Classical music

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Perhaps not a thread that will run long or far. My early days, especially Sundays, were filled with loud classical music. It was usually the better known and heavy metal end of it like the 1812 Overture, Napoleon's retreat from Moscow or Beethoven's 9th. Throw in a bit of Verdi and you might get the picture. My dad would pour himself something to savour and the old Grundig would be cranked up.

My first album purchase was a huge shock to my dad. He expected Slade. It was Gustav Holst's, The Planet Suite. He didn't have a copy, and was doubly surprised I knew it. Like the modern, I guess not so modern, 45's it comes in bite sized chunks, e.g. Jupiter runs for about 7 minutes. Many of you will have heard it many times without realising its origins. And perhaps the same with Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma Variations, another popular piece and often stolen for use elsewhere.

Everyone's tastes change and broaden. I'm just as happy with Genesis, Gun 'n' Roses, Adele or whatever. My music collection is as big as it is wide.

My current favourite piece of classical music might be thought a bit busy and complex but I find light, flighty and bouncy and I can get lost in it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
You might be surprised at who does & doesn't listen to a bit of classical music Brian. I see Manfred Mann get an indirect mention in your post, although not in the stolen part ;)

Anyway, I digress. Here's my first contribution. Sadly discovered in the aftermath of 9/11, so sad yet relaxing at the same time;

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My liking of classical music started when my father, when I was about 11, bought a Readers Digest boxed set. He liked the music of the Strauss family & would put a few albums on the autochanger (!) Unfortunately he included Till Eulenspiegel by Richard Strauss & was somewhat puzzled by the weird sounds produced by a composer who hadn't been dead long enough for his music to sound nice.

My favourite, then & now, was Tchaikovski's "Pathetique" symphony. Just one great tune after another, old Peter Ilych is my all time favourite, followed by Elgar, Mozart & Dvorak.

When you know classical music you find classical tunes popping up everywhere. Procol Harum borrowed a lot, as do other bands with classically trained musicians.

I love music, can't understand people who don't like it.

D

Deleted member 16999

You might be surprised at who does & doesn't listen to a bit of classical music Brian. I see Manfred Mann get an indirect mention in your post, although not in the stolen part ;)

Anyway, I digress. Here's my first contribution. Sadly discovered in the aftermath of 9/11, so sad yet relaxing at the same time;

Do you not remember the original? ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

Ouch! (n)

Me no like the start. Not fussed with the middle. The end, when it stops, is brilliant!
Think of how many may of been introduced to Classical Music by “Pop Artists” sampling it though.:unsure:

D

Deleted member 16999

Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel sampled by The Farm

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a great fan of Ralph Vaughan Williams

Digging out the vinyl made realise I had not listened to Sinfonia Antartica for absolutely years and also made me buy a couple of new CDs - one of this and Symphs 8 & 9.

The Lark Ascending is one of all time favourites.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Barber' Adagio - hairs up on the back of the neck time.