Club Committees ...ideal skill mix

IslaG

Visit site
I was wondering what mix of skills you would consider important if you could magic up your 'most likely to be effective' management committee for a mid-size golf club with a day to day manager in place. Just reviewing the short bio of this years nominees and got to thinking ...what skills / previous work experiences would be important to have on a management committee NB serious question ...ability to drink at 19th is not a management skill ;-)

Jason.H

Visit site
A good green keeper with a passion to make improvements. The club I’ve joined Has a few areas that hold rainwater and a bit of drainage here and there would transform it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A knowledge of green keeping would be helpful.
Knowing what can be done at certain times of the year and what Cant.
Not for the committee. That's exactly what the head greenkeeper is paid to do. Don't interfere with the man employed to be the expert.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was wondering what mix of skills you would consider important if you could magic up your 'most likely to be effective' management committee for a mid-size golf club with a day to day manager in place. Just reviewing the short bio of this years nominees and got to thinking ...what skills / previous work experiences would be important to have on a management committee NB serious question ...ability to drink at 19th is not a management skill ;-)
Marketing skills and experience relating to consumers not corporations.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not for the committee. That's exactly what the head greenkeeper is paid to do. Don't interfere with the man employed to be the expert.
Yes he is paid to do his job.
But a little knowledge stops you asking for things you know he will say no to.
There is never any harm in asking a question as long as you accept his answer.
This happens all the time more I would wager with people who don’t know anything about greenkeeping so wasting more of his time.
That’s why you would not be so busy on here if we knew more about the rules I would say.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes he is paid to do his job.
But a little knowledge stops you asking for things you know he will say no to.
There is never any harm in asking a question as long as you accept his answer.
This happens all the time more I would wager with people who don’t know anything about greenkeeping so wasting more of his time.
That’s why you would not be so busy on here if we knew more about the rules I would say.
This is true, though I think that maybe what is required is that, quarterly perhaps, the head greenkeeper briefs the committee on what he is planning for the coming months, though I am thinking that this already happens at most clubs, plus the committee could also ask the head greenie to give them an occasional briefing on different aspect of agronomy and course management as might apply to the course.

D

Deleted member 15344

A knowledge of green keeping would be helpful.
Knowing what can be done at certain times of the year and what Cant.

That’s the job for the fully qualified greenskeeper that the club employs

The HG is the expert - nothing worse than “Committee” or even members thinking they know more

He should have one person that he speaks to to liaise with in regards budgets etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is true, though I think that maybe what is required is that, quarterly perhaps, the head greenkeeper briefs the committee on what he is planning for the coming months, though I am thinking that this already happens at most clubs, plus the committee could also ask the head greenie to give them an occasional briefing on different aspect of agronomy and course management as might apply to the club’s course(s).
Our Head GK is brilliant.
I always make a point of asking what he is doing / got planned for the course.
He is also very open to suggestions as to what we would like to see.
He then explains why we can’t have it;)
Usually it’s money or lack of.
We get a monthly email of what’s going on on the course and planned maintenance.
Atm it’s getting rid of the water in the ponds it’s got nowhere to go as everywhere is full to the brim.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s the job for the fully qualified greenskeeper that the club employs

The HG is the expert - nothing worse than “Committee” or even members thinking they know more

He should have one person that he speaks to to liaise with in regards budgets etc
I never said “ they know more” quite the opposite.
Our GK asks the golfers opinions on things before he changes anything .
Not actual things about the grasses etc, but layout ,new bunkers etc.
He’s very approachable and highly thought of for his interest in what the golfers want.
But he’s in charge and makes his own decisions.

But a little knowledge will stop you asking for things he can’t supply.
It’s like doing your homework before a meeting.
My original post said Comittiee should just have a little knowledge not tell the GK what to do.!