choose a club

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have moved this year.
The major reason for moving was living too far away and not getting value for money for pretty much once a week golf.
I played all the clubs in the local area, sounded people out about them, checked out fees, comps, the pros, facilties, practice etc etc...
I've made the move and just got stuck in, played with different people....
Just got to do your homework.....

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First thing I look at is dress code, if they allow people to wear shorts with ankle socks on the course you never know what kind of riff raff might turn up.
After that the quality of the wine list is a factor .
Get those right and the course is usually acceptable.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yeah I think he may come back with a bag of blue pills for sale ;)

Hope he does a fitting service 😁 However he needs to post a few more comments before he can advertise in the for sale section. Forum rules 👍😁

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perfect
What’s your course?
I’m in a dilemma the course I’m at now has no real practice facilities but has great set of lads with a great 19th
Course same distance but the other way from mine better layout very good practice facilities better run club overall but everytime I’ve been in the bar after it’s empty

Farleigh in Surrey

njt1986

Visit site
Do people really use the golf club you’re a member of socially?

I don’t think I’ve ever really got involved socially at any course I’ve been a member of, as far as I remember. Other than a couple of charity golf days to help raise money for Cancer Research or something.

If you have (or do), and you don’t mind me asking, how old are you and why?

And if you don’t, the same question.

I’m 33 and I’ve not got involved much, or even really gotten to know many members at clubs I’ve been a member of, because the members have either been (in general) considerably older - so I’ve felt I wouldn’t have anything in common - or the younger ones/ones around my age have been cliquey and always hang about in the same groups.

Plus, I’m a solo golfer, in general...I mean, there’s a guy I play with fairly regularly now who works for me and we get on well but I tend to use my time on the course as time to break from life/work/family etc. And have a little “me time”, you know? So the thought of knowing loads of people personally who may want to chat or join me on a round is a bit... annoying isn’t the right word, but I don’t want to be bugged while I’m out playing a round.

I honestly didn’t realise that the social aspect of a club is something that people even take into consideration.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do people really use the golf club you’re a member of socially?

I don’t think I’ve ever really got involved socially at any course I’ve been a member of, as far as I remember. Other than a couple of charity golf days to help raise money for Cancer Research or something.

If you have (or do), and you don’t mind me asking, how old are you and why?

And if you don’t, the same question.

I’m 33 and I’ve not got involved much, or even really gotten to know many members at clubs I’ve been a member of, because the members have either been (in general) considerably older - so I’ve felt I wouldn’t have anything in common - or the younger ones/ones around my age have been cliquey and always hang about in the same groups.

Plus, I’m a solo golfer, in general...I mean, there’s a guy I play with fairly regularly now who works for me and we get on well but I tend to use my time on the course as time to break from life/work/family etc. And have a little “me time”, you know? So the thought of knowing loads of people personally who may want to chat or join me on a round is a bit... annoying isn’t the right word, but I don’t want to be bugged while I’m out playing a round.

I honestly didn’t realise that the social aspect of a club is something that people even take into consideration.
I've never once been down to my golf club and not played golf. When it used to have catering I would eat breakfast/lunch before/after the round, always a couple of pints after the round, but I'd never go down there and do that without playing.

njt1986

Visit site
I've never once been down to my golf club and not played golf. When it used to have catering I would eat breakfast/lunch before/after the round, always a couple of pints after the round, but I'd never go down there and do that without playing.

Same, I’m not a member now, I like to go and visit different clubs and try new places. Whenever I have been a member of somewhere I will always get a coffee and a sandwich or something, just because I feel like i kind of need to pay something to help the club. But that’s it for me really