Club cup winners vs hcp

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For all concerns about club comps being dominated by high hcp players, here is some stats from our club.

Dataset: 26 winners of club trophy/cup comps (entry hcp is limited to 20).

Mean hcp: 8.6
Standard deviation: 5.5
75% percentile 12.1

In other words, more than half of the winners are single digit hcp players and 3/4 are not even in the teens.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
For all concerns about club comps being dominated by high hcp players, here is some stats from our club.

75% percentile 12.1

In other words, more than half of the winners are single digit hcp players and 3/4 are not even in the teens.
Think the bold wording might have an effect and account for why this trend may not be seen in some other clubs!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

75% percentile 12.1

Surely that has an affect ?

So looking at our board comps

Lowest HC was 10

Highest was 22

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

75% percentile 12.1

As stats go, pretty useless. You've restricted the filed to 20, you've got 3/4 playing off 12 or less, of course you're going to have a fair smattering of single digit winners. You haven't rolled out what those are, but here's my away club stats

1728725636541.png

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As stats go, pretty useless. You've restricted the filed to 20, you've got 3/4 playing off 12 or less, of course you're going to have a fair smattering of single digit winners. You haven't rolled out what those are, but here's my away club stats

View attachment 55356
My data sample is whatever it is I don’t make up rules for trophy comps. At least it is more statistically relevant than the quoted above sample of 6 trophy comps.

Anyone is welcome to draw any conclusions they like 🙃

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
you've got 3/4 playing off 12 or less
Not true, the 3/4 of the winners are 12 or less, the field which for these comps had typically over 100 players is much more diverse and if anything it’s likely to be the reverse, ie 3/4 will have a Hcp above 12.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not true, the 3/4 of the winners are 12 or less, the field which for these comps had typically over 100 players is much more diverse and if anything it’s likely to be the reverse, ie 3/4 will have a Hcp above 12.
How are we supposed to know, your "stats" were a mess, and still you've limited the field to a 20 handicap

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
My data sample is whatever it is I don’t make up rules for trophy comps. At least it is more statistically relevant than the quoted above sample of 6 trophy comps.

Anyone is welcome to draw any conclusions they like 🙃
My sample had over 20 medal rounds, if you'd followed the original thread, which I assume you had hence this one, you'd have seen the fact that high handicaps win all single round trophies, yet when it's not a trophy on the line they don't, was significant

But hey, you defend a system that rewards mediocrity, and I'm being generous with the mediocre

CountLippe

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of plus handicaps nowadays…
I don’t remember there being so many prior to whs

I think this is because in the olden days, once you got to cat one the reductions were only 0.1 per shot. Therefore to to get from 5.4 to - 0.5 literally took ages. No gen play cards either so all comps. Nowadays you can do it in 8 rounds! Under the old system it took far too long imo.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I think this is because in the olden days, once you got to cat one the reductions were only 0.1 per shot. Therefore to to get from 5.4 to - 0.5 literally took ages. No gen play cards either so all comps. Nowadays you can do it in 8 rounds! Under the old system it took far too long imo.
It's not just that, when we switched to WHS, anyone 3 or under generally got one shot if not 2 shots cut from their handicap, the sweet spot seemed to be 5-7 that didn't chnge much, and those over started getting progressively more shots than they had under WHS