club items. I was at Gleneagles last year and every member there looked like the club shop had been selling everything for a pound. Head to toe in Gleneagles stuff, I think the were worried that they would get lost.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have loads of polo shirts bought from the proshop. Nearly all have the club logo, but logo is generally quite discreet. But main reason for buying is that the shirt are v good quality and I like them better than any other shirts. Not cheap but hey ho, good things never are.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
our club shirts have to be worn when representing the club on matches.iy is a privately owned club and the owner says that you dont play for Man Utd whilst wearing a Chelsea shirt..must say they are not the best quality but,they are only £19

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
My rule of thumb is by all means own several club bits of attire but never, repeat never wear more than one item at a time with club logos.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My rule of thumb is by all means own several club bits of attire but never, repeat never wear more than one item at a time with club logos.

Very good rule sir :)

Just match and scratch team shirts for me, shirts are white (yuck) and not the greatest quality but needs must. Dont tend to wear normal wool jumpers, more a GG insula wearer and club dont offer them

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My club request that club colours are worn for all club matches, I've bought a club branded Glenmuir slipover for £30 and a club branded long sleeve Glenmuir jumper for £55.

Decent quality and should last for ages.

Also own a club branded woolly hat which I had to buy last winter having left mine at home on a cold windy day.

Don't wear club stuff unless I'm playing in a match though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have a new logo this year. It looks terrible. I certainly won't be buying anything with this logo, that's for sure!

The old one looked a bit old, but the new one? I think they had a competition in the local primary school to design it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive got a fair bit of club logo'd stuff TBH. Why wouldn't you if its good stuff. Our pro shop stocks all designer brands and you get some real bargins.

Ive a few CK marino wool jumpers with were a steal and good quality along with some CK shirts at were cheaper than a plain shirt. Also a some nice Ralph Lauren shirts at at £25 and jumpers from the end of season sale.

why not advertise the club rather than some random club manufacturer?