Club Championship- What would you have done?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I fear this is what people aren’t understanding. Giving 6 shots away to a guy off more handicap than you might be doable. Giving 6 shots away to a guy off +2 is just a one way street.
9 down after 27 holes is not bad going.
A good handshake on the 27th green is fine by me
yes, maybe if should have been stableford;)

Visit site
No shame in conceding. I was 4 down with 5 to play and he was knocking putts in for fun 12-20ft in our semi final scratch (that’s the name of it and not being elitist) knock out. I wasn’t playing well and wanted him to hit it close on par 3, but he 3 stabbed it and we had to go on. I conceded on the next after I had to go for a par5 in 2 over water, I shook his hand congratulated him and said you putter me off the park tonight good luck in the final.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fine by me and seems sensible. Did come across similar a week or two back in an inter club match which was not OK in my book.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a guy this year off 14 in a handicap competition and beat him easily. I was then also supposed to play him in the 1st round of the scratch KO but he conceded before a ball was even hit. He said, "there's no way i'm going to beat you off scratch so you can have it". Why did he even enter?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have played to the end, so the oppo can win the last hole to win the championship and not have it coneeded. Conceeding makes it more about you than the winner in my opinion.

I seem to remember years ago a pro was something like 9 down with 12 to play. He was conceeded a ten foot putt for a halve as opponent felt sorry for him. Then went on to win the match in extra holes.:eek: I would always play to the bitter end.:)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fine with me.

Personally I wouldn't until it was impossible for me to win regardless of how badly I'd played until that point.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a summer knock out two years back me off 11 and the opponent a 5 capper I was 5 up after 9 played the best golf I’ve ever played.Being a links course the wind was up and then came the rain we soldiered on I thought he’s going to throw the towel in after the front nine .He didn’t and kept playing ended up beating me with a chip in birdie on the 18th I was absolutely devastated throwing that away he did say after the game god help anyone playing you off 11 if you play like that lesson learnt never give up.