Choking down clubs / lofts

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

Last weekend I found myself playing a few knocked down irons to try and keep the ball out of the wind and it seemed to work well. I played a couple of shots to the greens twice as it felt so nice. I do have a problem with a high ball flight that my pro tells me is 90% me and not my shafts. Might it be worth having a degree or two knocked off my lofts or is it a case of the shots were nice to play as the club was effectively shorter? I guess the other thing people may say is that I should leave the clubs and sort the swing.

Any thoughts, I know people do have their lofts changed to help there ball flight, are there any ramifications? Does it change anything else at the same time?

Thanks

Alex

PS Swinger, thanks for your post in the old thread that was in the wrong section.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moved!! :D

Dynalight Gold XP - S300

You may well be doing something to hit the ball high but the shaft plays a huge part in this.

I had the standard TTDG S300 shafts and found they put the ball on a nice flight but with too much spin making the ball ballon into a wind.
I had to play a lot of softer knock down shots to combat this so the ball didn't spin as much.

I now have X100 shafts which are much better but still not perfect.

I wouldn't tinker with the lofts too much, hitting softer shots into the wind is never a bad thing really unless you have a long way to go and will struggle to get up.

I'd try out some other shafts in the future and compare the spin rates.

I found the Project X's even worse which is why I stayed with TTDG, just got the slightly heavier ones.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tend to agree with your Pro. Two key changes in knock downs - moving the ball an inch or two and not trying to hit it too hard. This (personally speaking) makes it alot easier for me to 'cover' or be 'over' the ball at impact' and not be behind it.

Cheers

Matt

2004Champ

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a similar problem to you.I tend to balloon the ball with my irons and playing in the wind is a nightmare.

I think you have done the right thing getting the x100 shafts - I recently went to Taylor Made for a fitting for a driver and 3 wood and they fitted me for a heavy shaft in extra stiff cause it was the only way they could get my spin rate down, so I. don't see why my irons should be any different.