Chipping

chipping

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,
When you are chipping around the green do you use the same club every time and just vary the swing or do you use lower lofted clubs to get more run?
I use the same club (pw) as I tend to be more accurate with it for distance and control,if I need to clear a bunker I go down to my sand wedge.
Only asking as I have read conflicting information, some say use the same club and some, vary for length IE: 9,8,7 irons, I have tried this but just can`t judge the distance very well at all, using the lower lofted clubs.
Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Practice is the key here. And not just hitting a few balls with each club. Spend 20 minutes with each club - 4 iron to SW - (not in the same session - you'd be there all day!)
Then you'll have an idea as to how the ball will react off each club.
I tend to use my 3 Ping wedges to chip but I'll use whatever will get the job done. Try to land the ball just on the green to get it rolloing asap. Knowing how far each club will run out means you then know which club to use.
This is one area we just don't practice enough and it can shave many shots off your handicap if you do.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's up to the individual really.
Having said that most of the good players and ALL of the tour players use different clubs.
I repeat its just practice and always try and make the balls first bounce on the green if possible
However, if you want to experiment think of it this way...
A 7 iron will fly 1/3 of its journey and roll 2/3
So for a shot of 15 yds, try and land the ball 5 yds and it will run 10yds.
With a PW its 1/2 and 1/2
If you have a chipping green place a towel on the green and practice landing the ball on the towel. That way, your not focusing on the flag but where you want to land the ball
Good luck and happy practicing :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to try and assess it shot on its merit and will choose the right club (in my mind) for the job. My stroke isn't perfect (it's getting better) and have always tried to land the ball on the green as its the only place that will guarantee any semblance of a uniform bounce.

chipping

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the advice,will be trying to put more time into practice on my short game, I know this is where I can improve and save shots and get that H/CP down.